Coyle - Time to go? [post-Everton]

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should he stay or should he go?

He should be given more time (indefinite)
28%
He should be given until Christmas
26%
He should be given a couple more games
13%
He should be sacked immediately
34%

Total votes: 94

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Coyle - Time to go? [post-Everton]

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:I would agree with Coyle going, as I can't see us getting out of the bottom 3 with him in charge. My worry is his replacement.
MoN yes but cannot see him coming and I don't think we could afford him, salary and transfer funds. I don't want Hughes for the same reason and as for Souness I don't want him. Others who are available include Erikson, McClaren, Peter Reid and Strachan. Or do we give an up and coming youngster the chance.
Your choice, but maybe better with what we've got than the disruption and another calamatous appointment.
This is exactly what I'm on about I couldn't hack any of this crock of crap.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Whats that, 15 defeats in 18 now? I just cant see how a run like that can be reversed in a short space of time, too much damage already done.

For every trashing by Chelsea, United and Liverpool weve had there's been defeats to the likes of Norwich, Sunderland, West Brom - even going back to last season Blackpool and Blackburn.

I think weve had it personally. Coyle was my favourite player growing up and will always be a hero for me for those times, but I just dont think he can hack it as a premier league manager. A coach or number two? Yeah sure, but as the main man he seems out of his depth which absolutely pains me to say because I was delighted when he came in and I really thought we were on the road to good times again

The obvious and important question obviously is though, who to replace him? Not a clue. How attractive a proposition are we?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Mclaren has achieved far more than Coyle has.

Winning games is all that counts, right now what sane Bolton fan gives a shiny shite how, what style, or whether the manager is a nice bloke or not?

feck me this is as depressingly shite as it's been since we came back up into the Prem! Nowts been worse than this! Nowt!

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Mclaren has achieved far more than Coyle has.

Winning games is all that counts, right now what sane Bolton fan gives a shiny shite how, what style, or whether the manager is a nice bloke or not?

feck me this is as depressingly shite as it's been since we came back up into the Prem! Nowts been worse than this! Nowt!

Sammy Lees reign wasn't far off.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Gotta go. We hit a purple patch last about a year ago that appears to be the exception rather than the rule. There's no sign of anything changing and the excuses in Coyle's favour are getting flimsier and flimsier.

I don't care how much of a nice guy or club legend Coyle is. I don't care how much people want him to succeed. The fact is Megson and Lee were sacked for less.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Mclaren has achieved far more than Coyle has.

Sammy Lees reign wasn't far off.
It wasn't so prolonged as this! This feels like slow death from a particularly nasty and creeping tumour!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Im now of the opinion he was massively lucky lastseason, he's been clueless for too long now. Wheater at right back. wrong for so many reasons.

His tactical naievity reminds me of keegan so im hoping he resigns and saves us some £££

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: It wasn't so prolonged as this! This feels like slow death from a particularly nasty and creeping tumour!
A perfect description of Megson's reign.

Before the Wembley semi-final Coyle's reign felt like a joyous remission from a particularly nasty and creeping tumour...

Since then, or, perhaps, since that Evans tackle, it has got worse, then a lot worse and now close to the worst of all...

You were a Megson lover way beyond the point of the rational.

I'm going to indulge myself a little... End of the season, and, even if we go down, a careful assessment of the likelihood of him returning the club to the Prem, as opposed to who, seriously, might replace him before taking any action...

Most of last season made you feel good to be a Bolton fan, something that Lee never did, and Megson very, very rarely... I think it may be possible to get that back... I've been teetering on the balance, but this thread has helped me decide where i stand.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: It wasn't so prolonged as this! This feels like slow death from a particularly nasty and creeping tumour!
A perfect description of Megson's reign.

Before the Wembley semi-final Coyle's reign felt like a joyous remission from a particularly nasty and creeping tumour...

Since then, or, perhaps, since that Evans tackle, it has got worse, then a lot worse and now close to the worst of all...

You were a Megson lover way beyond the point of the rational.

I'm going to indulge myself a little... End of the season, and, even if we go down, a careful assessment of the likelihood of him returning the club to the Prem, as opposed to who, seriously, might replace him before taking any action...

Most of last season made you feel good to be a Bolton fan, something that Lee never did, and Megson very, very rarely... I think it may be possible to get that back... I've been teetering on the balance, but this thread has helped me decide where i stand.
Rubbish. I'm a lover of us doing as well as we can. Your post is irrational!

Results matter only. Not what happened before, if the manager is nice or not.

