. . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: . . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm not a PG fan at all, but hats off to him & Eddie for eventually sacking Coyle & his mates

Yes it should have been 10 months ago, but at least he's made the decision - let's hope on this occasion that he doesn't make a quick knee jerk appointment, and invites applicants to see exactly who's interested.

But we need someone who will install discipline & get the team organisation and be tactically astute to get the best out of these players, and get shut of the Coyle 'holiday camp' training ground mentality, and finally stop playing KD as a shoe in & stop playing hoof ball.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I've always backed Gartside. Mainly coz he has obviously done a fantastic job. I think he got it wrong on this one though. I like that he tried to give him time, but there were really bad signs very early last season and he could have gone in November and in March. When it looked like he was going to survive again I began to worry. They've done it though. So we'll see. Big appointment this though. Have to go up this year, or maybe next. Beyond that it's going to be very tough.

I really don't think any criticism of his choices of managers bears serious weight. Lee seemed the right call. Megson, I think the process was flawed, but he kept us up. Coyle seemed the right call too. The main mistake was not getting shut sooner.

Beyond that, what? Carling Cup tickets? Rivaldo fax? Not that bad for well over a decade.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:I've always backed Gartside. Mainly coz he has obviously done a fantastic job. I think he got it wrong on this one though. I like that he tried to give him time, but there were really bad signs very early last season and he could have gone in November and in March. When it looked like he was going to survive again I began to worry. They've done it though. So we'll see. Big appointment this though. Have to go up this year, or maybe next. Beyond that it's going to be very tough.

I really don't think any criticism of his choices of managers bears serious weight. Lee seemed the right call. Megson, I think the process was flawed, but he kept us up. Coyle seemed the right call too. The main mistake was not getting shut sooner.

Beyond that, what? Carling Cup tickets? Rivaldo fax? Not that bad for well over a decade.
Sammy Lee kind of made sense, but the whole big Sam leaving was handled pretty poorly. Megson's appointment was scandalous, but kept us up... At the cost of plunging into debt much further than we had. Who sanctioned those over the top transfers and wages? Comments re no relegation from the premiership. Comments re "those who know football". The cosy relationship with certain football agents. The whopping wages for over a decade.

Yep, he appointed big Sam and brought uncle Eddie in, but his recent form is not so hot. That's why I suggested performance related pay would be in order, so if Phil makes the right appointment now, then everyones a winner. And if he gets it wrong, its not just us the paying fans and ED the paying owner who pay the price.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:It’s not just Coyle. From the embarrassing public spat with Allardyce, to the appointment of Sammy Lee, to Megson and his overpriced signings, to Coyle, Gartside just doesn’t seem to have gotten anything right in the past few years. Keeping Coyle on after relegation was simply unforgiveable. Everyone else could see that Coyle was not up to the job. Now we’re trying to find a replacement mid-season, when we’ve spent our transfer funds and are closer to relegation than promotion.

I don’t know who would replace Gartside, but I don’t know how anyone could think he’s up to the job anymore, let alone worth the fortune he gets paid.
Wonderful thing hindsight. Gartside lucked out being chairman during our longest spell of success since the 50s. Allardyce stayed a long time with Gartside,surprisingly given the size of our club and the success of allardyce. Lee was a misstep that made sense at the time and was a partial response to a general discontent at how we played in the last years of allardyce. It failed because we tried to outfootball multimillion pound teams with a bunch of frees and because the team allardyce left was already in decline.
Megson was a solid choice to provide rigour and structure/backbone, which he did.He was what we needed after lee. He was backed with relatively large sums by our standards but smaller still than most prem teams. It was half a success and we stayed up.
Again there was clamour for better football so swing round again and Mr Happy arrives. It's probably an error that he stayed so long but the budget was/is tight and there were mitigating factors, the injuries and the muamba affair not least gave him a stay of execution. The fact he has backed coyle for ten games is also good chairmanship. Coyle did preseason and if you back someone preseason you cant just sack them after 5 games. Potential managers will see the backing gartside gives and its a factor that can only improve our chances of getting a decent manager in.
It would follow the pattern now to have a pragmatist like McCarthy in. Fact is we need someone pragmatic. Yes it's swings from one extreme to another but we're not a huge club with massive finance and each appointment has been a firefighting reaction to the failings of the previous.
I cant be arsed looking back but I know I never felt these appointments were massive missteps at the time. So ultimately I'd suggest Gartside has done a pretty good job under limiting circumstances. The next appointment is massive obviously but it' s nuts to suggest gartside should go. There are plenty far worse chairmen out there.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

