Kevin Davies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: Kevin Davies

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 pm

coffeymagic wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:We can more afford to give a young un with pace time, than an old un with nowt
No value in experience then?

Coyle's right to drop him to the bench. I just don't think we can afford to get shot as quickly as some people would like.
It depends on other stuff

If he's content to sit on the bench and be paid bench money and pull in the right direction, I'm all for it

I think its highly unlikely, tbh
Sto ut Serviam

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

He's a legend and he represents our club in so many ways. I think the most important thing is to do what's needed for the team. That doesnt mean we cant treat Kev with respect. If he accepts a lesser role he has a valuable place in the side.

What I dont want to see is everyone tarnishing his memory because he isnt playing as he used to. He deserves to sit on the bench, but he deserves our respect as well. I have no idea why we so like to attack our players as we do.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:53 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:We can more afford to give a young un with pace time, than an old un with nowt
No value in experience then?

Coyle's right to drop him to the bench. I just don't think we can afford to get shot as quickly as some people would like.
It depends on other stuff

If he's content to sit on the bench and be paid bench money and pull in the right direction, I'm all for it

I think its highly unlikely, tbh
He's reached 500 games, probably depends on if there are any other records he has his eye on.

I'd love him to be playing better but when talking about him at the moment you have to remember he's the current SKD, not the one from a while back. Maybe it's just a dip in form. Is he doing any badges?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Maybe it's just a dip in form
Maybe....if you believe dips in form can last 12 months
Sto ut Serviam

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:21 pm

He's on five live at the moment and making a decent crack of it!

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:57 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:He's on five live at the moment and making a decent crack of it! Legend.
Yeah listening to him, seems better on radio than he does on tv!

Interesting to have Jason Roberts in the studio too, trying to deflect questions about Kean and the Venkys

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 pm

There's always rumours of a "disruptive influence" in the dressing room. Didn't it used to be Gary Speed?

Anyway, as long as the captain's not going round telling everybody Coyle stinks, and as long as he's happy to not be first choice, I see no purpose getting rid. We'll get no transfer fee for him (contract ends July), we're hardly stuffed with bodies, and I believe he can still do a job coming on from the bench.

Very interesting that Coyle chose not to bring him on last night. Tactical? Political?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Tactical I'd hope

Tuncay can move about and gave us an outlet, keeping them stretched and occupied

Ball would of bounced off Davies as it has done all season - like playing with 10

The only advantage of getting shut in January would be freeing up his wages, and I cant see that happening at all. I'd like to trade him in for a younger, quicker model, but lets be realistic - it wont happen. He should stay a bit part player though IMO. Hopefully someone (Tango) will drag this thread up in the new year and show me up for talking bollocks.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:59 pm

He might have been carrying a knock.

Or it could be a change in approach.

I suppose we'll soon find out.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 am

If SKD isn't in the starting 11 on Boxing Day it will be like an extra little Christmas present, it will show that Coyle is serious about a team without Davies.

It's already been said in this thread, nothing should be taken away from what he has achieved here and I will always think of him as one of the best players to step on that field for us. Unfortunately there comes a time in a players career where he just can't cut it any more. For Davies that time is now.

I'd still like him to be on the bench and come on when we need more of a presence up front, you know, like his England role ;)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:53 am

It wasn't the skippers match to play the other night. We'd have been tempted to punt it long to him (we played it on the deck much, much more) and he'd have lost out to those 2 MAHOOSIVE centre backs, inviting pressure.

Coyle was right to leave him out.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

One thing to remember. Lots of games over Xmas - he's certain to start at least one. Doesn't necessarily herald a u-turn.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:44 pm

keveh wrote:If SKD isn't in the starting 11 on Boxing Day it will be like an extra little Christmas present, it will show that Coyle is serious about a team without Davies.

It's already been said in this thread, nothing should be taken away from what he has achieved here and I will always think of him as one of the best players to step on that field for us. Unfortunately there comes a time in a players career where he just can't cut it any more. For Davies that time is now.

I'd still like him to be on the bench and come on when we need more of a presence up front, you know, like his England role ;)
In a nutsack.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Time to go I'm afraid, he ain't half the player he once was for us.

I' love him to go to wet spam it would be feckin funny as hell all those choking spammers :mrgreen:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:50 pm

After yesterday's shocking performance from KD he can go now for me, give him a free transfer to free up the wages for someone who actually can be bothered to try

His legs have either gone or he just can't be arsed, but his performance yesterday (as captain) was a fcuking disgrace, and that was against league two defenders.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:After yesterday's shocking performance from KD he can go now for me, give him a free transfer to free up the wages for someone who actually can be bothered to try

His legs have either gone or he just can't be arsed, but his performance yesterday (as captain) was a fcuking disgrace, and that was against league two defenders.
Is that along with the chairman, owner, manager, back room and 10000 fans?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 pm

jaffka wrote: Is that along with the chairman, owner, manager, back room and 10000 fans?
Is no one allowed an opinion unless you agree with it ? - your as tedious as anyone on here at the moment

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:59 pm

As poor and disinterested as Davies has been since the back end of last season we need to keep him till the end of the season...

Then he can go.

I'm still hopefully he might give us the odd good 20 minutes here or there and play a part....

If he doesn't, he doesn't...

But I can't see us signing more than 2 or 3 in January, so if we are letting Cahill go can't let more experience walk out just yet IMO.....

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:After yesterday's shocking performance from KD he can go now for me, give him a free transfer to free up the wages for someone who actually can be bothered to try

Same could be said about the majority of the team yesterday. what do we do ? get rid of them all ?
Agreed he shouldn't start, but he can still make an impact from the bench when necessary. We aren't going to get a fee for him, and no one will come in and offer him the wages he is on, so we might as well keep him to the end of season.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
jaffka wrote: Is that along with the chairman, owner, manager, back room and 10000 fans?
Is no one allowed an opinion unless you agree with it ? - your as tedious as anyone on here at the moment
I like how you come on here on a very occasional basis, usually in order to spout crap and point out that you are a superfan. You obviously have a magic device in your living room, that is able to gage the feeling of every Bolton fan (or 10000 at least) and then when someone has the audacity to either disagree with you or point out that your a moaning prick (thats me by the way :wink: ) play the victim card.

Oh and just for the record, it does seem that you have been moaning the loudest and the longest on here.