£15 million on 3 players who do you buy?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Naming a hugely unrealistic possible signing, and then suggesting that this is the player we 'should' be buying. Seems odd to me, especially if you're planning on complaining if we don't sign him.
Why is it unrealistic ? This link suggests he could end up back down the road with Sam, although I can't see why Fulham, West Ham or Everton couldn't afford him.

This is the kind of player we are crying out for:
- Right sided but can also play forward.
- Creative player who also scores.
- Good at set pieces (watch out Taylor !!!)
- PROVEN Premiership experience.
- Will want to get back into the England team for 2010.
And of course will be just dying to leave the bright lights and come to Bolton on the Moors. Yep, I can see it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed May 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Verbal wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Pogatetz
Stephen Hunt
Gary Oneil

And some quick feck on loan
Hopefully with ability. otherwise we'll get chants akin to 'RIGA! RIGA!' whenever said quick feck isn't played.
Wasn't Wilhelmsson quick? you sure about this Ginge? :mrgreen:
Ok, someone quick with a fit missus, but a bit strong and 'ard. Oh and a deathly finish :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Naming a hugely unrealistic possible signing, and then suggesting that this is the player we 'should' be buying. Seems odd to me, especially if you're planning on complaining if we don't sign him.
Why is it unrealistic ? This link suggests he could end up back down the road with Sam
With his previous team, which is an easy link to make for a source that appears to be an opinion piece in something called the "bleacher report". Belmont Bleachworks, perhaps?

No doubt Megson would be interested in signing Bentley, should Bentley be interested in signing for us, which I doubt. But as Tom says, it seems your agenda might be peeping through, CJG. As in...
claus jensens guitar wrote:Megson would rather go for the Scouse trio at St James - Nolan, Barton, Guthrie.
One of whom he sold, another he didn't take up the option of turning from loanee to permanent signing. Aye, he's expressed a plain preference there.

Frandsen08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frandsen08 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Why is it unrealistic ? This link suggests he could end up back down the road with Sam, although I can't see why Fulham, West Ham or Everton couldn't afford him.

This is the kind of player we are crying out for:
- Right sided but can also play forward.
- Creative player who also scores.
- Good at set pieces (watch out Taylor !!!)
- PROVEN Premiership experience.
- Will want to get back into the England team for 2010.
jermaine pennant??

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Jermaine "I'd rather go to Pompey than Real Madrid" Pennant.

I wouldn't want Pennant because he is a bit of trouble, imagine him and Barton in the same team !

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 20, 2009 6:34 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:Jermaine "I'd rather go to Pompey than Real Madrid" Pennant.

I wouldn't want Pennant because he is a bit of trouble, imagine him and Barton in the same team !
The first sentence kinda works in our favour though, doesn't it? The bloke just wants first-team football, is that so wrong?

He's had some trouble in the past, but boy the lad can cross and have pace - two things I reckon we could use a bit of. Whether he'd want to come here I've no idea, but I can think of several worse players to sign. And isn't he on a freebie? Be interested to hear Blurred's take...

EDIT he is indeed on a free, according to this Sky Sports interview
Portsmouth's on-loan winger Jermaine Pennant says he is open to offers this summer.

The 26-year-old wide-man's Liverpool contract expires during the close season meaning he can be snapped up for free.

The Reds shelled out an initial fee of £6.7million to sign Pennant from Birmingham, making him an attractive proposition for prospective suitors.

Pennant is currently focusing on helping Portsmouth retain their top flight status before worrying about his own future.
Out of contract

"Next season I'm out of contract so we'll have to see what happens," he told Sky Sports News.

"I've got a battle on my hands at the minute with Portsmouth fighting relegation.

"When that's over we take a break and then we'll take it from there."

No offers

Pennant says staying at Fratton Park is an option, although with no offers on the table he remains unsure of his future.

"It's always going to be an option. I've enjoyed my time there," he continued.

"I've had a very hard season, but next season we'll see what happens.

"I'm all ears and I'm ready to talk to people."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed May 20, 2009 6:44 pm

I'd take a punt on Pennant, but only if he's 4th or 5th in line, if you get what I mean. Otherwise I can't see him fitting in, particularly in a team that can't buy possession at this mo.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
FD wrote:Huth?

Huth?

The Huth currently at Boro?

That Huth? You must be joking.
You dont rate him then :D

Is he no better than;

O'Brien?

The bloke at Portsmouth?

That O'Brien? You must be joking.

Which tended to be the general feeling when he signed.
I'd rather have O'Brien NOW, with all his faults, than Huth.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Wed May 20, 2009 8:47 pm

I think Pennant would be a much better signing than Bentley due to the pace that Pennant would offer, Bentley is slow and so him and Taylor on either flank would not provide us with anything we've been desperate for much of this season.

I'd love Tuncay - think he would be a great signing.

Maybe try for someone like Vela or Wellbeck on loan for a season for first team football?

kagni
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kagni » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Priority should be a centre-half to partner Cahill.
Realistic targets - Distin / Dunne / Ben Haim.

Huddlestone would be ideal to fill the Campo role and he's out of favour and not happy at Spurs.

Get in Pennant on a free.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Pogatetz
Stephen Hunt
Gary Oneil

And some quick feck on loan
I'd rather us sign Stephen Hawking!
May the bridges I burn light your way

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Wed May 20, 2009 9:26 pm

i admire tuncay

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 pm

mouth watering - now iam sadly looking forward to next season - bentley, pennant, barton - the good, the bad & the ugly, fck me - we would be top of the yellow and red card league and the prison statistics, :P

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Tuncay, Huddlestone, plus a partner for Cahill (Roger Johnson maybe?) are players I'd like to see here and ones we could realistically sign in my opinion.

On top of that, I still think we'd need a box-to-box midfielder (Pedro Mendes? Barton??) and a right-winger with pace (Pennant?), and perhaps a left-back (no idea) to have any semblance of a squad next season...maybe even another back-up forward.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed May 20, 2009 9:51 pm

think tuncay too old, who's johnson play for ? pennants a good choice, gardener left back (jlloyd as back up), it would be nice to think we could keep what we have now as back up ( o brien, shittu etc ) plus 4 quality prem experienced players.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 pm

kagni wrote:Priority should be a centre-half to partner Cahill.
Realistic targets - Distin / Dunne / Ben Haim.

Huddlestone would be ideal to fill the Campo role and he's out of favour and not happy at Spurs.

Get in Pennant on a free.
How about David Wheater - him & Cahill might be make a good partnership
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed May 20, 2009 10:03 pm

think wheater is injured but he is well thought of, would hope he's not a mark davies injury prone type player,

juss

steinson cahill wheater gardener

muamba barton

m davies k davies m taylor

elmander

:Jedi:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Pennant (free)
Gary O Neill (2 - 3 mil)
and some amazing centre half coming to the end of their careers at champions league level like Lucio if thats the case
Or possibly Veloso or akin, creative defensive midfield man
and try and snap up a youthful forward with any change, Simon Cox?

Tell you what Huddlestone is a decent shout - he's not fancied there and could be a really good player.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed May 20, 2009 10:20 pm

although we aren't considered a very attractive club i can see those players mentioned would see bolton as a decent move, steady club :roll: nice ground, quality training facilities and a good selection of characters already there :) jussi, gardener, k davies, cahill, steinson, elmander

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu May 21, 2009 6:32 am

Three players with pace and good ball skills who want to come to play for Bolton and not just for the money.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED