Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Online Bolton News has the headline "Bolton new manager to be unveiled today" ...underneath the headline it says.."9 hours ago!". Always right on the mark is the BN.
As Iles has explained, the club told the paper on Friday (Iles was on holiday) that they were announcing the new manager today. They also told other news outlets.

The club then today didn't announce anything. Iles yesterday said he didn't think there would be an announcement today.

But you can't blame the junior reporter who wrote an article based on what he was told by the owners of the club can you? I mean not his fault that once again they've said something that hasn't panned out. This is a recurring theme.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Online Bolton News has the headline "Bolton new manager to be unveiled today" ...underneath the headline it says.."9 hours ago!". Always right on the mark is the BN.
As Iles has explained, the club told the paper on Friday (Iles was on holiday) that they were announcing the new manager today. They also told other news outlets.

The club then today didn't announce anything. Iles yesterday said he didn't think there would be an announcement today.

But you can't blame the junior reporter who wrote an article based on what he was told by the owners of the club can you? I mean not his fault that once again they've said something that hasn't panned out. This is a recurring theme.
I didn't, it was frustration talking. Not sure Mike Gendinning would be too delighted being described as a junior reporter though. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 am

Looks like it is either Adkins or Cotterill, barring any late dramas...

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _new_boss/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My guess would be Adkins since Ken knows him.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Looks like it is either Adkins or Cotterill, barring any late dramas...

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _new_boss/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's couched in very uncertain terms....."That MAY point to an out of work manager.....Adkins...Cotterill..."

Hardly comes across as anything more than guesswork from the man who allegedly has the ear of the new Board. It could be right, but like Nixon, there's been so many guesses along the way that this could be yet another punt in the dark.

I'll wait until there's an announcement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Looks like it is either Adkins or Cotterill, barring any late dramas...

Yeah, was just reading that (after chuckling at the more careful headline). As Worthy says, it's couched in (arguably necessarily) careful terms, but there's still lots of fascinating stuff in there:
The delay may be explained by unavailability, with the soon-to-be assistant manager said to be still away on holiday and yet to agree terms. That may point towards a manager currently out of work, in particular Nigel Adkins or Steve Cotterill who have both been interviewed.
- Not sure why currently employed assistant managers aren't allowed on holibobs.
Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth were known to be monitoring [Parkinson's] situation but sources close to Bradford claim compensation of £200,000 would be due to the League One side for the remaining two years of Parkinson’s contract, which would almost certainly rule Wanderers out.
- and furthermore:
Compensation proved an issue with earlier interest in Southend United’s Phil Brown, the ex-Whites assistant reportedly saddled with a £300,000 buy-out clause in his contract at Roots Hall. But it did not seem the case with Alan Stubbs, who was on Wanderers’ shortlist before he moved to Rotherham United after the clubs agreed a compensation package worth £125,000.
- Does that mean Bolton agreed £125k compo? Or just that that's how much the Millers paid?
Side note: £125,000 is nine weeks of Darren Pratley's £14,000 wage, £200,000 is 14 weeks, £300,000 is 21 weeks. Or to put it another way, we're paying Pratley, Amos (£16kpw), Mavies (£18kpw) and Spearing (£18kpw) a combined £66kpw, which means we could have afforded Stubbs in a fortnight, Parkinson by the end of June, Brown by the end of the Euros. But hey-ho...
Holdsworth is known to favour a manager with experience at League One level, and one who has a sound knowledge of the club he is going into. The co-owner also puts a high value on coaching badges, which explains why the interest in Parkinson – who holds his UEFA Pro Licence – is so pronounced.
- Interesting, and logical.
Other out-of-work managers who have been ruled out by sources at the Macron include Steve Evans, Uwe Rosler and Brian McDermott.
- So now 'sources' are ruling out McDermott, which is probably a relief, and Evans, which is possibly a shame.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 am

Yes I'm not suggesting that the Adkins/Cotterill reduction is anything other than guesswork based on others being seemingly ruled out.

As an aside I heard a rumour (probably baseless but you never know), that Evans was approached but would want a far higher salary than we are offering so was a non-starter. Given the time it has taken I find it hard to believe that the owners wouldn't have at least enquired about Evans once he became available...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:As an aside I heard a rumour (probably baseless but you never know), that Evans was approached but would want a far higher salary than we are offering so was a non-starter. Given the time it has taken I find it hard to believe that the owners wouldn't have at least enquired about Evans once he became available...
That would be interesting considering he's never managed a big club bar Leeds, while (for instance) Adkins has Premier League background.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Interesting moves afoot at Bristol City. Steve Cotterill's last club have just announced that their U21 coach Wade Elliott is leaving with immediate effect. Cotterill took Elliott to Ashton Gate on loan in January 2014; that summer, Cotterill signed him on a year's contract and made him captain. The team did the "lower-league double" of JPT and League One, after which Elliott retired and Cotterill made him U21 manager.

