To Elland back! - Leeds (A) 8/3/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: To Elland back! - Leeds (A) 8/3/14

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Only ever went to Elland Road a couple of times. The most memorable one was going from work (Liverpool) on a Wednesday night for a cup game( sometime mid sixties?) . Had to leave the car on some sort of an unfinished bit of motorway and walk a fair old way in the fog....to find the ground full and we were locked out. Must have been a hell of a lot of folk in the same boat because walking there was like a pilgimage to Santiago de Compostela, ie a lot of pilgrims. Had to walk back to the car and catch some of the match on radio. We lost....not my finest night. :(
That was the 1976 3rd round, 2nd replay v Newcastle Tango.

I went to Leeds Uni and so popped down to Elland Road a good few times. The natives are fckg crackers. In those days, "when winters were winters" these clowns would go to winter night matches in t-shirts and with their scarves tied round their wrists.

"We are Leeds !" indeed.
Aye, working back, you're right Bobo. Couldn't remember off-hand who we played but you're right about the Leeds lot, nutters. Mind you, has ther ever been a period when they weren't? I sure can't remember one. There's a video around somewhere showing their antics when Millwall visited there not that long ago. Mindless.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Only ever went to Elland Road a couple of times. The most memorable one was going from work (Liverpool) on a Wednesday night for a cup game( sometime mid sixties?) . Had to leave the car on some sort of an unfinished bit of motorway and walk a fair old way in the fog....to find the ground full and we were locked out. Must have been a hell of a lot of folk in the same boat because walking there was like a pilgimage to Santiago de Compostela, ie a lot of pilgrims. Had to walk back to the car and catch some of the match on radio. We lost....not my finest night. :(

I went to Leeds Uni and so popped down to Elland Road a good few times. The natives are fckg crackers. In those days, "when winters were winters" these clowns would go to winter night matches in t-shirts and with their scarves tied round their wrists.

"We are Leeds !" indeed.
I was going to that match with friends but barely made it to the end of St Peters Way! Traffic was chaos and we never got any closer than that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Had to leave the car on some sort of an unfinished bit of motorway and walk a fair old way
It still looks unfinished thereabouts...

For me, going to Elland Road will always mean two decades after your hike... and, now I think about it, 18 years ago this week. The week after Black Sunday's 6-0 home drubbing to That Lot, we went there without a prayer and emerged with a 1-0 win: Gudni Bergsson's goal (in, as I recall, a back six) cut the gap at the bottom from five points to three.

Next match, we won 2-0 at Coventry and suddenly we were in with a chance... but Aidan Davison's lack of motor control meant we lost the midweek game at home to Spurs 3-2... we beat Sheff Weds that weekend at home, could have had four on the bounce...

Might have said this before but for the fanzine I did a league table at season's end compiling just the results after McFarland was sacked. We were mid-table.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:51 pm

I had to miss that match as I had a Uni interview. I did a 'Likely Lads' and avoided hearing about the match or result. I got home and at 10.30pm the match was on TV & I had to stop my mum telling me the score, as she was clearly itching to do.

After maybe 20 minutes Bolton conceded. Mother got up from her chair and said "well, that's that ... I'm off to bed now !".

Thanks mum.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I had to miss that match as I had a Uni interview. I did a 'Likely Lads' and avoided hearing about the match or result. I got home and at 1.30pm the match was on TV & I had to stop my mum telling me the score, as she was clearly itching to do.

After maybe 20 minutes Bolton conceded. Mother got up from her chair and said "well, that's that ... I'm off to bed now !".

Thanks mum.
Only us old gits will know what that means :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 pm

clapton is god wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I had to miss that match as I had a Uni interview. I did a 'Likely Lads' and avoided hearing about the match or result. I got home and at 1.30pm the match was on TV & I had to stop my mum telling me the score, as she was clearly itching to do.

Thanks mum.

http://www.entrepreneursolo.com/entrepr ... k-away-now" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I had to miss that match as I had a Uni interview. I did a 'Likely Lads' and avoided hearing about the match or result.
http://www.entrepreneursolo.com/entrepr ... k-away-now
Heh, good piece, thanks TD.