Results, results, results!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Putting injuries and tactics to one side the main thing to be killing us off in games prematurely this season (last season was last season, we shouldn't be including that in this discussion as far as I'm concerned) has been sendings off.

Wheater's second sending off today. 1) Wheater is a Coyle signing, 2) he was playing out of position today.

Does this mean that Coyle was at fault for today's loss?

Then, a lot of the other game's we've lost have had a sending off in too... what were the circumstances? Was Coyle's team selection and formation at fault for the sendings off, and therefore losing the points?

Gardner sending off at Swansea.
Wheater at Arsenal - bit soft.
Klasnic against Norwich

...it actually felt like it was more than that. But including today that's 4 games that being a man down has helped in getting us nothing. 3 draws out of those and we'd be on 12 points from 13 games.

We play Blackburn, Wolves and Fulham next month (bottom-half sides) and also Villa, Spurs and Newcastle. Can't see it getting any better but I don't know what the solution is.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 pm

At least if we got relegated we might win something and get rid of some of the absolute gubbins we've got as fans and what masquerades as a team at the moment, we're never going to win the Prem unless we get a cash rich owner willing to back up with some spending, we're never going to win a cup unless we get a large squad.

Besides that I'm still a Bolton fan and I will be till the day I die.
Pfffft.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Your post is irrational!
How so?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:55 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Your post is irrational!
How so?
Because what you're basically saying is results don't matter so long as you like the manager.

This club can't afford to drift into the championship without a fight.

The way you talk, cos Coyle isn't Megson we can let him take us down, I just cannot ever get my head around that.

When Megson left it was right because there was a serious danger he would take us down.

It's the same rule now in my book!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Gardner sending off at Swansea.
Wheater at Arsenal - bit soft.
Klasnic against Norwich
We were already second best in each of the games we've lost players
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:17 pm

We're sinking to Megson levels of misery. Its time to start thinking about the man. Though everyone must bear in mind that we don't have the money to throw at this problem that we have had in the past.

I may well come down to a choice....would you rather be making a tilt at the Championship with Coyle or Peter Reid in charge.

Either that or our luck might turn like Wigan's. i mean, if they can beat Sunderland then there must be some real shite down this end of the table. Its the only oxygen of hope I have.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We're sinking to Megson levels of misery. Its time to start thinking about the man. Though everyone must bear in mind that we don't have the money to throw at this problem that we have had in the past.

I may well come down to a choice....would you rather be making a tilt at the Championship with Coyle or Peter Reid in charge.

Either that or our luck might turn like Wigan's. i mean, if they can beat Sunderland then there must be some real shite down this end of the table. Its the only oxygen of hope I have.
If the argument was which manager has the best record of promoting teams from the championship we might as well have stuck with Megson.

Should we get relegated then what makes you think Coyle, will stick around to sort out the mess he's created? He will be out of contract and unpopular. Won't see him for dust IMO!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:24 pm

I agree with you that Megson would have got us relegated, and for that I'm eternally grateful to Coyle, along with him giving us our most exciting season since Allardyce, but he looks like he's run his race now. Coyle has good form at getting teams promoted, so he may well be the best bet, but I agree that he might not stick around when the squad gets hollowed out for lack of money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I agree with you that Megson would have got us relegated, and for that I'm eternally grateful to Coyle, along with him giving us our most exciting season since Allardyce, but he looks like he's run his race now. Coyle has good form at getting teams promoted, so he may well be the best bet, but I agree that he might not stick around when the squad gets hollowed out for lack of money.
He's promoted one side to the premiership once. Hardly what I'd call track record.

For what its worth I'm gutted it's not working out for Owen cos he did seem like being a perfect fit here. Do think he's been unlucky in some respects but his naivety was always going to be a massive problem if we ever had a real slump. I think he's one of those managers who's great when they are taking a club on an upwards curve but completely lost when things start faltering. Keeganesque actually. Shame.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:31 pm

If he'd done it twice after several attempts would it prove him markedly superior? I'm not so sure.

Besides, we don't have the money to spend on the squad to tempt managers "with a track record". It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 pm

He has to go, but there's no way that owt will happen before Christmas time, so he's safe for the immediate future.

If we went down we'd end up bankrupt and would sink down to the lower leagues (that's what 10 years of top flight football does for you, unless some benefactor bails you out).

Thing is, I've lost all hope, when Owen arrived I was over the moon and it's all gone tits up now.

Gutted.
Troll and proud of it.