Beckford gone

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Beckford gone

Post by bedwetter2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Like a number of supporters I thought he would do the business once Dooogiee had an arm around his shoulder - some chance. Nevertheless we were not the only ones to be taken in by his Leeds goal-scoring stats. Leicester (and Neverton) were were even more gullible.

I am glad that the whirlwind that is Lenny is going through 'em like a dose of salts and Beckford was squad-blocking (same as geriatric bed-blocking but without the bed) so his removal is a good thing both financially and probably in terms of further building that never say die attitude which was sorely needed.

Regarding Eidur, I'm not too sure that the hole left in the squad will be filled solely by him. It is probable that if Hooper comes at all, Norwich will only grudgingly loan him out in January so I think there may be an opportunity for one of the fringe players to be tested to see if he sinks or swims.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:48 pm

↑↑↑↑ from the man who brought to Vela may I say the name "Clough".

He's the one.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Glad he's gone, the fog that Dougie left us is beginning to clear. Very impressed with NL so far, think he'll do well with us in the next few years.
bobo the clown wrote:Just checked again this morning ... in case it was a dream. He really has gone.

He did well for Grayson at Dirty Leeds and again at Huddersfield so maybe it'll work but his attitude stank. Maybe he was used to adoring fans who would support his diving and flopping about but it was clear he disliked the fans here as much as we did him. Just another waste of space cleared out.
I disagree there, to an extent. I think his approach and playstyle stank, but his attitude seemed alright. He never seemed lazy or uninterested in the fans or club in interviews and press releases. I just don't think his "luxury poacher" playstyle suited ours. He's just another talented player who instead of grafting and chasing the ball, threw his arms up every time he lost possession or a pass didn't come his way. If he spent more time moving and chasing than throwing his arms up in frustration I think he'd be a good double-digit striker.
I think hard work and effort from Beckford would have only come about as a result of the fans getting behind him. Shame really as in order to get behind him we would've had to have seen quite a bit of effort. Catch 22 really. So I think its a case of if Beckford was to be successful at a club we would've required a good deal of luck in the first few months.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:53 am

Mar wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:Glad he's gone, the fog that Dougie left us is beginning to clear. Very impressed with NL so far, think he'll do well with us in the next few years.
bobo the clown wrote:Just checked again this morning ... in case it was a dream. He really has gone.

He did well for Grayson at Dirty Leeds and again at Huddersfield so maybe it'll work but his attitude stank. Maybe he was used to adoring fans who would support his diving and flopping about but it was clear he disliked the fans here as much as we did him. Just another waste of space cleared out.
I disagree there, to an extent. I think his approach and playstyle stank, but his attitude seemed alright. He never seemed lazy or uninterested in the fans or club in interviews and press releases. I just don't think his "luxury poacher" playstyle suited ours. He's just another talented player who instead of grafting and chasing the ball, threw his arms up every time he lost possession or a pass didn't come his way. If he spent more time moving and chasing than throwing his arms up in frustration I think he'd be a good double-digit striker.
I think hard work and effort from Beckford would have only come about as a result of the fans getting behind him. Shame really as in order to get behind him we would've had to have seen quite a bit of effort. Catch 22 really. So I think its a case of if Beckford was to be successful at a club we would've required a good deal of luck in the first few months.
So you think everyone should have taken a packet of wet wipes to the match and waved one every time he was on the ball then?

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:10 am

So he did,nt earn legend status here then? He,s still young enough to go on and have a good career at B+Q, or Tesco!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mar wrote: I think hard work and effort from Beckford would have only come about as a result of the fans getting behind him. Shame really as in order to get behind him we would've had to have seen quite a bit of effort. Catch 22 really. So I think its a case of if Beckford was to be successful at a club we would've required a good deal of luck in the first few months.
So you think everyone should have taken a packet of wet wipes to the match and waved one every time he was on the ball then?
No I wasn't saying that at all but I do think it would've helped. Seems like he's a player that will try harder based around whether or not the fans are supportive of him as opposed to someone who would try hard to win the fans over regardless of whether or not they were fully supportive. He's not a bad player but a distinct lack of effort clearly gets shown up.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Mar wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Mar wrote: I think hard work and effort from Beckford would have only come about as a result of the fans getting behind him. Shame really as in order to get behind him we would've had to have seen quite a bit of effort. Catch 22 really. So I think its a case of if Beckford was to be successful at a club we would've required a good deal of luck in the first few months.
No I wasn't saying that at all but I do think it would've helped. Seems like he's a player that will try harder based around whether or not the fans are supportive of him as opposed to someone who would try hard to win the fans over regardless of whether or not they were fully supportive. He's not a bad player but a distinct lack of effort clearly gets shown up.
I'd like to think he's got a decent job with excellent pay and should get on with it regardless, I accept loss of form but this pillock never showed any while he was here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Wasn't he top scorer last season?

Which isn't to say he's the messiah, or that we should have kept him, or that Freedman was a genius, or that Beckford could crack Fermat's last theorem, but it also might make redundant the idea that he never showed any form.

Doesn't have to be black or white.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Wasn't he top scorer last season?

Which isn't to say he's the messiah, or that we should have kept him, or that Freedman was a genius, or that Beckford could crack Fermat's last theorem, but it also might make redundant the idea that he never showed any form.

Doesn't have to be black or white.
He did show some form mid-season, then got dropped. When he came back in he was crap again. Freedman did him no favours there I think was a bit soft and that kind of setback just was too much for him. Speculating of course By the time Lennon arrived I think he was past the point of no return with the club, fans etc and moving him on was best. I was glad to see the back of him though, despite being optimistic on his arrival. I like Preston and Grayson and would be happy for him to be a success, can't see it though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 am

I interviewed Beckford a while back and he was a nice enough bloke. Of course, people change, through success or failure, but I tend to side with those who have said his (relative!) lack of success here wasn't down to a curled lip.

Wanted it to work for him and us. Not bothered about him now he's gone.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I interviewed Beckford a while back and he was a nice enough bloke. Of course, people change, through success or failure, but I tend to side with those who have said his (relative!) lack of success here wasn't down to a curled lip.

Wanted it to work for him and us. Not bothered about him now he's gone.
I agree about the lip.

Waster found wanting.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 am

I do think it became mutual dislike between fans and him.

I'm sure he arrived with the best of intentions, as w did welcoming him. His performances didn't quite fulfil the advertisements ... which happens. However he became a pastiche of himself and his lack of heart on the pitch showed through too often and too clearly. Add that to his desire to hit the ground the moment he was touched ... sometimes while we still were going forward ... and his believe/pretence that he'd been fouled or mistreated by the ref and it all mounted up.

He felt unloved and did little to gain that love. I'm sure he'll see his time here as a dark one in his career.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 am

bobo the clown wrote:I do think it became mutual dislike between fans and him.

I'm sure he arrived with the best of intentions, as w did welcoming him. His performances didn't quite fulfil the advertisements ... which happens. However he became a pastiche of himself and his lack of heart on the pitch showed through too often and too clearly. Add that to his desire to hit the ground the moment he was touched ... sometimes while we still were going forward ... and his believe/pretence that he'd been fouled or mistreated by the ref and it all mounted up.

He felt unloved and did little to gain that love. I'm sure he'll see his time here as a dark one in his career.
And I see his departure as the light at the end of the tunnel, almost as bright as the Freedman light :D

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I interviewed Beckford a while back and he was a nice enough bloke.
Nah, he's black, full of tatts

So he must be a cocky fcuker with a bad attitude

I think he's a real confidence player and I'm surprised Lennon has given up so quickly - unless its cos his wages mean we couldn't keep him, anyway
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I interviewed Beckford a while back and he was a nice enough bloke.
Nah, he's black, full of tatts

So he must be a cocky fcuker with a bad attitude

I think he's a real confidence player and I'm surprised Lennon has given up so quickly - unless its cos his wages mean we couldn't keep him, anyway
Might be that. Might also be that NL demands a lot of effort from every player, and that's just not his game. Like I say, Craig Davies is light years from the perfect striker, but he makes the 4-2-3-1 work (as long as the others score goals).

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Craig Davies is also of that description yet his work rate has always been appreciated.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Athers wrote:Craig Davies is also of that description yet his work rate has always been appreciated.
Exactly.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Athers wrote:Craig Davies is also of that description yet his work rate has always been appreciated.
It wasn't initially
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:43 am

Not sure if anyone saw this...

Wanderers striker "Beckford tells how an ear infection nearly made him retire at Preston North End"

And then in the comments:
There's Stuart Holden who has been out for more than 2 years, suffering countless and continual set backs who is still champing at the bit to get going again.

And there's Jermaine Beckford who considers retirement after 3 weeks because he has a sore ear.
Made me chuckle :lol:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 24, 2015 7:17 pm

I know its league 1 but we really, really got it wrong with this bloke. I think we'll see him at our gaff next season and he'll no doubt score as well.