SKD off to Canada...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: SKD off to Canada...

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I agree no histrionics, just very high standards and you don't get picked if you fall below them.
As for SKD could be a great move, easier league, big fish, cultural change, great country to live in by all accounts.
Plus it gets her a long way from our club!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:Some of the twitter stuff may have aided the decision, as neither him nor the missus have had much luck with that idiotic website.
It's as idiotic as you make it. Nobody forces you to read the more stupid end of it, just like you can't blame Johanes Gutenberg for Mein Kampf, or Mr Sennheiser for One Direction. But like a pamphlet or a microphone it does help people get noticed, and in that way I'd argue strongly against your supposition that Emma Davies hasn't "had much luck" with Twitter: she wouldn't get 6,644 followers any other way.

As for Kev in the MLS, good luck to him. Always quite fancied Toronto meself. Better than that French rabble in Montreal, anyway... :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

<speechless splutter>
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 pm

'Sacrebleu' would have been a better response.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm

mrkint wrote:'Sacrebleu' would have been a better response.
Gallic shrug. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm

mrkint wrote:'Sacrebleu' would have been a better response.
Or even "Merde"...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Câlice! Tabernac! Vous êtes bouché à l'émeri.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Câlice! Tabernac! Vous êtes bouché à l'émeri.
You know it never crossed my mind that you were French. It all falls into place... :whack:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Chalice & tabernacle ? Are you Catholic ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Chalice & tabernacle ? Are you Catholic ?
No, but the French Canadians are and that's what they say most often.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Secondly, for me it would reflect one of two things, either he doesn't feel that confident of getting a decent deal over here, OR that he needs the money.

I'm not sure which it is, but it can hardly be for football reasons.
I don't think this is fair. The only way to make a lot of money in MLS is to become a designated player (a la Beckham, Donovan, Henry, Cahill . . .), and I'm reading that Davies would not be a DP. I don't know enough about Toronto's salary cap to say for sure but I'd be surprised if he got paid more than $200,000 a year, which seems like a pretty attainable salary at Championship level or even League One.

Toronto is also kind of an interesting project right now. They were the worst team in the league last year but under Nelsen they are looking better. MLS is also a physical league with abysmal refereeing, which would suit a 36 year old Davies.
Thirdly, the fact he is negotiating this deal whilst Bolton are in a massive battle for a play-off place hopefully puts to bed the ridiculous (and rather sickening) cliches that are bandied around, especially by the media. "Mr Bolton" "Cut him in half and he bleeds Bolton".
The MLS transfer window ends May 6. If he wants to get his MLS career started then he has to come before the play-offs, or wait until July 9.

I haven't really been following the sordid details of Davies' apparent fall from grace at Bolton, but I do think you've got some misconceptions about MLS here.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I could be completely wrong but I thought I read a while back that Davies had started some sort of coaching badges ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:MLS is also a physical league with abysmal refereeing, which would suit a 36 year old Davies.
Ask Vancouver Whitecaps' Reo-Coker, who nearly launched someone into space the other day... :shock:

Interested to hear he wouldn't be a designated player, Peds. Have they already got one, or do they just think he's not worth the money? (sorry, that sounds like a leading question)

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Just in case someone doesn't know about the designated player system, you're allowed two DPs in MLS . . . three if you pay a special one-off "luxury tax." The first $375,000 of the DP's salary counts against the cap, the rest doesn't. Hence why Henry can make $5 million.

Toronto has one DP, Danny Koevermans, who has been out since last summer with an ACL injury. So at least one DP spot is open, but if Davies is willing to sign for less than $375,000 a year then there is no reason to make him a DP.
Last edited by H. Pedersen on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Just in case someone doesn't know about the designated player system, you're allowed two DPs in MLS . . . three if you pay a special one-off "luxury tax." The first $375,000 of the DP's salary counts against the cap, the rest doesn't. Hence why Henry can make $5 million.

They have one DP, Danny Koevermans, who has been out since last summer with an ACL injury. So at least one DP spot is open, but if Davies is willing to sign for less than $375,000 a year then there is no reason to make him a DP.
Haaas, ha, ha, ha.

HE may be ... though I doubt it .... but it's a certainty that Emma won't.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Frings has retired, so that's free'd a place up. I thought Earnshaw may have been it, but been advised reliably that he ain't.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Just in case someone doesn't know about the designated player system, you're allowed two DPs in MLS . . . three if you pay a special one-off "luxury tax." The first $375,000 of the DP's salary counts against the cap, the rest doesn't. Hence why Henry can make $5 million.

Toronto has one DP, Danny Koevermans, who has been out since last summer with an ACL injury. So at least one DP spot is open, but if Davies is willing to sign for less than $375,000 a year then there is no reason to make him a DP.

Thanks for that - was just about to ask.

I'd have thought SKD's move to Canada would be about anything but money to be honest. From what I've heard and seen of the place I'd be hauling my sorry arse over there in the blink of an eye.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Thanks for that - was just about to ask.

I'd have thought SKD's move to Canada would be about anything but money to be honest. From what I've heard and seen of the place I'd be hauling my sorry arse over there in the blink of an eye.
Bruce, one of my mates plays there and he absolutely adores the place. He struggles a bit in summer as he's a ginger, but his lifestyle is brilliant and he's settled into the place like he's been there his whole life. If they offered him a 10yr contract, he'd sign it tomorrow
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jakerbeef wrote:Some of the twitter stuff may have aided the decision, as neither him nor the missus have had much luck with that idiotic website.
It's as idiotic as you make it. Nobody forces you to read the more stupid end of it, just like you can't blame Johanes Gutenberg for Mein Kampf, or Mr Sennheiser for One Direction. But like a pamphlet or a microphone it does help people get noticed, and in that way I'd argue strongly against your supposition that Emma Davies hasn't "had much luck" with Twitter: she wouldn't get 6,644 followers any other way.
Well that's most of my points shot down. :D I just think that as a website it's interesting for celebs to offer tidbits, breaking news, footy talk and indeed massed conjecture. It has pros and cons but plenty of perils and pitfalls too and I think anyone with thin skin should steer clear because things get ugly on it. Which is more concise than 'idiotic', I'll admit.
boltonboris wrote:Frings has retired, so that's free'd a place up.
If Toronto is as good as they say, then surely Frings can only get better?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:Frings has retired, so that's free'd a place up. I thought Earnshaw may have been it, but been advised reliably that he ain't.
Indeed, it seems Earnshaw is not taking a DP place. I would still think he'll be on $200,000+ (we won't know until the salary figured are released some time next month) which would still be a decent chunk out of the salary cap, making it more difficult to sign anyone as a DP.