"The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons) (A)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 am

Peter Thompson wrote:This is part of the problem IMO - the acceptance of mediocre players and making excuses to why we should just accept poor quality players who put in the effort.

I know we have no money, but unless we are writing off yet another season before the end of August - surely we should expect our first team players to have some quality as well as just effort, to at least give us something to look forward to week in week out....as opposed to listening to people saying 'yes he's shit but at least he tries' !! because that's not going to get us out of the bottom 6 anytime soon is it.
Sorry but that is nonsense. We all want better players but booing Liam Feeney isn't going to make him better.

Booing anyone isn't going to change anything for the better. We can't afford better players. So perhaps a bit of unity and support would help, at least it wouldn't make it worse?

If Liam Feeney goes the replacement will more than likely be no better, or worse. Because that is where we are right now. We can stamp our feet, boo, hiss and call Eddie Davies and Gartside all the names we want, but it won't change a thing. And will likely just make things worse.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:28 am

^^ but he's not shite. Limited and inconsistent maybe but we've all witnessed shite in our time and that's not what we're watching. In our written-off season so far we've seen one good performance, one awful one and two which we've completely dominated but failed to score.

That's an issue but hardly the reason to have to hide the sharp objects.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 am

Who's mentioned booing him - not me, not once in that above reply.

I simply said that he's not good enough and that we shouldn't have to put up with shit players just because they try hard and put in the effort.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 am

bobo the clown wrote:^^ but he's not shite. Limited and inconsistent maybe but we've all witnessed shite in our time and that's not what we're watching. In our written-off season so far we've seen one good performance, one awful one and two which we've completely dominated but failed to score.

Bobo - this is a matter of opinion, which everyone is entitled too - mine is that Feeney is shit, yours & BWFCI's obviously not.

My opinion of Feeney has nothing to do with the 1st few games of this season, I've never rated him anything above a league 1 player since we signed him, no sharp objects at all, my point is that if we want to improve this season and finish out of the bottom 6 we need better quality players than the likes of Feeney.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 am

Peter Thompson wrote:Who's mentioned booing him - not me, not once in that above reply.

I simply said that he's not good enough and that we shouldn't have to put up with shit players just because they try hard and put in the effort.
Ok but he's on the books and as far as we know no-one has expressed an interest in taking him off our hands. So unless you want to pay him off, or bin him off to the reserves you try and get the max from him.

Our new Arsenal loanee would appear to be an obvious backup/ replacement for him. I assume NL sees the guy as equivalent or more likely better than Feeney, so perhaps Feens won't be featuring as much, suffering his own burn out and raising your blood pressure

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 am

Silva the answer? Have you seen his goals record?

Creating chances does not seem to be the problem. Not that we can play all 4, but if we had Silva, Dobbie, Heskey and Madine on the pitch every game, they would be lucky to get 10 between them. That is not opinion, that is fact based on their recent scoring record.

I don't have the answer as to who, but I know that 3 strikers that can't score might as well be replaced by one who can. Clearly, if he gets injured then we have a problem, but don't we have that same problem now anyway?

I am amazed that anyone on here can even still mutter the word promotion. We are in a major fight to stay up. Which 3 teams are worse than us? Rotherham, then who? I think the likes of Huddersfield, Preston, MK Dons, ourselves and maybe Blackburn are fighting in a mini league.

Player for player we are probably better than all of those, but if we can't score (and we can't) then that counts for nothing. I am very concerned that not only are we going down, but this could see the club uninvestable and heading rapidly towards Pompey.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 am

I heard Feeney getting stick last night and some woman behind LE & I was slagging Danns off all game. There was no lack of effort on anyones part last night. They all worked hard but weren't good enough. No point booing it's where we're at.

That said, I'd like to boo the feckers at the Highways agency. Driving home, if it wasn't 50mph speed limit then it was closed junctions and diversions on every bleeding stretch. Walked in the door at 2.30am :cry:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:58 am

Then I look at the players who aren't as limited..and when you've created 54 shots (which is a decent 4 game tally), surely more questions should be being asked of other players than Danns and Feeney...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am

3 games is a small sample size. (I know it stretches to the back end of last year but Clough and Madine weren't playing and Mavies was only just back from injury).

I'm not too concerned yet. When we stop creating chances is when I'll get worried.

Back 4 looks OK at least! One goal conceded in two games and that to a team who scored 101 goals last year. We just need one to go in at the moment and we'll be reet.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^ but he's not shite. Limited and inconsistent maybe but we've all witnessed shite in our time and that's not what we're watching. In our written-off season so far we've seen one good performance, one awful one and two which we've completely dominated but failed to score.

Bobo - this is a matter of opinion, which everyone is entitled too - mine is that Feeney is shit, yours & BWFCI's obviously not.

My opinion of Feeney has nothing to do with the 1st few games of this season, I've never rated him anything above a league 1 player since we signed him, no sharp objects at all, my point is that if we want to improve this season and finish out of the bottom 6 we need better quality players than the likes of Feeney.
Well, we could try bringing facts into it. Like the one that of our 13 shots on goal before he was substituted last night, Feeney had assisted 8.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:19 pm

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:3 games is a small sample size. (I know it stretches to the back end of last year but Clough and Madine weren't playing and Mavies was only just back from injury).

I'm not too concerned yet. When we stop creating chances is when I'll get worried.

Back 4 looks OK at least! One goal conceded in two games and that to a team who scored 101 goals last year. We just need one to go in at the moment and we'll be reet.
Eh? 4 in 3 games, surely...

