Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:He's fecked up royally on old Clinton Baptiste has Douglas. Made a right c*nt of himself. Gets to bring in one of his own choices, one of those about whom he said "Judge me on the players I bring in / when the team's my own" and we're offloading his star-buy after a solitary season though undoubtedly still contributing towards that players wages. I'm getting the wooooooooooooord 'Wanker'.
Every manager makes mistakes with signings. Your namesake did. And he was one of the most stubborn there ever will be.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

freeindeed wrote:Yeah, a manager needs to be stubborn and rigid; sticking to earlier decisions even if they have proved to be incorrect. He should have turned up the opportunity to bring in a superior full back, just to show the strength of one past decision :roll:
The point is, and one that's clearly soared above your comprehension, is that when a manager says that we're skint, and then proclaims himself the man to sort all of it out, yet falls at the first fecking hurdle then that man's claims and judgement get drawn into immediate scrutiny. Do you not agree?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:He's fecked up royally on old Clinton Baptiste has Douglas. Made a right c*nt of himself. Gets to bring in one of his own choices, one of those about whom he said "Judge me on the players I bring in / when the team's my own" and we're offloading his star-buy after a solitary season though undoubtedly still contributing towards that players wages. I'm getting the wooooooooooooord 'Wanker'.
Every manager makes mistakes with signings. Your namesake did. And he was one of the most stubborn there ever will be.
Perhaps you can point out to me where Bruce Rioch swung in giving it the big one?!

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: The point is, and one that's clearly soared above your comprehension, is that when a manager says that we're skint, and then proclaims himself the man to sort all of it out, yet falls at the first fecking hurdle then that man's claims and judgement get drawn into immediate scrutiny. Do you not agree?
We are skint. He has massively reduced the wage bill. How did bringing in a player on a free transfer and then replacing him with a player that has proved to be better fail at this task?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

freeindeed wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: The point is, and one that's clearly soared above your comprehension, is that when a manager says that we're skint, and then proclaims himself the man to sort all of it out, yet falls at the first fecking hurdle then that man's claims and judgement get drawn into immediate scrutiny. Do you not agree?
We are skint. He has massively reduced the wage bill. How did bringing in a player on a free transfer and then replacing him with a player that has proved to be better fail at this task?
Quite obvious really, if you read what was posted.

At 28, Baptiste isn't a mystery, he has been around long enough for a semi competent manager to know what he was about.

To pay a lot for him and then to bin him off, will at the minimum raise eyebrows.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:54 pm

We paid the going rate for an experienced player with no signing-on fee in order to plug a hole at right-back. He was ok. It didn't quite work out and we have found a near sure-fire improvement.

It seems to me that many folk are looking for any reason to be critical of Freedman. I don't see one here.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:55 pm

freeindeed wrote:
He said "Judge me on the players that I bring in". He's already shipping his star signing out. According to him the reason the club's going down the pan is down to all that went before.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 pm

freeindeed wrote:We paid the going rate for an experienced player with no signing-on fee in order to plug a hole at right-back. He was ok. It didn't quite work out and we have found a near sure-fire improvement.

It seems to me that many folk are looking for any reason to be critical of Freedman. I don't see one here.
You might not, others like myself clearly do.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:He said "Judge me on the players that I bring in". He's already shipping his star signing out. According to him the reason the club's going down the pan is down to all that went before.
I'd hardly call him his star signing. He also said "players" - not "judge me on one of the many players I bring in"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:38 pm

jaffka wrote:
freeindeed wrote:We paid the going rate for an experienced player with no signing-on fee in order to plug a hole at right-back. He was ok. It didn't quite work out and we have found a near sure-fire improvement.

You might not, others like myself clearly do.
Well he can't have his cake and eat it.

He picked him week, in week out however poor his form was until that penalty/sending off a match period. Even then he persisted when it was obvious to anyone he needed a rest ... and then he (DF) threw his toys out of the pram and he was publicly dissed and then banished completely.

Either way, odd management.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:40 pm

freeindeed wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:He said "Judge me on the players that I bring in". He's already shipping his star signing out. According to him the reason the club's going down the pan is down to all that went before.
I'd hardly call him his star signing. He also said "players" - not "judge me on one of the many players I bring in"
Would you not now?! Fair enough. He's the player that he brought in to supersede the uber expensive Tyrone Mears at right back. From what he said - Tyrone Mears wasn't Douglas's idea of a right back. As such, is it not fair to assume that Baptiste - given that Douglas said that he'd brought Baptiste in specifically as a right back, his idea of a right back? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
Would you not now?! Fair enough. He's the player that he brought in to supersede the uber expensive Tyrone Mears at right back. From what he said - Tyrone Mears wasn't Douglas's idea of a right back. As such, is it not fair to assume that Baptiste - given that Douglas said that he'd brought Baptiste in specifically as a right back, his idea of a right back? :conf:
Bruce are you suggesting that managers have to get every buy right? I'd say especially difficult when they are mainly picking up frees....most managers will do well to break even.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
Bruce are you suggesting that managers have to get every buy right? I'd say especially difficult when they are mainly picking up frees....most managers will do well to break even.
If you're giving it the big one - as per Douglas - then he's off to an appalling start. The bloke's talking absolute shit up to now. I cannot wait for him to be able to support a single claim that he's made.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
If you're giving it the big one - as per Douglas - then he's off to an appalling start. The bloke's talking absolute shit up to now. I cannot wait for him to be able to support a single claim that he's made.
Hyperbole, much?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Hyperbole, much?
Haha. Yeah, right, mate :roll:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I think DF has done well with his transfer dealings so far. He is building a solid team. Baptise scored a few crucial goals for us and wasn't a mistake as far as I am concerned. Obviously was upset about playing LB and his contributions dropped thereafter. So be it.

Now getting a solid RB for him who most of us are happy with. DF needs 2 Centre fowards to complete things and I hope he can be backed with the funds to do so.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Aye, not heard anyone say that Mchnaughton doesn't improve the team; yet the conversation is focused on being critical of the previous decent signing. Shit happens, onwards and upwards...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Defence and midfield look pretty strong, add a decent striker and there is no excuse for not being around the playoffs. Can't see us challenging the top 2 and wouldn't criticise him for that given the cuts he's had to make. Plus Fulham can go and splash a fortune on a proven Championship scorer, Dougie does not have that option.
Having said that he's not on the whole got the best out of players he has been allowed to bring in on permanent deals. Baptiste and Beckford for example. I thought Baptiste was a liability last season, consistent weak link even at RB, teams always getting in behind him. Couple of good goals but that's not his main job. Good riddance. Now let's hope Dougie doesn't alienate any more senior pros now he's trimmed the dead wood and got his own picks in.
Delighted with McNaughton, so quite happy to forget about Baptiste from now on. happy with what DF has done in fact since the point when he should have been sacked. Good loan signings turned into long-term deals and a positive start to pre-season. Not happy enough to think it was right to not sack him mind. Hopefully that point will come.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:It wasn't a bad decision. He's a good player .... at right-back or centre-half. The decision to play him at left back was forced upon him. The decision to never, not even once, even at the height of our problems, play him at centre-half is a mystery.
Yup. He was an ok right back. Made sense to throw him in at Lb when needed on occasion but plenty occasions he should have played cb and didn't. It's weird, but I'm really happy at getting McNaughton.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 am

Sounds like Juke to Burnley is now happening. £1.5M fee agreed and on way for medical. Presumably that fee is way out of our reach?