Interview with Paul Jones

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Interview with Paul Jones

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Didn't Allardyce live down Oakenbottom Road too, or am I getting befuddled again?
Not that I know, he may have years before my folks and subsequently me moved in. My big claim to fame at the time was Winnie came to look at our house when it was up for sale because it was near to Burnden.
Pfffft.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Back in the day, as a yoof, I ran on the pitch and patted Paul Jones on the back after watching him play in a pre season Bolton XI against Chorley at Victory Park.

One of only 3 Bolton players I ever touched. Makes me sound a bit weird, but its true.
Hope is what keeps us going.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Back in the day, as a yoof, I ran on the pitch and patted Paul Jones on the back after watching him play in a pre season Bolton XI against Chorley at Victory Park.

One of only 3 Bolton players I ever touched. Makes me sound a bit weird, but its true.
You don't sound weird, I too have an uncanny knack of bumping into Bolton players, especially living for a time in Manchester
Pfffft.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Back in the day, as a yoof, I ran on the pitch and patted Paul Jones on the back after watching him play in a pre season Bolton XI against Chorley at Victory Park.

You don't sound weird, I too have an uncanny knack of bumping into Bolton players, especially living for a time in Manchester
If you're interested, the other 2 were Alan Gowling, who's hand I shook at a Chorley Jubilee Youth League presentation evening at Chorley Town Hall (where we (Yarrow Youth) had won absolutely everything going) and Len Cantello who tried to kick me around the park for 90 mins back in the 80s whilst I was playing in the Lancashire League.
Hope is what keeps us going.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:17 pm

I have a photo of sam allardyce, taken while we were on holiday abroad...it's a great pic, will have to dig it out sometime

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:59 pm

twilight wrote:I have a photo of sam allardyce, taken while we were on holiday abroad...it's a great pic, will have to dig it out sometime
Weird....I've got one of those also from a holiday in Portugal and he was Blackburn manager at the time :(
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:

If you're interested, the other 2 were Alan Gowling, who's hand I shook at a Chorley Jubilee Youth League presentation evening at Chorley Town Hall (where we (Yarrow Youth) had won absolutely everything going) and Len Cantello who tried to kick me around the park for 90 mins back in the 80s whilst I was playing in the Lancashire League.
Cantello would have kicked anyone up and down the pitch and Gowling seems like a thoroughly nice if a little unassuming
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:13 pm

twilight wrote:I have a photo of sam allardyce, taken while we were on holiday abroad...it's a great pic, will have to dig it out sometime
I have an old b&w photo of me asking Paul Jones for his autograph as he reported for training at Burnden in about 76 if you'd like to see it?
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 pm

I believe you've posted it around here already, Bruce? Hang on I will have alook

This un? viewtopic.php?p=756990#p756990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:46 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Used to live in my street when I lived in Bolton. I was a bit young to know who he was
Do you mean the little lane at the bottom of Oakenbottom Road that goes over the bridge to Tong Fold? I lived in Lever Hall Road for years and my dad pointed out Jonah's house to me. Is that the one - or was my dad bull shXttXng me?
I do! Fudge. I might know you, when did you live in Lever Hall Rd?
Sorry taking so long to get back - lived their from 1958 to 1975 - No 13 (wasn't unlucky for me)