11 Great (and Not So Great) Seasons - Pick your finest hour

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: 11 Great (and Not So Great) Seasons - Pick your finest h

Post by P.O.S. » Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Munich tops everything for me, I doubt it'll ever be beaten as an experience before and during the game.

I also forever remember that small period of time where we had quite literally the best player in the Premier League in Okocha, absolutely destroying opponents. The way he totally did Beckham and Keane with a couple of tricks in the 1-1 at the Reebok, and then that ridiculous bit of skill he produced at the corner flag against Arsenal. Unplayable!

Plus the couple of seasons where teams like Arsenal and Newcastle were coming to Reebok and we were expected and expecting to beat them - to the point where the victories we were having were routine. Oh to be a force like that once again.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon May 14, 2012 2:32 pm

P.O.S. wrote:Munich tops everything for me, I doubt it'll ever be beaten as an experience before and during the game.

I also forever remember that small period of time where we had quite literally the best player in the Premier League in Okocha, absolutely destroying opponents. The way he totally did Beckham and Keane with a couple of tricks in the 1-1 at the Reebok, and then that ridiculous bit of skill he produced at the corner flag against Arsenal. Unplayable!

Plus the couple of seasons where teams like Arsenal and Newcastle were coming to Reebok and we were expected and expecting to beat them - to the point where the victories we were having were routine. Oh to be a force like that once again.
That 1-1 at the Reebok is a great call. I didn't care about the result. We just played with such verve and swagger. Seeing Okocha humiliate Keane, Beckham et al was sufficient to fill you with pride.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm

50sQuiff wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:Munich tops everything for me, I doubt it'll ever be beaten as an experience before and during the game.

That 1-1 at the Reebok is a great call. I didn't care about the result. We just played with such verve and swagger. Seeing Okocha humiliate Keane, Beckham et al was sufficient to fill you with pride.
Should have won that day - didn't we hit the bar a couple of times or something along those lines? Okocha and Campo were unreal that day.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Think Howard made a few worldies in that game.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Plovdiv at home. I finally got to see them win in Bolton. But that's presonal really. I think the best i ever felt was listening to thumping Ipswich. I really hated them and I guess I should get used to that again.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm

May 2003 to christmas 2006 inclusive, when we were top 3. The feeling we could go anywhere, beat anyone, and that just about everyone feared our patch. Perhaps its hard to believe now, but it was true at that point. We had genuinely arrived in that period with so many good players rolling through, it felt like we'd hit on some secret magic formula, and in the midst of it, it felt like it would never end.

Of course, it did.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Oh, and the 2-2 with Leicester. The football gods toyed with us that day, to which Allardyce, Nolan et al cocked a snook at and got a point anyway.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:32 pm

The feeling of pay back to Stoke when we beat them 5-0 at the Reebok, to beat was a confidence builder but to beat them by what they beat us was priceless

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm

The Manchester City robbery is up there. I was literally on the floor laughing.

I almost hate to mention this one since it’s from the Megson era but the win over Sunderland that kept us up in 2008 had me in tears of joy. Exquisite finish from Diouf for the first goal and I didn’t give a damn that the second was scored by a Sunderland player.

Rip
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rip » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

For me, still Ricketts's goal at the Millennium in 2001.

Not technically part of the club's last eleven seasons, but my personal standout moment as a BWFC fan.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 6:11 pm

americantrotter wrote:Plovdiv at home. I finally got to see them win in Bolton. But that's presonal really. I think the best i ever felt was listening to thumping Ipswich. I really hated them and I guess I should get used to that again.
Plovdiv was amazing. I was watching it on a crappy internet stream but Diouf’s goal is still one of my favorites. The way Nolan took responsibility to play on while the Plovdiv faker was on the ground, the inch-perfect cross from Hunt, the incredible precision of the diving header, just classic.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
americantrotter wrote:Plovdiv at home. I finally got to see them win in Bolton. But that's presonal really. I think the best i ever felt was listening to thumping Ipswich. I really hated them and I guess I should get used to that again.
Plovdiv was amazing. I was watching it on a crappy internet stream but Diouf’s goal is still one of my favorites. The way Nolan took responsibility to play on while the Plovdiv faker was on the ground, the inch-perfect cross from Hunt, the incredible precision of the diving header, just classic.
That really was Bolton at it's best. Can't believe how long ago it is now.

Can we have Nolan back now that we are Championship bound?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 pm

americantrotter wrote:
Can we have Nolan back now that we are Championship bound?
Dear God.

Maybe at £50 per week - not £50,000 pw.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

americantrotter wrote:That really was Bolton at it's best. Can't believe how long ago it is now.
In a way the goal really did sum up the Allardyce era. Direct play mixed with finesse, all stemming from mental toughness and a real “f*** you” attitude.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Plovdiv away. Me and my bezzy mate had made a pact after the Reading play-off final that if the Wanderers ever qualified for Europe then we were going to the first away game regardless of where it was. Of course, it was never going to happen, was it? :D

So many others. Nobby's goal at O/T after Beckham fecked it up, 2-2 v Leicester, 4-3 v Newcastle, the West Ham game and Jay Jay's goal of course. Speedo's overhead kick when we were three up by half time against them.

But also there are many, many individual moments. Djorkaeff's return cross-field ball into Okacha's feet after Okacha's cross-field ball to Djorkaeff landed a yard behind him. Fernando Hierro scooping the ball back off the forehead of the what-the-feck-happened-there? expression wearing Craig Bellamy after the Spaniard had uncharacteristically misjudged the bounce. Holdsworth's goal through Westerveld.........
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Verbal wrote:Think Howard made a few worldies in that game.
Was barthez! jay jay back flickedy watsited it over keane :lol:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

I can remember the last time I felt we were a top 6 club...donny away with our reserves we smashed em at walking pace.

Vaz Te in guimares hasnt been mentioned yet.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Speedo's overhead kick when we were three up by half time against them.
Loved that one, also Pedersen's thunderous toe-punch to make it 4-1 in that game. He had been injured so much, nice to see the Peacock fly again.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Speedo's overhead kick when we were three up by half time against them.
Loved that one, also Pedersen's thunderous toe-punch to make it 4-1 in that game. He had been injured so much, nice to see the Peacock fly again.
Oh, and Pedersen's absolute peach against the Arse in a game in which Henry had hit every piece of woodwork. Can't find footage of it anywhere though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 pm

There is a real dearth of Pedersen footage online.