Any Bolton fans based in Bristol or Bath?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Re: Any Bolton fans based in Bristol or Bath?

Post by danhorwich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
maxjmay wrote:If I manage to get a company then yeh I'm doing a placement, had an interview today with a company near Reading so hopefully that has gone well and I can go to that game next year if they don't get promoted.
Oh, take care .... I believe it's a shithole !!
That is a reference to me by the way Max, I claim that everywhere is a sh**hole and being based in Wokingham I am perfectly placed to give my opinion on Reading and everywhere around it. As a whole Berkshire is snobby and posh and the people have prejudices against anyone born north of Oxford as I have found out (in fact they see northerners as sub human species). If you give me the exact town that it is in then I can tell you what I think. Don't worry I have my answer prepared for every single town in England. The only place which is not a sh**hole is Horwich which is where all things are pure and good :) .
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

maxjmay
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by maxjmay » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Ah okay, it's Bracknell where I am hoping to be working next year, which as I saw today is just one big industrial park. Going to have to find some rooms for let in a nicer area if I can.

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Bracknell is a big industrial park and was at one stage the south east's hotspot of motor theft so don't go leaving your car anywhere silly. The problem you will face in renting is that the area is super expensive but there is good train connections to Bracknell.

maxjmay
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by maxjmay » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I've not a car at the moment, passed my test but just not had the need for one. I've heard its expensive, but I don't need luxury so I'm sure I'll find somewhere. Isn't Wokingham close to Bracknell? I'd be looking for some people to go to away games with next year, if you'll still be in that area?

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 pm

I might be in the area but tbh have ambitions to move back to Horwich. Sadly that involves getting a full time accountancy job and given I have applied for 100s and not even received a reply would suggest is a very difficult prospect. Wokingham is next door to Bracknell and as I found out to my horror the single field that separated our two towns has now been built on meaning there is not only no green space left in Wokingham anymore but we are now joined to Bracknell. Lets put it this way mate rent in this area is probably going to set you back £10000 - £12000 a year minimum.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Dan quick tip. Don't just apply. Apply, follow up, then follow up again. Then ask for feedback and for advice (in their opinion) as to the best way to give yourself the best chance you can of being noticed.

You'll be amazed how receptive people can be of you look like you're making a genuine effort. I never reply it I get a CV in the post it by email. But I always keep them to see if they follow it up.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 pm

I have followed up to some but I will do so to all of them, infact I will apply to some now. I obviously do covering letters but thanks for the advice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 pm

maxjmay wrote:I've not a car at the moment, passed my test but just not had the need for one. I've heard its expensive, but I don't need luxury so I'm sure I'll find somewhere. Isn't Wokingham close to Bracknell? I'd be looking for some people to go to away games with next year, if you'll still be in that area?
We are led to believe down south there is surplus garden shed accomodation at reasonable rates :mrgreen:

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 pm

If you have a look on Zoopla you will find that rent for just a spare room in the Bracknell/Wokingham somebodies house is more expensive than renting a terrace house in Bolton area. It is madness.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:15 am

danhorwich wrote:I have followed up to some but I will do so to all of them, infact I will apply to some now. I obviously do covering letters but thanks for the advice.
Also, if you're applying for jobs outside the area you live, some employers might worry about long commutes. Either explain you're looking to move or your address off any I initial application.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 am

boltonboris wrote:Dan quick tip. Don't just apply. Apply, follow up, then follow up again. Then ask for feedback and for advice (in their opinion) as to the best way to give yourself the best chance you can of being noticed.

You'll be amazed how receptive people can be of you look like you're making a genuine effort. I never reply it I get a CV in the post it by email. But I always keep them to see if they follow it up.
He's right, Dan. You're in a competitive market, so act like you want it more than others.

On the flip side, I immediately bin badly-written work applications. If you can't be arsed spell-checking a 200-word letter when you haven't got a job, I doubt you'd be that bothered when you're on the payroll.

We once had an email request with "work experience" misspelt in the subject line, then misspelt differently in the body copy. Considering we get several dozens requests per week for a maximum of three available slots, that kind of thing's not going to help.

Oh and one more thing - don't invest too much emotional weight in any given application. Once you've sent it it's out of your hands (bar the following-up Boris sagely advises) so don't sit wondering.

And this concludes the somewhat off-topic careers advice. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 am

maxjmay wrote:Ah okay, it's Bracknell where I am hoping to be working next year, which as I saw today is just one big industrial park. Going to have to find some rooms for let in a nicer area if I can.
Many IT Companies in Bracknell around Amen Corner etc., have pretty good grad schemes. Quite a few of them, will pay your exes from your base loaction, if you need to travel, including your overnight accomm etc. This often depends on what they said about relocation etc. And where your base location will be, at interview.

I spend a fair proportion of my time at our HO in Bracknell, but live Oop North. Never really felt the need to move.