Important to note that Elliott was not Cotterill's assistant at Bristol City - that was John Pemberton, the Oldham-born ex-Palace/Blades/Leeds defender, who was already at Ashton Gate - he was the caretaker before Cotterill's appointment, and joint caretaker (with Elliott) after SC's dismissal.

In fact, Cotterill doesn't seem to have a regular sidekick - something which is admirable in some people, suspicious in others. Dave Kevan was his assistant at Burnley and then Notts County; at Pompey he was too skint to appoint a No.2, just coaches Ian Woan and Guy Whittingham, saying he was too hands-on to delegate decisions anyway; at Forest he (eventually) appointed Sean O'Driscoll.

None of which necessarily means he won't have an assistant in mind; I just find this sort of thing interesting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Saw that at lunch. Would explain the delay but I guess U21 boss isn't the same role as assistant.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Saw that at lunch. Would explain the delay but I guess U21 boss isn't the same role as assistant.
Nope but if Cotterill is the man then this guy could be appointed as his assistant, and if Jimbob doesn't go to Croatia then give him the U21 role. Or Jimbob as assistant and the other guy does the U21s !! Sorted !!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Riviman wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Saw that at lunch. Would explain the delay but I guess U21 boss isn't the same role as assistant.
Nope but if Cotterill is the man then this guy could be appointed as his assistant, and if Jimbob doesn't go to Croatia then give him the U21 role. Or Jimbob as assistant and the other guy does the U21s !! Sorted !!
Highly possible, and makes more sense than the assistant being on holiday....

Not sure on Cotterill, has a mixed record and seems to upset people. Does have promotions on his CV though.

Last time we appointed a manager Forest fans hated it didn't go so well I guess....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't think Elliott would be Cotterill's first choice as assistant. In fact I think he might be more keen on Phillips - he seems to know the value of getting a Club Man involved: besides retaining Pemberton at Bristol and Whittingham at Pompey, at Burnley he promoted Steve Davis to the job when Kevan left, but Cotterill himself was gone soon after.

I guess he could have Jiminho as his No.2 - a sounding-board who knows the club and could also be trusted to oversee the kids, perhaps even with Elliott as the Dev-squad manager... although like I say, it seems Cotterill doesn't always recruit the same faces every time.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:33 pm

WTF Alex McLeish now 4/1 from 33/1 earlier in the day.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Alex McLeish now 6/4 ---- good god please not him
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:29 pm

McLeish doesn't fit at all. Hasn't managed at this level.

FWIW Iles insists "manager sorted. Assistant on holiday. Both co-owners away from club" ...but "unless they drop a major bombshell it's one or the other" of Adkins or Cotterill.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:33 pm

Cheers for that DSB - my blood pressure is coming back down now

Would be happy to see either Adkins or Cotterill ..... just wish they would crack on with announcing it

Hopefully the McLeish thing is just the bookies playing with the punters.
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 pm

nelson66 wrote:Hopefully the McLeish thing is just the bookies playing with the punters.
We've seen others at closer odds who are now gone.

Someone hears a rumour, places a bet, rumour spreads, bookies protect themselves, that prolongs the rumour ("odds slashed on X!", "X now bookies' favourite!"), more people pile on.

I'll keep saying it: you'll never see a bookie on a bike. (Or if you do, it'll be one of those carbon ones that cost more than my car.)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 pm

FWIW, Iles remains convinced it's either Adkins or Cotterill: "unless [the club] drop a major bombshell it's one or the other." He also reckons the fat kitman is due to sign later in the week, although he says KA & DH are now both away.

In other news, the Brizzle City website implies Elliott was pushed rather left of his own accord: "The club is in the process of restructuring its coaching setup and, following detailed discussions, the 37-year-old will depart BS3."
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:McLeish doesn't fit at all. Hasn't managed at this level.

FWIW Iles insists "manager sorted. Assistant on holiday. Both co-owners away from club" ...but "unless they drop a major bombshell it's one or the other" of Adkins or Cotterill.
Damn! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:51 pm

If you like a flutter, Cotterill is 11-1 at the moment while Adkins is 9/4.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.