Wigan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Wigan

Post by Jez » Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Pardew must be praying Newcastle go down, imagine the pay off

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 pm

I dislike Wigan, historically, not least because they hate us. If you see that as insignificant, then so is our attitude to Man United.

I think Bob Martin makes interesting tactical decisions but gets more credit than he deserves for his 1ppg record.

I despise Dave Whelan, who adores himself and thinks everybody else should.

This is only the second season in history that Wigan have been in a division above us; I've seen them both and I don't want it to happen again.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm

about damn time they came down and i'm glad if they do. mainly because it's usually a good away day at a cheap price and whelan is a c*nt.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I dislike Wigan, historically, not least because they hate us. If you see that as insignificant, then so is our attitude to Man United.

I think Bob Martin makes interesting tactical decisions but gets more credit than he deserves for his 1ppg record.

This is only the second season in history that Wigan have been in a division above us; I've seen them both and I don't want it to happen again.
This :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd much rather Newcastle go down than Wigan.

One of the more satisfying things at the end of a football season is seeing lingering pictures on MOTD of fat geordies crying.......................................

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd much rather Newcastle go down than Wigan.

One of the more satisfying things at the end of a football season is seeing lingering pictures on MOTD of fat geordies crying.......................................

Would prefer Wigan. Newcastle would be more of a threat next season than Wigan IMO

Mind you so will Doncaster :D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I dislike Wigan, historically, not least because they hate us. If you see that as insignificant, then so is our attitude to Man United.

Boom! in one!

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Yep, I know a few Wigan fans and they really hate us. More so than any other club. If that's not enough reason to dislike them I don't know what is.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 08, 2013 10:57 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:Yep, I know a few Wigan fans and they really hate us. More so than any other club. If that's not enough reason to dislike them I don't know what is.
Which is sort of our position with Stretford.

I just wish they knew their place and would return to it ... pdq.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I think the difference with Man Utd is that they're pretty much universally hated, so the 'real' Man Utd fans don't tend to care about us. It's the Man Utd supporters who are from Bolton and don't go to the games who don't like us because they know so many people who support Bolton who dislike Man Utd.

With Wigan it's a bit different.

Of course this is all from my perspective and from knowing people who support different teams, it could be viewed differently by others.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:Yep, I know a few Wigan fans and they really hate us. More so than any other club. If that's not enough reason to dislike them I don't know what is.
Yeah, I know. But there's really no reason to return it...

The FRS are the FRS and that's significant enough reason to hate them - that and the 118 games we've played against them...

Wigan - 32 - not enough game time to care very much, I reckon...

Well, I don't...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 09, 2013 12:07 am

I know a few Wigan fans. They don't seem to hate us in the same way as, say, Bury do. really.

And they have a really good song thats a pisstake of the "we've won it 5 times" malarky.

TBH, I want them down simply because its a nice close away game.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ratters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ratters » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

Hate Wigan! When I was a kid they were in the Lancashire Combination with Horwich RMI and Chorley.
My Dad took me to both Wanderers and Wigan Rugby League and I continue to support both.
Wigan is not a football town it is rugby through and through and Whelan has done his best to destroy Wigan rugby to the benefit of Latics. He succeeded in destroying Orrell RUFC, who were a Premiership side and now hardly exist.
Hope Wigan come own and do a Wolves or even further.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Born and bred in Wigan but would love to see them relegated (as I can walk to the ground from my house) and it'd really p1ss off all my latics supporting mates who have taken great joy in season long mockery of them being in the prem and us being in the championship, plus as stated before, Dave Whelan is a feckin wanker. That is all!!!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 pm

ratters wrote:Hate Wigan! When I was a kid they were in the Lancashire Combination with Horwich RMI and Chorley.
My Dad took me to both Wanderers and Wigan Rugby League and I continue to support both.
Wigan is not a football town it is rugby through and through and Whelan has done his best to destroy Wigan rugby to the benefit of Latics. He succeeded in destroying Orrell RUFC, who were a Premiership side and now hardly exist.
You a Horwich guy then ratters ?

I also watched Wigan Rubgy amd Horwich RMI as well as the Wanderers. From Horwich it was a simple one-bus job into Wigan AND included the thrill of sitting upstairs on the front seat as the bus came down Tanner's Brow on the return journey.

I think the Wigan football team you'd have seen in the Lancashire Combination would have been Wigan Rovers though. Wigan Athletic were always a step above the RMI. That I could cope with ... it's them being a step above Bolton I can't take.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm with Bobo. This is Other Football territory.
amazing. could've put my mortgage on it.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu May 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Watching the Wigan Swansea match, I was hoping they would get a good result and stay up. But after watching the way they conceded the second and third goals, they fully deserve to be relegated.

I wonder if that's what others thought about us last year?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2013 2:31 pm

I like watching them. Especially when they concede.

There was a part of me that wanted them to win the other night, but mainly to make it a massive eight-way bunfight for the last drop-spot.

ratters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ratters » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
ratters wrote:Hate Wigan! When I was a kid they were in the Lancashire Combination with Horwich RMI and Chorley.
You a Horwich guy then ratters ?

I also watched Wigan Rubgy amd Horwich RMI as well as the Wanderers. From Horwich it was a simple one-bus job into Wigan AND included the thrill of sitting upstairs on the front seat as the bus came down Tanner's Brow on the return journey.

I think the Wigan football team you'd have seen in the Lancashire Combination would have been Wigan Rovers though. Wigan Athletic were always a step above the RMI. That I could cope with ... it's them being a step above Bolton I can't take.
Yes. I lived in Horwich until the mid 60s and my Dad worked on the loco works and I watched RMI. I remember them winning Lancs Comb in 58 (I think) with Latics (yes it was Latics!) in mid table. Now exiled in Brum and follow soccer, rugby (both codes) and dislike the way Whelan has sidelined rugby, particularly Orrell. If it wasn't for Ian Lenhighan I think Wigan RL could be struggling too.
Remember the bus (No15 I think) and th Tanners Bow climb and fall. Brings back memories

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 09, 2013 5:21 pm

wigan white wrote:Born and bred in Wigan but would love to see them relegated (as I can walk to the ground from my house) and it'd really p1ss off all my latics supporting mates who have taken great joy in season long mockery of them being in the prem and us being in the championship, plus as stated before, Dave Whelan is a feckin wanker. That is all!!!!

So born in Wigan but choose to support Bolton. Hmmm... I'm getting the words.... Glory Hunter.

:mrgreen: