Nat Lofthouse statue

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Nat Lofthouse statue

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:When we got a puppy about 6 years ago, i somehow convinced my wife to let us call him jay-jay. Any other footballer-related names she'll definitely veto in future.
we called our puppy shittu... shit for short...
So, you wander round in public shouting 'shit!' ? People get carted off for much less than that Bish :wink:

usually it's "shitty... here shitty..." etc...

(or - alternatively I just made it all up...)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm

what next, a pet tortoise called Stig Tofting??

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Anyone know who put that little banner up on the entrance to ASDA on burnden park saying 'RIP Nat Lofthouse' ? Ironically it was written on a white bedsheet , and the black writing had run and smudged from the rain, but that seemed to make it even more poignant.
Did it have 'Megson Out' on the other side?
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm

BwfcDan wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Anyone know who put that little banner up on the entrance to ASDA on burnden park saying 'RIP Nat Lofthouse' ? Ironically it was written on a white bedsheet , and the black writing had run and smudged from the rain, but that seemed to make it even more poignant.
Did it have 'Megson Out' on the other side?
No, but it did have '8 YAERS TO BIULD, 8 MNOTHS TO DSETROY' on the back 8)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 pm

If we get a statue of the big man then fantastic, I'd also like to see the club make the lettering on the actually Lofthouse Stand more prominent and metallic maybe
Pfffft.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 pm

i would be happy with a statue either in the town centre or outside the stadium.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I'd prefer outside of the stadium. So supporters of other clubs can see it and realise what he meant to us. He was first and foremost a Bolton Wanderers football player. He should be celebrated at the clubs home

In my view!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:I'd prefer outside of the stadium. So supporters of other clubs can see it and realise what he meant to us. He was first and foremost a Bolton Wanderers football player. He should be celebrated at the clubs home

In my view!
Yeah i agree with this. Wherever Bolton's home is, It's Nat's too. Id like to see it right outside the front of the stadium near the main entrance. Maybe a plaque or something in town hall square?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

BwfcDan wrote:
Did it have '****** Out' on the other side?
That man's name doesn't even belong in the same forum, let alone same thread.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Do we have to do the Megson thing here?

I think it should be outside the Reebok too. It's the club he played for, and the club he helped build into what it is today.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Do we have to do the Megson thing here?
I think it should be outside the Reebok too. It's the club he played for, and the club he helped build into what it is today.
Hopefully not.

Outside the Club for me too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:54 pm

If there is only one it has to go outside the ground. It's the home of Bolton Wanderers. For me it should go on that grass at the 'front' of the ground, opposite the train station. When away fans get off the train and walk towards the ground the first thing they should see should be Mr Bolton Wanderers.

Something in the town centre would be nice too though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm

gotta defintley have a statue outside the ground not a dinky little thing either

also a star on the pavement outside the ground just an idea
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:06 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I'd also like to see the club make the lettering on the actual Lofthouse Stand more prominent and metallic maybe
Quite so. And I'd like fans to make more effort to call it by its proper name. It's the only proper name at the ground, it's really not that hard.

Statue - there will only be one - could go either town hall square or outside the ground. Difficult decision. Town Hall is a bigger honour to a proud son of the town, IMO, especially as the Reebok wasn't really Nat's home. Mind, didn't stop Stoke doing one for Matthews, and he spent half his time at Blackpool.

To me, and although this doesn't make much sense, it feels like more footballing visitors will see the statue at the ground, but more people overall will see it in the town centre.

TOWN
Duncan Edwards (Dudley), Brian Clough (Derby, Nottingham AND Middlesbrough)

GROUND
Peter Osgood (Chelsea), Billy Wright (Wolves), Johnny Haynes (Fulham), Billy Bremner (Leeds), Stanley Matthews (Stoke), Best/Law/Charlton (MU), Matt Busby (MU), Bill Shankly (Liverpool), Bobby Moore (West Ham and Wembley), Alf Ramsey (Ipswich), Bobby Robson (Ipswich), Stan Cullis (Wolves), Bob Stokoe (Sunderland)

This bloke takes pictures of football status (amongst much else). Many of them are shockingly bad...

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Got to be outside the ground. Easy to say in hindsight but it's a real shame they didn't put something up while the he was still alive.

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Anyone who lives in Bolton knows how important Nat was to the town, he will always be a local legend. Whereas away fans and anyone who visits the ground will appreciate just how much he meant to us if his statue was outside the ground on the grass opposite Horwich Station. He is a fundamental part of what Wanderers now are.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:Anyone who lives in Bolton knows how important Nat was to the town, he will always be a local legend. Whereas away fans and anyone who visits the ground will appreciate just how much he meant to us if his statue was outside the ground on the grass opposite Horwich Station. He is a fundamental part of what Wanderers now are.
It's a fair point, but it'll be seen one day a week except by cars passing in Horwich. In the town centre, just like Fred's statue, it'll be seen everyday. Outside the ground, who cares what opposition fans think? In my experience of them, sooner or later some idiot will try to deface it. Like has been pointed out, the man was so legendary to Bolton that a statue in each location wouldn't go amiss. I think the town owes him that much.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

It's got to be the at the Reebok.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Image
A statue suspended on a cushion of air? There's some lateral thinking gone into that, Tango. Fair play to you, Chief! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way