midlands exile wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I've always backed Gartside. Mainly coz he has obviously done a fantastic job. I think he got it wrong on this one though. I like that he tried to give him time, but there were really bad signs very early last season and he could have gone in November and in March. When it looked like he was going to survive again I began to worry. They've done it though. So we'll see. Big appointment this though. Have to go up this year, or maybe next. Beyond that it's going to be very tough.

Sammy Lee kind of made sense, but the whole big Sam leaving was handled pretty poorly. Megson's appointment was scandalous, but kept us up... At the cost of plunging into debt much further than we had. Who sanctioned those over the top transfers and wages? Comments re no relegation from the premiership. Comments re "those who know football". The cosy relationship with certain football agents. The whopping wages for over a decade.

Yep, he appointed big Sam and brought uncle Eddie in, but his recent form is not so hot. That's why I suggested performance related pay would be in order, so if Phil makes the right appointment now, then everyones a winner. And if he gets it wrong, its not just us the paying fans and ED the paying owner who pay the price.

Eddie Davies. Him being the man with the money.

Goes back to HPs obsession, that we didn't give Allardyce more money. When he wanted cash we were third. Target for us always was survival. Eddie Davies is richer than you or me I'd imagine, but had already invested a significant amount of his cash in the club. Do you think he was knocking on Phil's door saying, 'eh, Garty, I fancy chucking millions at that manager bloke we gave a ten year contract to, the one who got us into Europe. What do you reckon?' and Garty but on the kybosh. Didn't need to spend it to stay up. Our current manager keeps more than keeping us up with pennies.

Fast-forward to Megson times. Could go down and lost the Premiership gravy train money. Could spend less than that and hope to keep the Premiership money. Would you rather lose £5 or £50? Sure, you can look back and say if we were going to spend the money we should have done it earlier but we never intended to spend it in the first place. We thought we had it cracked. Our technological expertise kept us ahead, we thought we even had the promising young manager to take over when our current, highly ambitious one left. It didn't work out and so ED had to spend it, but it seems obvious he never wanted to. The swine. The one thing he hasn't done is spend enough of his hard-earned on BWFC.

Anyway, the rest of the Garty thing is worn, worn ground and I don't want to have the same argument as already exists perfectly replicated at least twice already on these servers :D.

Ticket fiasco? Yep, big cross. The rest of it, Rivaldo, people who know football, is inconsequential to me when faced with found owner to stop club going bust. Appointed manager who got us promoted, kept us up, got us in Europe, put in place succession plan, realised when that didn't work, appointed another to keep us up. Got rid of him when got to poisonous, pissed off Burnley fans.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 am

these foriegn JCLs will only ever be happy when they [bolton] appoint someone theyve read about on another foriegner's bleacherreport article.
Last edited by a1 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 am

Prufrock wrote:
midlands exile wrote:

Eddie Davies. Him being the man with the money.

Goes back to HPs obsession, that we didn't give Allardyce more money. When he wanted cash we were third. Target for us always was survival. Eddie Davies is richer than you or me I'd imagine, but had already invested a significant amount of his cash in the club. Do you think he was knocking on Phil's door saying, 'eh, Garty, I fancy chucking millions at that manager bloke we gave a ten year contract to, the one who got us into Europe. What do you reckon?' and Garty but on the kybosh. Didn't need to spend it to stay up. Our current manager keeps more than keeping us up with pennies.

