Allardyce piece in the London Evening Standard

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Allardyce piece in the London Evening Standard

Post by Verbal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm

It's very nice of you to posting on the forum mate, but shouldn't you be preparing West Ham for their match tomorrow?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:
thebish wrote:
Martin_Cruise wrote:1.Nat Lofthouse
2.Sam Allardyce

The most important men in Bolton's post war history

One won us a major trophy, the other got us into the top 6 and Europe after 40 years of mediocrity.

Anybody else is a distant 3rd

Enough said.

eddie davies??

Congratulations on making me laugh...... Eddie Davies the big money backer whose most expensive signing in our first season back was a monster 650K on Henrik Pedersen.Not even fit to sit in the same box as the owners of Fulham and Blackburn who we got promoted with.They bought their place in the Premier League, we did it because of the great Sam Allardyce who could make survivors out of freebies, cheapies and the losers he inherited.
Was Eddie even owner at that point? I'm not sure he was.

Of course it wasnt Allardyces money that made Youri, Jay jay, Campo, Diouf, Anelka possible.

Without Eddie Davies we may well not have a club today to discuss. Certainly not without Phil Gartside!

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Martin_Cruise wrote:One won us a major trophy, the other got us into the top 6 and Europe after 40 years of mediocrity.
We were in the Premier League twice before Allardyce arrived. We'd also been to a League Cup final. Hardly '40 years of mediocrity'.
We'd got relegated twice.Allardyce took over a 2nd tier club that was skint and hadn't avoided relegation from the top division in almost 20 years.Just staying up was a wonderful achievement let alone getting us into the top 6.

Rochdale and Oldham both lost League Cup finals in that previous 40 years, reaching and losing a League Cup Final is hardly a great achievement.In fact losing a League Cup Final was arguably the worst day under Sam Allardyce.
See this is where unrealistic expectations come into it. We are a similar size club to the likes of Charlton and Fulham. Why should we expect to be in the Premier League, or to be reaching cup finals? Describing those achievements as part of '40 years of mediocrity' suggests you think we should. Rochdale reached a League Cup final when no one took it seriously. Third Division teams like Swindon and QPR also reached finals back then.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:32 pm

2.Sam Allardyce

One won us a major trophy, the other got us into the top 6 and Europe after 40 years of mediocrity.

Enough said.
What did the other 10 men do?

:conf:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:
thebish wrote: eddie davies??

Congratulations on making me laugh...... Eddie Davies the big money backer whose most expensive signing in ack was a monster 650K on Henrik Pedersen.Not even fit to sit in the same box as the owners of Fulham and Blackburn who we got promoted with.They bought their place in the Premier League, we did it because of the great Sam Allardyce who could make survivors out of freebies, cheapies and the losers he inherited.
wow

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 pm

jaffka wrote:
2.Sam Allardyce

Enough said.

Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, viniculture, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
jaffka wrote:
2.Sam Allardyce

Enough said.

Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, viniculture, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health?
:lol:

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 pm

2.Sam Allardyce

Enough said.
Messrs Rioch & Todd Rank highly IMHO as we were in the widerness till they showed up. They were the catalyst thay put us were we are today (that would sound better if we were still in the Prem, but you get my jist)

As for Allardyce,i just wish he'd shut up about what he did for Bolton, yes we all appreciate it, but at the end of the day he was doing his job, we gave him a 10 year contract which gave him security and they backed him to a certain point.His time at the wanderers put him on the lips of all pundits for the next England job, and if it hadnt been for Panorama and alleged dodgy dealings he would of got it. As for the way he left I would never have in back as a manager.

Basically, thanks for all you did Sam, now Feck off and lets all move on !

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 am

Armfield & Ian Greaves did their bits as well.

.... as did Ridding (Part I), just that the sequel was horrific.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:
jaffka wrote:
2.Sam Allardyce

Enough said.

Splitter
Pfffft.

benn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by benn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:29 am

Makes me sad and annoying that a lot of posters on here and many more on the other site practically hate the bloke. They expect some sort of "loyalty" from managers and whine like teenage girls when managers take off to take higher profile jobs. They are no different than any of our players who would be off in a flash if Alex Ferguson came a calling.

BSA had been at the club for 8 years and had established us as a top third Premiership outfit. In my opinion we will never see this again in the next 20 -30 years. He got a disillusioned after missing out on the England job and then finding that BWFC were not willing to back in that transfer window. Given what he had achieved I feel he had a right to be a little miffed and then seeing what millions Megson was given to fritter away I for one can understand how it must rankle when he was asking for probably less than a 1/4 of what the ginger was subsequently given.

