REAM...............? Why?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: REAM...............? Why?

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote: Anyway I'm sure he'll be a cracking left back.
I've heard this foolishness before. Take a look at Hull's third goal and you'll soon revise your opinion, Sir. I'm sure.
He's at fault for both of Boro's goals on Saturday. On the first one McDonald goes the long way around Ream and is still first to the ball, and on the second one Ream just leaves him in yards of space.

Zat Knight, against the odds, has proved more than capable of playing at this level. Ream on the other hand has merely emphasised the point that he's no more a professional footballer than Fred Talbot is.
I know and that was exactly what you said last time. The point is he cant play central and Knight should be there. Ricketts has enough pace for there to be some balance. If Ream does some upper body work and gets games in the stiffs at left back its the best chance we have to make use of him.

Cashley cole is hardly a brick outhouse,you dont need to be to play at fullback. Ream needs to man up stay on his feet and compete instead of falling over. There is no reason why he cant start doing this and become a good fullback. He has the pace and ball skills necessary. Build him up mentally and physically and he can do it. Doesnt seem to have been any attempt by the previous regime to address this and sort him out but hey that's not exactly a surprise.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 am

Its a sobering thought that for around about the same money we paid for Alonso and Ream we bought Cahill.

Fecking frightening.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Its a sobering thought that for around about the same money we paid for Alonso and Ream we bought Cahill.

Fecking frightening.
It is but they are here so lets hope the new manager finds a better use for them than the man who bought them. I dont think either are suited to the positon they were signed to play in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote: He has the pace and ball skills necessary.
Well, I'm yet to to see any evidence of this at all. I seem to recall Coyle trumpeting him in as going like shit off of a polished shovel, yet on Saturday we saw McDonald skin him for the first goal. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote: Have to wait and see I guess. I still think he has the attributes of a good fullback.
Heard this a few times.. I don't get it. He shows nothing to suggest that he could provide support in an attacking sense. He wouldn't get past the winger and stick a cross in.. If you think that's okay and that he's only there to do a defensive job etc.. Then people need to get off Mears' back. Because Tyrone is a superior defender (positionally) than anybody else in that squad.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm

He's a wimp.

If he grew a pair of bollocks then maybe he'd make a decent defender, good on the ball but he's frightened of his own shadow.

Burnley away was the gayest performance I've ever seen from a centre back, he was bullied by the much smaller Burnley forwards all game and is only back in the side now coz Knight can't be arsed turning up for games on time.
Troll and proud of it.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote: Have to wait and see I guess. I still think he has the attributes of a good fullback.
Heard this a few times.. I don't get it. He shows nothing to suggest that he could provide support in an attacking sense. He wouldn't get past the winger and stick a cross in.. If you think that's okay and that he's only there to do a defensive job etc.. Then people need to get off Mears' back. Because Tyrone is a superior defender (positionally) than anybody else in that squad.
I havent seen enough of mears to comment but what I have seen he looks ok going forward but suspect defensively. Ream, I would suggest is worth trying at left back before we accept that we've tossed 2 million down the pan. It's a different mindset to centre half and until he plays there you cant say whether he will make it or not. As many have already said he doesnt look to have what is needed to be a centre back.

As for pace,Bruce, he is physically quite fast but gets undone when the first 5 yards are in the head. Marginally less of an issue at fullback I'd suggest where being caught sleeping doesnt necessarily mean a strike on goal and pace can get you back with your man.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I havent seen enough of mears to comment but what I have seen he looks ok going forward but suspect defensively.
It's the opposite in my opinion

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Plus, if we shoe-horn Ream in at LB, what do we do with Warnock?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Do you keep missing the bits where he f*cks off randomly into central midfield? I ask coz it happens about three times a game. Also, it's no use being in the right position if the next thing you do is go charging into a tackle you are never going to win and give away a cheap free-kick. Constantly. We've been top of fouls conceded and shots on goal this season. There is one reason for that, a £2.5m double buy from Burnley!

I thought Mears was absolute wank at the start of the season, but he has been much, much better recently; however, if he is the best defender positionally in that squad, that says more about the rest of them than it does him! There's only one proper full-back in there, and he isn't ours.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:Plus, if we shoe-horn Ream in at LB, what do we do with Warnock?
We need to find some competitors to fill the midfield up with.....

Though I'm not in favour of Ream being left back, unless it means left back in the bleeding US of A.

We don't have enough competitiors in the team. Warnock is one.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

boltonboris wrote:Plus, if we shoe-horn Ream in at LB, what do we do with Warnock?
Warnock is our left back till he goes. I'm not even saying ream should be starting,I dont think he should. I am saying left back might be a position ream can be more successful in . It's a long term possible solution which is worth trying as we dont have a decent left back except for the one we've borrowed. If warnock is injured or sent off we still need cover and ream is potentially more of a left back than alonso

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I havent seen enough of mears to comment but what I have seen he looks ok going forward but suspect defensively.
It's the opposite in my opinion
I'd go with OK defensively and suspect going forward though :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
Warnock is our left back till he goes. I'm not even saying ream should be starting,I dont think he should. I am saying left back might be a position ream can be more successful in . It's a long term possible solution which is worth trying as we dont have a decent left back except for the one we've borrowed. If warnock is injured or sent off we still need cover and ream is potentially more of a left back than alonso
F*ck me that's damning him with faint praise! Not even is a better left back, only 'potentially'!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
F*ck me that's damning him with faint praise! Not even is a better left back, only 'potentially'!
I know :lol:
Cant say he's a better left beck till he plays at left back. Alonso, I can still see playing in midfield,he is way too heavy/slow especially over the first few yards to be playing in the back 4

And no I'm not saying alonso should definitely be starting in midfield,I'm saying he's not a defender and needs trying somewhere else again if we are to avoid accepting another 2 mil has been flushed down the pan.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 pm

I hope we don't buy another yank.

What a waste of wages our current two are.
Troll and proud of it.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 pm

as wrote:He's a wimp.

If he grew a pair of bollocks then maybe he'd make a decent defender, good on the ball but he's frightened of his own shadow.

Burnley away was the gayest performance I've ever seen from a centre back, he was bullied by the much smaller Burnley forwards all game and is only back in the side now coz Knight can't be arsed turning up for games on time.

:lol:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 pm

as wrote:Knight can't be arsed turning up for games on time.
Is this the reason he's not been seen ?

Coz if so, fine the fckr but get him back on the pitch ffs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 pm

I believe he didn't show up for the Bristol City game until 13:45.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Centre defensive midfield, played just in front of the back four and using his pace to get across and help the full backs