But yes, defence is prob good enough for mid table.

I'm not seething about last night... I don't do seethe really...

But we looked a relegation side because we can't score, have no focal point for an attack at all.

MK handled us very easily once they were one up. A stat that says we had five on target isn't inaccurate - but four were gathered easily by the keeper, were weak shots that needed Andy Walker to convert them into goals... We had one shout for a goal that was worth counting - and Clough might have done better with it.

We will be relegated this season unless we can find a way round this... and that isn't likely since our owner has decided to shut down the money channel...

Stadium MK is a fine building. I was pleased to see it. and tick another off my list.

Harry Genshaw did all the driving, and deserves a medal...

The beer and food at the Bull in Stony Stratford was very decent...

So the trip had its ups... The downs were what was not happening on the pitch...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm

William the White wrote:

But we looked a relegation side because we can't score, have no focal point for an attack at all.

MK handled us very easily once they were one up. A stat that says we had five on target isn't inaccurate - but four were gathered easily by the keeper, were weak shots that needed Andy Walker to convert them into goals... We had one shout for a goal that was worth counting - and Clough might have done better with it.

We will be relegated this season unless we can find a way round this... and that isn't likely since our owner has decided to shut down the money channel...

Stadium MK is a fine building. I was pleased to see it. and tick another off my list.

So the trip had its ups... The downs were what was not happening on the pitch...
Looking at that video it certainly doesn't look like lots of clear cut chances. Heskey's header at the end looks about the best of them.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:DSB used FACTS! Critical hit! It's super effective! On a more serious note, I do agree that he is limited but he puts 100% into every game and seemed to create some decent chances on the beeb feed, and in the highlights Tea just posted. I can't see us signing any significant, proven improvements on Feeney (or Danns) with our current finances.

Going off the highlights we were unlucky, and should have taken our chances better. Some cracking saves from their keeper though. Disappointed at the poor interception attempt by Wilson, absolutely gifted them that goal.
One cracking save. All the rest routine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Looking at that video it certainly doesn't look like lots of clear cut chances. Heskey's header at the end looks about the best of them.
Disagree there. Moxey's chance at 0:07, Clough's at 0:40, Madine's at 0:50, Wilson's(?) chance at 1:25, and as you said Heskey's at the end were all great chances - the other omitted I agree with. Madine should have done much better given his great control and turn, but was a weak finish, and same with Heskey's header. Others were good strikes and decent saves.
Moxey's? A strike from outside the box from a left back with their back four in front of him? Nah. That is a good shot, not a clear chance.

Clough's I'd call a half chance. He struck it well but it was certainly not a straightforward one.

Madine was tackled before he could shoot.

Heskey's header is the only one I can say we SHOULD have probably scored looking at that. The rest were decent efforts but not clear chances.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Looking at that video it certainly doesn't look like lots of clear cut chances. Heskey's header at the end looks about the best of them.
Disagree there. Moxey's chance at 0:07, Clough's at 0:40, Madine's at 0:50, Wilson's(?) chance at 1:25, and as you said Heskey's at the end were all great chances - the other omitted I agree with. Madine should have done much better given his great control and turn, but was a weak finish, and same with Heskey's header. Others were good strikes and decent saves.
Moxey's? A strike from outside the box from a left back with their back four in front of him? Nah. That is a good shot, not a clear chance.

Clough's I'd call a half chance. He struck it well but it was certainly not a straightforward one.

Heskey's header is the only one I can say we SHOULD have probably scored looking at that. The rest were decent efforts but not clear chances.
Fair enough, I didn't quite mean a like for like clear chance, was more disagreeing with the sentiment. I thought all of those chances were good attempts, that on any other day might have gone in. I really do want Madine to score though, his touch and control seems pretty damned good and he could be a real asset once he gets firing. He seems to link up with Clough very well.
The only one that I'd argue could have been a goal on another day was the Wilson shot that the keeper easily could have palmed out straight to one of ours for a tap in.

The rest were comfortable saves or good defending.

(Heskey's header excluded).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 pm

William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:3 games is a small sample size. (I know it stretches to the back end of last year but Clough and Madine weren't playing and Mavies was only just back from injury).

Not the back 4!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Fair enough, I didn't quite mean a like for like clear chance, was more disagreeing with the sentiment. I thought all of those chances were good attempts, that on any other day might have gone in. I really do want Madine to score though, his touch and control seems pretty damned good and he could be a real asset once he gets firing. He seems to link up with Clough very well.
The only one that I'd argue could have been a goal on another day was the Wilson shot that the keeper easily could have palmed out straight to one of ours for a tap in.

The rest were comfortable saves or good defending.

(Heskey's header excluded).
The save from Clough was out of this world. As was the recovery tackle on Madine. The save from Wilson was inches away from whoever was running in. It's not like we had 10 clear cut chances, but we had far more than they did. I'm not worried that goals will come as long as we keep playing like we are. The worry will be if a drop in confidence means we stop creating the chances.

On a slightly unrelated note, when we first linked with Madine I'm sure the Wednesday forums all said he was a good finisher but offered f*ck-all else. We've seen the opposite so far!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Everyone is having a pop at Feeney/Danns yet golden boy, one good game in Ten, Mavies, is forgiven because he has talent?
Maybe things may be brighter if he put more effort into delivering this 'talent' on a more regular basis.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

If Clough would have feigned to shoot and left everyone on their arse he could have lit a fag and tapped it home. It was a decent height for the keeper to palm it clear. Decisions decisions. Nice cushioned knock down from Madine though.