Political Correctness

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Substitutes may have to be re-named in future, certainly in school games, as it surely implies a touch of failure or of being second best.

What PC name will they come up with for substitutes?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Substitutes may have to be re-named in future, certainly in school games, as it surely implies a touch of failure or of being second best.

err.. substitutes? maybe I'm not getting this game! :wink:

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:00 pm

thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Substitutes may have to be re-named in future, certainly in school games, as it surely implies a touch of failure or of being second best.

City are way ahead of you on this one, theyve renamed their reserve team "The Elite Squad"!

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Apple-Mac is better than Windows. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 pm

P.O.S. wrote:
thebish wrote:

City are way ahead of you on this one, theyve renamed their reserve team "The Elite Squad"!
I thought they'd been named the "Bell Enders" in memory of young Colin. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Randy Watson wrote:When a few jars have been sunk I like to sneak in a bit of P(in)C when shouting stuff.

Nothing too offensive, for example: When a player is underperforming and the majority of fans are bellowing "GET HIM OFF" I like to replace "Get" with "Suck" for a little bit of personal amusement!

Oh how I giggle!
i do that, "LICK HIM OUT" is a good un, also "FINGER HIM"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 pm

'temporarily unused players'

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:53 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Has it gone mad yet?
The world in general is becoming a place I don't recognise any more
eh?
Well what I meant was that, since entering this world in 1951, things have changed so much that things I thought I knew to be true back in the 50s and 60s are now so blurred by a combination of changes in peoples attitudes, new historical evidence, Human Rights Legislation (without any thought of "Human Responsibilities Legislation", and the inevitable PC brigade that I'm now absolutely certain that I'm not sure if there is ever going to be the vaguest possibilty of my ever being able to understand anything for certain ever again.
Does that simplify things?? :D
no! 8) - presumably the first post was not a serious set of examples of this?

give us an example of summat you can't now recognise or understand because of the "pc brigade" or "human rights legislation"

what did you think to be true in the 1960s that isn't now?
Oh Dear, Where to begin???
Well I used to eat sweets called Black Sambos but would hesitate to ask for them now.
I used to think only a man and a woman could get married but it seems our European friends have deemed that it is against a gay person's rights to prevent them getting married and also against a straight couple's rights to prevent them having a Civil Partnership.
I used to think words had only one pronunciation but now "the experts" tell me that language changes and anything is OK so long as the majority use that particular pronunciation / spelling. For example the letter "H" was always (should) be spelled and pronounced "aitch" - the first letter is not "h" - the "H" is aspirate (aspirate ishas nothing to do with snakes or thieves on boats).
I used to think that if I burned my tongue on a hot coffe it was my fault for being an idiot. Now it seems I can sue the provider of the hot coffee.
If I did something wrong at school I expected to get the cane / s;ipper. Now the children (kids are young goats) gcan get away with murder without any form of redress.
It's a good job I'm bust at work at the moment or you might have a full blown "Grumpy Old Man" rant on your hands :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Bruno3 wrote: Well I used to eat sweets called Black Sambos but would hesitate to ask for them now. Because they don't make them anymore? If they did - you could ask for them. It's be daft to aske for something that doesn't now exist.
I used to think only a man and a woman could get married but it seems our European friends have deemed that it is against a gay person's rights to prevent them getting married and also against a straight couple's rights to prevent them having a Civil Partnership. It is still only a man and a woman who can get married. Being gay was also around in the sixties.
I used to think words had only one pronunciation but now "the experts" tell me that language changes and anything is OK so long as the majority use that particular pronunciation / spelling. For example the letter "H" was always (should) be spelled and pronounced "aitch" - the first letter is not "h" - the "H" is aspirate (aspirate ishas nothing to do with snakes or thieves on boats). Plenty of words had different pronunciations in the 60s. back then parents told their children off for saying what instead of pardon and dropping "t"s from the ends of words - teenagers have always irritated adults with their speech - in every decade - you did too.
I used to think that if I burned my tongue on a hot coffe it was my fault for being an idiot. Now it seems I can sue the provider of the hot coffee. I'd like to see you try. yes - someone did sue McDonalds - she did not burn (or scald) her tongue - she suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. the coffee was not just hot - it was super-heated - it was dangerously hot - and McDonalds were fully aware it was dangerous. see here if you are interested http://www.caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event= ... e&pg=facts - the case was nowhere near as stupid as people make out.
If I did something wrong at school I expected to get the cane / s;ipper. Now the children (kids are young goats) gcan get away with murder without any form of redress. and you think bringing back the cane would help?
It's a good job I'm bust at work at the moment or you might have a full blown "Grumpy Old Man" rant on your hands :D bring it on! 8)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 pm

I think Bish is on one today.

:)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:22 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I think Bish is on one today.

I scalded my tongue on some coffee and my newsagents doesn't sell black mambos or gollowog jelly - naturally I am very cross! The world has gone mad.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 pm

I once spilt burning hot tea all over my arm at Burnden, during a game...it was served in the flimsiest piece of crap styrofoam cup you'll ever see, with no lid, and presumably the gap-toothed old crone behind the till had been testing some brand new laser heating device, to make the tea hotter than the earth's core. I had to use at least *some* force to grip the bloody thing, but in doing so virtually squeezed the crappy cup in half, erupting molten lava-like tea all over my hands and arm.

Anyway, turns out, i got to walk round that little track bit by the pitch, with a St.John's ambulance man, whilst the game was going on ! I felt like a player, being stared at by all the terraces, seeing all the faces..

Sue the club? No way! I nearly got took out by John Gregory sliding off the pitch, i was almost on the pitch, i was almost playing for BWFC ! Happy days, as my arm blistered and skin melted.

Kids these days eh..

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 pm

thebish wrote:

I scalded my tongue on some coffee and my newsagents doesn't sell black mambos or gollowog jelly - naturally I am very cross! The world has gone mad.
Didn't say I was cross - you asked what had changed and I gave some top of the head examples.
The bit about gays and marriage (I am not anti-gay so long as they don't want to make it compulsary!) was taken from a news report this morning where a female vicar / priest and her partner had been to the European Court and gained judgement in their favour that the denial of marriage to them was contrary to their human rights. Consequently they are to bring a case in the UK to push for gay marriage and, conversely, civil partnerships for straight people if they want it.
Isn't one of the stated purposes of marriage for the procreation of children, my lord Bish? Could his be another Church v UK Governmet V Europe battle?
How the hell did this debate get so complicated?? I need a lie down in a darkened room or I'm dooooooooooomed!!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Would have to be something that implies the bench is no better/no worse than any other player, just different.

Inplay revitalisation agents would be my choice using current betspeak.

Or, gametime refreshments, not to be confused with the halftime pint.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

'Gameplay Improvement Measures'

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Lategame enhancement agents...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
thebish wrote:

Didn't say I was cross - you asked what had changed and I gave some top of the head examples.
I said I was cross - not you!
Bruno3 wrote: Isn't one of the stated purposes of marriage for the procreation of children, my lord Bish?
I believe some Anglican vicars have that phrase - I don't think it has any legal force though and it certainly is not part of the legal rubrics for being married - if it was it would also appear in the registry office wording - which it doesn't.

... I remember attending an Anglican wedding for a couple of seventy yr-olds. The old duffer of a vicar intoned his way through the dry and dusty service book - reminded them that marriage was for the birth and nurture of children and then proceded to pray a long prayer about the fruitfulness of the woman's womb... bonkers!

(on a serious note - when conducting marriages i would not dream of including such a phrase unless the couple wanted it there - I always check - for one thing they may not WANT children, and for another they may know that they can't, in which case it would be hugely crass and hurtful.)

I too heard said interview - and remarked to the missus that it all sounded a bit bonkers to me - but I still recognised the world when I got downstairs...

(it isn't compulsory to be homosexual yet, is it?)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

William the White wrote:Lategame enhancement agents...
only if they are "impact" subs!

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Bring back the cane and batter the little blighters!
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm

'Him That's Shit' and 'Fatty Hudson' were the names of the subs when I was at Primary School. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way