As I'm contractually obliged to watch MotD (#firstworldproblem) I still "do a Likely Lads" most Saturdays if I'm not working the afternoon shift. (Following the BWFC twitter feed during our match keeps me up to date with that shambles without spoiling the surprise, even if it spoils the afternoon.) But the writer of the above piece is right: for instance, last Saturday I accidentally spied an email from a betting company saying "Arsenal drift while Chelsea odds shorten" and immediately knew two results...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 pm

I might try to get that in my contract. She'd have to let me watch it then!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:14 pm

clapton is god wrote:

Thanks mum.
The Likely Lads was brilliant, Terry Collier is one of my heroes.
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

"We are Leeds !" indeed.
Aye, working back, you're right Bobo. Couldn't remember off-hand who we played but you're right about the Leeds lot, nutters. Mind you, has ther ever been a period when they weren't? I sure can't remember one. There's a video around somewhere showing their antics when Millwall visited there not that long ago. Mindless.
I think it is a Macintyre programme called "CCTV cities" and it basically shows how the Police use CCTV at football and what my generation would call "major disorder" or what your generation would call "minor disorder".

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 pm

I have found a Weatherspoon in Leeds station, so will be heading there unless its filled with Yorkshire.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Had to leave the car on some sort of an unfinished bit of motorway and walk a fair old way
It still looks unfinished thereabouts...

For me, going to Elland Road will always mean two decades after your hike... and, now I think about it, 18 years ago this week. The week after Black Sunday's 6-0 home drubbing to That Lot, we went there without a prayer and emerged with a 1-0 win: Gudni Bergsson's goal (in, as I recall, a back six) cut the gap at the bottom from five points to three.

Next match, we won 2-0 at Coventry and suddenly we were in with a chance... but Aidan Davison's lack of motor control meant we lost the midweek game at home to Spurs 3-2... we beat Sheff Weds that weekend at home, could have had four on the bounce...

Might have said this before but for the fanzine I did a league table at season's end compiling just the results after McFarland was sacked. We were mid-table.
My Dad was at that one TD, remember him telling me about the traffic and abandoning cars.
My only visit DSB was the one were we lost to a Haisselbaink goal, when was that? 90s sometime, you're my age.

As for the back six, Dougie might be ok about digging up the past if you mention that. :grin:

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Or he could take inspiration from Yeovil and play a back 7.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 pm

2-1 to the Wanderers.

Mason and Danns.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
danhorwich wrote:Right so who is going, I am and I think OD will be, anyone else up for it? pre game meet in a pub although I have yet to research where the away "friendly" pubs are.
You'll have a hard time finding any friendly pub in Leeds...
Give over!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Always gone in the Peacock before, nay bother. but apparently there's an away bar 'a la bwfc fanzone' in one of the stands?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote: My Dad was at that one TD, remember him telling me about the traffic and abandoning cars.
As I remember it, it was all a bit weird. We all drove into this end of nowhere area, left the cars and just wandererd off like a load of lemmings and followed the leaders into the fog/mist whatever. Nodbody seemed to worry about leaving their vehicles in the fog but I suppose sombody must have known where we were (I certainly didn't). No tea, just a brew, a fair drive from Liverpool and a decent walk....all to be locked out and not see anything of the game. Luckily/unluckily many others suffered the same fate so at least we could follow them back to where we'd left the vehicles. Bit of a fandango getting out as I recall, but at least we missed the bulk of the traffic going home.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am

Anyway......off with All Our Yesterdays and back to the present. Will the present euphoria last for this one? Even winning won't see any sudden dives up the table, but at least it'll keep us pegging away at it. Much depends, as ever, on what the others do just as much as what we do......and we're going to win....aren't we? :wink:

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm

I've been to Elland Road three times.

Once to see Great Brtain v Australia and the Leeds 'fans' were fighting with Wakefield fans.

To see England play Sweden in that Umbro Cup nonsense where the Leeds fans spent the full 90mins alternating between booing Gary Pallister and chanting 'Y'bowwwwa' (who they'd never heard of until the week before).

And when we beat them in the Prem 2-0 where they...well you can imagine.

Personally I'd saw Yorkshire off and push it out to sea but not until we've won on Saturday 3-0 - PROVING that DF was right all along.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Anyway......off with All Our Yesterdays and back to the present.
You are Brian Inglis, pay my fiver into the fighting fund.