Fast-forward to Megson times. Could go down and lost the Premiership gravy train money. Could spend less than that and hope to keep the Premiership money. Would you rather lose £5 or £50? Sure, you can look back and say if we were going to spend the money we should have done it earlier but we never intended to spend it in the first place. We thought we had it cracked. Our technological expertise kept us ahead, we thought we even had the promising young manager to take over when our current, highly ambitious one left. It didn't work out and so ED had to spend it, but it seems obvious he never wanted to. The swine. The one thing he hasn't done is spend enough of his hard-earned on BWFC.

Anyway, the rest of the Garty thing is worn, worn ground and I don't want to have the same argument as already exists perfectly replicated at least twice already on these servers :D.

Ticket fiasco? Yep, big cross. The rest of it, Rivaldo, people who know football, is inconsequential to me when faced with found owner to stop club going bust. Appointed manager who got us promoted, kept us up, got us in Europe, put in place succession plan, realised when that didn't work, appointed another to keep us up. Got rid of him when got to poisonous, pissed off Burnley fans.
So PG's big successes were getting ED and SA into Bolton, agreed.

Since then, ED has been in charge of splashing the cash. And since SA left, we've had one hopeless manager, another detestable manager, and another manager who got us relegated. Whilst all the time the club is losing money hand over fist. So how exactly has PG been earning half a million a year since those big successes?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 am

its not your money, who cares if it loses money ?

theyre only 10 [ten] mill in debt anyroad.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 am

Suggesting PG's only worthwhile contribution is to "luck out" with getting BSA on board, whilst taking a large salary from the club, is ignorant in the extreme.

I could say a whole lot, but it would probably be wasted. The main point is that if you think running a club of our size with the budget our fanbase generates, is easy, then you shouldn't be allowed to post on here. It was PG who worked with BSA in the early years in the Prem when we were scratching around signing free transfers, it was PG who got ED on board when the banks were about to foreclose, it was PG who has presided over an era where we have the best facilities we have ever had, including a new youth academy, state of the art stadium and training facilities, an era in which we have played European football for the first time in our history and have spent many years as one of the best 10-15 clubs in the country. If you want an example of what life could be like without PG, have a look at the Warburton era of the 80s, where multi-millionaires appointed poor manager after poor manager, and did nothing, and invested nothing as the club nearly died.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Suggesting PG's only worthwhile contribution is to "luck out" with getting BSA on board, whilst taking a large salary from the club, is ignorant in the extreme.

I could say a whole lot, but it would probably be wasted. The main point is that if you think running a club of our size with the budget our fanbase generates, is easy, then you shouldn't be allowed to post on here. It was PG who worked with BSA in the early years in the Prem when we were scratching around signing free transfers, it was PG who got ED on board when the banks were about to foreclose, it was PG who has presided over an era where we have the best facilities we have ever had, including a new youth academy, state of the art stadium and training facilities, an era in which we have played European football for the first time in our history and have spent many years as one of the best 10-15 clubs in the country. If you want an example of what life could be like without PG, have a look at the Warburton era of the 80s, where multi-millionaires appointed poor manager after poor manager, and did nothing, and invested nothing as the club nearly died.
Not sure you'd be wasting your time, Bristol, whilst there are a number who would knock Gartside, I'm not one of them, for the reasons you highlight. There's rather more to the job than picking a Manager. I think for Bolton, just being in the Prem is a measure of success, by that measure neither Lee nor Megson were failures as neither of them took us down. We can argue that they both might, but Gartside acted in time to ensure it didn't happen. The OC situation, last season, remains a mystery to me - I think last season we always looked like we were heading down, but still nearly rescued it on the last day, so I'm not sure why they didn't act sooner last season, other than they kept coming out with the "we all know the plan" type comments and maybe compo money was the deciding factor.

