Wanderers best eleven 1964- Present

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Wanderers best eleven 1964- Present

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Anelka, Wilshere, Muamba... Off the top of my head ;)

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed May 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
William the White wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote:
sidewaysmove wrote:Why 1964?
1964 was when I started watching and I didn;t want players in who i hadn't seen play.
and a very significant season in the history of a club that had been a top division side for 30 plus years...
You calling TT a Jonah? :P
I've often thought that myself, Relegated first season and alot more heartache since.
More bad than good, but the good times more than make up for it.
Promotion back to the 1st at Blackburn, Come on Frankie Worthy !!!!
Promotion at Wembley v Reading !!! Come on !!!!
Last season at Burnden, What a team that was !!!
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
William the White wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote:
sidewaysmove wrote:Why 1964?
1964 was when I started watching and I didn;t want players in who i hadn't seen play.
and a very significant season in the history of a club that had been a top division side for 30 plus years...
You calling TT a Jonah? :P
I've often thought that myself, Relegated first season and alot more heartache since.
More bad than good, but the good times more than make up for it.
Promotion back to the 1st at Blackburn, Come on Frankie Worthy !!!!
Promotion at Wembley v Reading !!! Come on !!!!
Last season at Burnden, What a team that was !!!
Yep - we make our own joys, don't we? :D :D :D

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

GeraldCid wrote:Who would be the manager of this dream team? Safe to say Sammy Lee is the manager of bettyrasta's team!
Ian Greaves
What goes around may still come around

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I saw my first match in '63, so the time scale works.

In these I always wonder do we select a player at his peak or while with us, which regetably is often not the saame time !! ie. we had Shilton for about 3 games, aged 74, but at his peak .... wow !

I've gone for while with us .... I suspect it still includes Hierro !

Best Keepers in that time. Well I did see Hopkinson, but he was close to the end of his career. The next good one was Barry Siddall, then Branny, now Jussi. Dennis Peacock just loses out. Pushed into a decision I'd go for Brannigan.

Full backs; less easy but I d think that Tony Dunne was still a very top player for us despite his greatest years being with Stretford. Then Vincent Candela. A real shame we couldn't keep him. I did see Warwick Rimmer, John Ritson, Dave Clement, Steve Whitworth, but those 2 stand out. I could still return to some centre-halves who played full-back for us such as Gudni, Bruno and even Paul Jones. Keep you posted.

Centre Halves, well, I just named 3 very good ones. Gary Cahill too, Abdoulye Faye, Mike Walsh maybe. Henry Mowbray's name may arise in these discussions.

Midfield. Now here we do have some names ... Peter Reid, Hierro, Campo, Djorkaev, Okocha, Stuart Holden. Even Wilshire maybe has a shout. Brookman of couse, as mentioned must never be forgotten.

Wingers. Even tho he was ancient & arthritic by the time he came to us Peter Thompson was simply the best. Teams always had 2 players on him & one standing just off him & still he beat them. Y-C Lee gives most a run for their money too. I think those 2 edge out the Peter Barnes & Summerbee that we saw.

Forwards, well Dwight Pezzarozi probably gets edged out by Frannie Lee, Frank Worthington, Nico Anelka, Wynn Davies, Neil Whatmore, Kevin Davies, John McGinley.

So, & I know I've missed a few ; -

Bannigan

Tony Dunne
Paul Jones
Gudni Bergson
Vincent Candella

C-Y Lee
Peter Reid
Fernado Hierro
Peter Thompson

Nicolas Anelka
Frannie Lee

leaving - Jussi, Cahill, Worthington, Wynn Davies, Youri, Faye, N'Gotty, JJ, Holden all sitting on the bench.

There'll be others, but that team would do some stuffn the bench could win a couple of games as well.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat May 14, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Raven wrote:Another 1964 baby here too and what the feck was wrong with Barry Cowdrill!
Nowt really but couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel...