Roy Hartle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Roy Hartle

Post by Enoch » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 pm

When I told my Dad Roy had passed away he looked at me and said, 'Who?'

Roy's cup final shirt is on display at the ground I believe. Met him once briefly, long time ago.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 pm

I know this thread has gotten old, but the club has posted this on their youtube site:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Some good old names there and good to see Wyn Davies alive and kicking. Must admit when I first clocked Warwick Rimmer I thought it was Tommy Smith from Liverpool. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Some good old names there and good to see Wyn Davies alive and kicking. Must admit when I first clocked Warwick Rimmer I thought it was Tommy Smith from Liverpool. :oops:
Aye, made me feel sentimental seeing some of those players... Greaves, Rimmer, Farrimond, never going to be world beaters but club men from toe nails to dandruff...

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:48 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Some good old names there and good to see Wyn Davies alive and kicking. Must admit when I first clocked Warwick Rimmer I thought it was Tommy Smith from Liverpool. :oops:
Aye, made me feel sentimental seeing some of those players... Greaves, Rimmer, Farrimond, never going to be world beaters but club men from toe nails to dandruff...

Full Backs union...

Farrimond, Cooper, Nicholson...

And good to see so many of my boyhood heroes
What goes around may still come around

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 am

William the White wrote:
Indeed, we may not see their like again. (Is CYL now our longest-serving player, or is it Bogdan having come as a kid)?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

EverSoYouri wrote:
William the White wrote:
Indeed, we may not see their like again. (Is CYL now our longest-serving player, or is it Bogdan having come as a kid)?
Bogdan. Signed in Aug 07 - Sammy Lee era!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Exceptional tribute by the man on the microphone and on the big screen prior to kick off today....

Well done BWFC....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:12 am

Peter Thompson wrote:Exceptional tribute by the man on the microphone and on the big screen prior to kick off today....

Well done BWFC....
Absolutely, and many thanks also the the Huddersfield supporters for their impeccable observance of the minutes silence.
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:25 pm

2 minutes 39 in to the video, a fella I'd never heard of

His book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dav-Anecdot ... 0956557317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sto ut Serviam

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:51 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:2 minutes 39 in to the video, a fella I'd never heard of

His book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dav-Anecdot ... 0956557317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I read this article correctly it looks like his playing career in Bolton was over when he was about 21. He played for PNE and Wigan later then retired into management at 23. So it is not surprising you never heard of him.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 am

Dunno if anyone has seen this on Roy Hartle - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 27395.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:41 pm

A really nice obituary.

Puts Chopper Harris in his place.

And recognises the right to be recognised as cup winners, not just intruders on Munich grief.

Still one of my boyhood heroes
What goes around may still come around

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Ahhh the old embankment and Warbies sign before that bloody supermarket!