And as for the crying over him taking his staff and some players give me the name of any managers who don’t do this? It seems to me that these haters just want to find any reason to justify their pathetic feelings. It’s like they feel jilted or somat.

For me he was our best manager in my lifetime and I still like the guy and the way he goes about managing football clubs.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Rioch was the great leap forward in our recent history but allardyce put things in place that made it stick.He is an arrogant prat and I've heard a few tales from folk back home that met him and found him pretty obnoxious. That he is a great football should not really be in question though.
Hell of an ego to the extent that you can imagine him never feeling fully appreciated or recognised.Did he really need lots of sycophantic arse licking in return for doing his job well? What he actually left for sammy lee and those that followed was not all that great. We were sliding in his last few months,possibly because he was already mentally moving on and much of the animosity stemmed from him believing he was such a monumental football figure(ready to mix it at the table with fergie and england manager elect) who had so outgrown little old bolton.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

benn wrote:Makes me sad and annoying that a lot of posters on here and many more on the other site practically hate the bloke. They expect some sort of "loyalty" from managers and whine like teenage girls when managers take off to take higher profile jobs. They are no different than any of our players who would be off in a flash if Alex Ferguson came a calling.

BSA had been at the club for 8 years and had established us as a top third Premiership outfit. In my opinion we will never see this again in the next 20 -30 years. He got a disillusioned after missing out on the England job and then finding that BWFC were not willing to back in that transfer window. Given what he had achieved I feel he had a right to be a little miffed and then seeing what millions Megson was given to fritter away I for one can understand how it must rankle when he was asking for probably less than a 1/4 of what the ginger was subsequently given.

And as for the crying over him taking his staff and some players give me the name of any managers who don’t do this? It seems to me that these haters just want to find any reason to justify their pathetic feelings. It’s like they feel jilted or somat.

For me he was our best manager in my lifetime and I still like the guy and the way he goes about managing football clubs.
Got to agree with that sentiment. I was fairly mad about the bung allegations but most on here felt he hadn't done nowt so to say we backed him during that period doesn't make sense.

He left us in a fairly decent state too. Yeah we had a poor run into the season but ended up 7th(I think) and Europa League football. The platform was there for another manager to follow in his philosophy and build on the success. But we hired Sammy fecking Lee, followed by Megson and Genius. We hit the self destruct button and it didn't have to with Allardyce leaving us in a state.

Its looking like he doing a similar thing at West Ham if they keep him.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:23 pm

benn wrote:Makes me sad and annoying that a lot of posters on here and many more on the other site practically hate the bloke. They expect some sort of "loyalty" from managers and whine like teenage girls when managers take off to take higher profile jobs. They are no different than any of our players who would be off in a flash if Alex Ferguson came a calling.

Seconded
What goes around may still come around

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Armfield & Ian Greaves did their bits as well.

.... as did Ridding (Part I), just that the sequel was horrific.
I will always have a soft spot for Ian Greaves.

The world has moved on - but he got us in to the top league with a team mostly from our youth setup - supplemented by the odd creative genius like Worthy and Peter Thompson.

It felt more like OUR team then
What goes around may still come around

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Surely it cuts both ways though. If he doesnt have to show the club loyalty, why ishe complaining that the club didn't show any after he'd left and ripped the backroom apart?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Surely it cuts both ways though. If he doesnt have to show the club loyalty, why ishe complaining that the club didn't show any after he'd left and ripped the backroom apart?
I don't thimk he mentions the Club showing him loyalty?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well ok, 'lack of apprciation'. Amounts to roughly the same thing. He expects everyone to have said nice things about him whilst he took us apart.

If what he did is fair play, then I don't see why he expected everyone at Bolton to keep 'showing appreciation'.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well ok, 'lack of apprciation'. Amounts to roughly the same thing. He expects everyone to have said nice things about him whilst he took us apart.

If what he did is fair play, then I don't see why he expected everyone at Bolton to keep 'showing appreciation'.
Not sure I agree that loyalty and lack of appreciation amount to the same thing.

My view from what I think I recall from the time, is that Gartside, the day after Allardyce departed, started the spat with all that bollocks about Sammy Lee being better than Allardyce, getting the job for as long as he wants it and that Allardyce wouldn't get the job (had he not just left it) because it was now a better job to have...

Lee did comment at the time that it was a "great legacy that Sam had left", so I guess Allardyce's comments were directed mainly at Gartside.

At the time, I thought Gartside didn't handle it particularly well, and some of the stuff he spouted was quite frankly naive and stupid.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Gartside was just doing his job to try and lift spirits......

What did he owe Allardyce?

Especially after all the backing we gave him.

And of course the gentlemans agreement he wouldn't come back for our backroom....