On the money side, it's difficult for any football Club to grow significantly, when your main revenue streams are fixed - TV money/parachute payments and "loans" from a benefactor. It's not like there's much in the way of new products or services you can bring to the market to expand and grow. Filling the stadium every week, is not a significant factor in the Accounts (although it helps), the Club has pegged its prices for a good while now, I don't think messing with the ticket prices much, would significantly alter the overall income necessarily - might get a few more in if we dropped them slightly, some would probably not bother if we increased them. Despite all that, we have all the new shiney things - stadium, academy etc. - that you mention in your post, and only £10m owed to banks.

Finding a good Manager is fairly hit and miss, not many would have said 12/14 months into Coyle's reign, that he wasn't the man for the job, me included. For me, his [Coyle's] transfer policy let him down, understanding that he probably didn't have as much to spend as Megson, what he did have, didn't seem to get put towards addressing the problem areas, Spearing seemed to be a bit of an afterthought type signing, yet is probably the type of player we've needed since it became clear Holden was a long term absentee and the Manager didn't seem to like Muamba. Having not unloaded OC in October/Nov last year, I'd have been very tempted to get shut Feb or March, but even then, we were still in touching distance of survival up until the last day.

Hopefully, he can get us someone, who the fans get behind, like they did with Coyle, rather than someone in the Megson mould, but a quick glance at the polls on here, don't show any overwhelming Candidate. Curbishly (not been in football for a number of years) and "someone from abroad" are the two leading candidates at the moment, and to be honest can't see either of those happening. The next highest (Billy Davies) is only 10% of people's choice, so there's at least 90% will reserve the right to say "wrong pick"!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 am

The only piece of judgement from Gartside I question is how long it took to sack Coyle, and how, if Nixon is to be believed it needed Eddie Davies to intervene to make it happen.

Other than that, I think people judge managerial appointments, way way too harshly.

Lee, was to try and stay consistent. It didn't work. He rectified it quickly. Megson did a job for a while, and at least kept us in the top flight.

Coyle looked a good appointment at the time, to just about everyone.

Gartside can only appoint what is out there.

There are usually no "magic" solutions. I doubt there are any this time. He's probably unfairly judged by Allardyce's quality, which was a good appointment but not the popular one at the time, that was Roy Evans.

Look around at other clubs of similar size and see their most recent appointments and ask whether they are any "more inspired" than our choices.

The pool that is out there, is limited. There is no magic switch, no hidden genius, just waiting to come in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:The only piece of judgement from Gartside I question is how long it took to sack Coyle, and how, if Nixon is to be believed it needed Eddie Davies to intervene to make it happen.

Other than that, I think people judge managerial appointments, way way too harshly.

Lee, was to try and stay consistent. It didn't work. He rectified it quickly. Megson did a job for a while, and at least kept us in the top flight.

There are usually no "magic" solutions. I doubt there are any this time. He's probably unfairly judged by Allardyce's quality, which was a good appointment but not the popular one at the time, that was Roy Evans.

Look around at other clubs of similar size and see their most recent appointments and ask whether they are any "more inspired" than our choices.

The pool that is out there, is limited. There is no magic switch, no hidden genius, just waiting to come in.
I guess only time will tell, but a number of Clubs maybe similar to us (West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Wolves), have recently appointed Managers.

Two from abroad - Swansea and Wolves,
One from a Division lower - Norwich
One from a non-Managerial position - West Brom.

Only really Norwich from the "usual list of suspects and Bogeymen"...

You have to hope, given the time it's taken to determine a replacement, that having acted, Gartside has some people in mind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:The only piece of judgement from Gartside I question is how long it took to sack Coyle, and how, if Nixon is to be believed it needed Eddie Davies to intervene to make it happen.

I guess only time will tell, but a number of Clubs maybe similar to us (West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Wolves), have recently appointed Managers.

You have to hope, given the time it's taken to determine a replacement, that having acted, Gartside has some people in mind.
Goss and Subby would be awesome!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 am

Phil Gartside's record is extremely patchy.

