FA Cup fourth round replay: Wigan v Bolton

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup fourth round replay: Wigan v Bolton

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 am

Verbal wrote:this was a weird game.

We deserved the win, clearly. Their defending was comic, midfield kamikaze and their attack impotent.

However we need to learn to finish our chances. Klasnic should have had two, Muamba one and if Petrov could stay onside for once Elmander should have had one.

Can't be too pessimistic though. Wheater was excellent at the back and Bogdan only had one save to make IIRC. CYL was boss as usual, and Mavies was good forward and back. Hope Ricketts is ok.

Oh, and one final word. Wigan fans...LOL. This is the first time I've been to a game where I actually thought the away fans outnumbered the home fans. And having not see the attendance figures yet it could quite possibly be true.
Are you doing the report, Verbal?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 am

Salford Trotter wrote:
Verbal wrote: Oh, and one final word. Wigan fans...LOL. This is the first time I've been to a game where I actually thought the away fans outnumbered the home fans. And having not see the attendance figures yet it could quite possibly be true.
The crowd was 7,500 and I'll even revise my own earlier estimations after chatting to a couple of pals and say the split was 50:50
Seriously, I wish I had a camera...one stand shut, and the other two barely half full. Our end seemed pretty much full, but I'll admit that I hadn't the best view of our crowd.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 am

William the White wrote:

We deserved the win, clearly. Their defending was comic, midfield kamikaze and their attack impotent.

However we need to learn to finish our chances. Klasnic should have had two, Muamba one and if Petrov could stay onside for once Elmander should have had one.

Can't be too pessimistic though. Wheater was excellent at the back and Bogdan only had one save to make IIRC. CYL was boss as usual, and Mavies was good forward and back. Hope Ricketts is ok.

Oh, and one final word. Wigan fans...LOL. This is the first time I've been to a game where I actually thought the away fans outnumbered the home fans. And having not see the attendance figures yet it could quite possibly be true.
Who made you ratbert? :wink:

Yeah I will...but not tonight...too many ales obscuring the mind.
Last edited by Verbal on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Odelay
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Odelay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 am

Apparently Ricketts might have a ruptured achilles.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 am

Good win, but disappointed to hear about Ricketts's injury. If that's the price we had to pay for a 5th round tie, was it worth it??

Hopefully Steinsson will come back in form, if not it'll be Robbo at RB and Alonso LB...I think...

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 am

Gutted to hear about Ricketts. I hope Steinsson can stay fit to play. I take it Alonso played RB tonight? Do you reckon he'll be good enough to play there?

I've been trying to find the highlights/Klasnic's goal from tonight but it is nowhere on the internet yet, if anyone finds it can they post it please :oyea:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 am

Looks like he's out for a bit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 400135.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boo :(

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 am

chaddy_bwfc wrote:Gutted to hear about Ricketts. I hope Steinsson can stay fit to play. I take it Alonso played RB tonight? Do you reckon he'll be good enough to play there?

I've been trying to find the highlights/Klasnic's goal from tonight but it is nowhere on the internet yet, if anyone finds it can they post it please :oyea:
Aye, seconded on the shout for highlights...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 am

chaddy_bwfc wrote:Gutted to hear about Ricketts. I hope Steinsson can stay fit to play. I take it Alonso played RB tonight? Do you reckon he'll be good enough to play there?

Nah, Robbo went to right back and Alonso played LB...apart from a some lazy play which let their winger get behind him as soon as he came on, he looked alright.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 am

Well I'm not f*cking surprised :lol:

Owen Coyle has moved to praise the Bolton Wanderers fans at the DW Stadium, saying that their backing made the tie 'feel like a home game'.

Over 2,500 supporters made the short journey from Bolton and they helped to ensure Wanderers progressed to the last-16 of the FA Cup.

Coyle said: "At times it felt like a home game. Our fans sang and gave superb backing throughout the full 90 minutes.

"With the tie coming so quickly after Sunday's win against Everton, it was pleasing that we brought so many supporters for the derby.

"You can see how much it meant to the players in that every single one went over to the fans at the end to show their appreciation.

"We'll now make sure that the players have some time to recover for the trip to Craven Cottage on Sunday. We know that a place in the quarter-finals awaits the winner and that is something that we want to achieve.

"I've always said a good cup run can go hand-in-hand with good league form. We are looking forward to Sunday and hopefully we will have the backing of the Wanderers on the road again."
Source: http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1 ... 47,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:47 am

i forgot to mention that the state of the pitch didnt help, it is a disgrace that a PL/FAC game can be allowed to play on that. I bet they're forced to relay it soon :evil:
The Voice Of Reason

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 am

Salford Trotter wrote:i forgot to mention that the state of the pitch didnt help, it is a disgrace that a PL/FAC game can be allowed to play on that. I bet they're forced to relay it soon :evil:
On the contrary. They'll be kicking off the rugby next week instead to churn it up further.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 am

Nice to get a win and now looking forward to taking down Fullham.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:02 am

Well done - through to the next round... Remind me who you have now?

Just checked - Fulham. Good luck they're playing quite well at the moment but then so are you lot. Should be a close game. Hope you win.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 am

Verbal wrote:
William the White wrote:

Who made you ratbert? :wink:

Yeah I will...but not tonight...too many ales obscuring the mind.
I'm Ratbert - the one and only. 8)

Have just had a report from the Lord of Kangana. So nurse that hangover, Verbs. :wink:

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am

How about playing Matty Taylor at RB? He's a left-back by trade, but has been played on the right-wing quite a few times. Surely he's the best qualified to play there in the absence of a recognised RB....
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/the-other-cup-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here it is

Latham8wfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latham8wfc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 am

Christ i'm hungover.......

I am very happy!!!! thought everything from Bolton last night was fantastic, the fans, the players and Mr Coyle's team selection and tactics. I am a big believer that confidence at the top level is one of the most important attributes a player can have, and after two victories with two clean sheets we are back playing the same confident football we were earlier in the season.

Bring on Fulham!!!!
http://twitter.com/New_Latham8wfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 am

Odelay wrote:Apparently Ricketts might have a ruptured achilles.
If it is and it's the real deal then it's a horrendous injury. He'll be lucky to get back before 2011 ends.

One function of the achilles is to support the calf muscle. If it severs the calf muscle simply flops down like a blancmange onto your ankle. I saw it once & initially had no idea what had happened to the guy. Then a team-mate who was a medic explained as he was being carried off. I could have up-chucked.

It's to be hoped that it's a contained rupture rather than the full deal..
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 am

I did my achilles 20 years ago as part of a very nasty and complicated ankle injury.

I realise I'm not a fully trained athlete with high class medical facilities to hand. But my leg has never been the same since, and occasionally gives me gip. I wish him luck and hope it isn't too serious.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.