You could argue (I don't) that LSL's appointment was fair after Sam left. It was known that he was a good coach, but not that he was a capable manager. No known alternative candidates were looked at.

I do not agree that Megson was the right appointment at the right time and nor did the majority of supporters - we were also warned by the supporters of his previous clubs.

The Coyle appointment was a strange one too. If you recall, Gartside had recommended him to Burnley. I would question whether there had been an understanding behind the scenes that Coyle would be appointed Bolton manager if we needed a replacement for you know who.

What do previous Bolton managerial appointments have in common? They were, for the want of a better expression, "stitch-ups" with no known open unbiased selection and interview process taking place. So to all those people who continue to say we could only appoint from what was in front of us, that is total sh*te. The candidates who could have been interviewed didn't get an opportunity, in the main.

I fully expect yet another unprofessional short-tracked appointment leading to the same problems at some point in the near future. This is down to Gartside.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:

Yep, but my point is that Swansea took a risk on a relatively "big" foreign name, but one with a fairly mixed (at best) managerial career.

Wolves took a risk on a foreign unknown, who may, or may not be good, time will tell.

Norwich went for Hughton who has a decent reputation, but given what Pardew did at Newcastle, I'm not so convinced.......and he didn't take Brum up last year either....

West Brom took a risk on Steve Clarke who could easily have been (and still be) the next Sammy Lee.

None of those would have been the obvious choice for the fans, all will have downsides, some will have failures on their records beforehand.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:It’s not just Coyle. From the embarrassing public spat with Allardyce, to the appointment of Sammy Lee, to Megson and his overpriced signings, to Coyle, Gartside just doesn’t seem to have gotten anything right in the past few years. Keeping Coyle on after relegation was simply unforgiveable. Everyone else could see that Coyle was not up to the job. Now we’re trying to find a replacement mid-season, when we’ve spent our transfer funds and are closer to relegation than promotion.

I don’t know who would replace Gartside, but I don’t know how anyone could think he’s up to the job anymore, let alone worth the fortune he gets paid.
That fortune is less than half of what Martin Petrov gets... Who's done more for BWFC in your opinion out of those 2??

Gartside has overseen the greatest period in the club's history and found a backer willing to practically write of £130m.

As for the first sentence, you obviously have no idea of the damaging behaviour of Sam Allardyce.. I'd do more than not give the bloke money.... I'd shoot the cvnt in the face.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:

That fortune is less than half of what Martin Petrov gets... Who's done more for BWFC in your opinion out of those 2??

Gartside has overseen the greatest period in the club's history and found a backer willing to practically write of £130m.

As for the first sentence, you obviously have no idea of the damaging behaviour of Sam Allardyce.. I'd do more than not give the bloke money.... I'd shoot the cvnt in the face.
I can't wait till Gartside goes and we get someone who isn't used to football, but is a "sooopa dooooopa" business man. Maybe an American.

I'll enjoy it when we don't sign any players, cos they take too long "assessing options and deals" and how we get a reputation for not knowing what we're doing.

How agents don't want to deal with us anymore and we're left unable to sign players we want.

Its happened elsewhere.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Gartside has been great for Bolton. He put faith in Coyle - like every fan on here did - and it didn't work out. That's what happens in football. Influential, successful people like Gartside are not easily replaced. There isn't a single person we could get to effectively replace Gartside.
Rubbish! Gartside relys too much on his pet scrote agent Curtis to help select personel and don't go telling me it ain't good for him some where down the line.
Gartside other than Sam has failed, no question!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:

worst crap I've ever seen posted that Boris!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

I can't wait till Gartside goes and we get someone who isn't used to football, but is a "sooopa dooooopa" business man. Maybe an American.

I'll enjoy it when we don't sign any players, cos they take too long "assessing options and deals" and how we get a reputation for not knowing what we're doing.

How agents don't want to deal with us anymore and we're left unable to sign players we want.

Its happened elsewhere.
We only use one to the best of my knowledge!