The Pissing-Conduit run Nothing but Claret. Burrnla A 17/10

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Pissing-Conduit run Nothing but Claret. Burrnla A 17

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:55 am

Tough game. Apart from 'Boro away, this is the only one so far I've been sure we won't get anything. If we come away with anything like a 3-0 defeat at local rivals, it's going to demoralise the squad massively. But I can see it coming.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:10 am

Jugs wrote:Tough game. Apart from 'Boro away, this is the only one so far I've been sure we won't get anything. If we come away with anything like a 3-0 defeat at local rivals, it's going to demoralise the squad massively. But I can see it coming.
Nonesense. A victorious trip and three points to The Whites. Pendle witches, pah, we've got plenty nutters down here. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 am

I really hope I'm wrong, but I cant see any other result other than 3-1 or 4-1 Burnley.

They will play at a quicker tempo, out muscle us and play with more passion & desire. We've had yet another 2 weeks to bring a striker in and yet again absolutely nothing.

The club is on its arse and sinking like a ship - it feels a bit to me like the period just before Lennon arrived, it will probably be our lowest Burnley away following for decades - because a lot of fans are becoming disillusioned again, this alarming continual downward spiral needs to stop, we need a spark, some cause for optimism but unfortunately I can't see it being tomorrow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:14 am

Peter Thompson wrote:I really hope I'm wrong, but I cant see any other result other than 3-1 or 4-1 Burnley.

They will play at a quicker tempo, out muscle us and play with more passion & desire. We've had yet another 2 weeks to bring a striker in and yet again absolutely nothing.

The club is on its arse and sinking like a ship - it feels a bit to me like the period just before Lennon arrived, it will probably be our lowest Burnley away following for decades - because a lot of fans are becoming disillusioned again, this alarming continual downward spiral needs to stop, we need a spark, some cause for optimism but unfortunately I can't see it being tomorrow.
We don't lack passion and desire in my view. Not really. We lack know-how, experience of this level and physical presence.

I'm a bit surprised that given Lennon has talked extensively about physicality since he came, that we haven't addressed this.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:06 am

I also have no optimism for this game. I just expect us to lose every away game now, so any point is s bonus. I look forward to home games because we look like we can do something and we have a go at teams, but away from home we're just a disaster.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am

Chin up you miserable gets. We're going to smash them 3-0.
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 am

A right old tonking is on the cards here. My bet is 4-1 to them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:24 pm

We're more domed than a big domed dome :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:32 pm

apart from Crazy Horse - has NOBODY got any faith in Lenny anymore??? c'mon!!!

fecking whites win - 3points - in the chuffin' bag!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:41 pm

thebish wrote:apart from Crazy Horse - has NOBODY got any faith in Lenny anymore??? c'mon!!!

Lennon ain't out playing on the pitch......

Burnley away is tough but not impossible. I think we'll sneak a point. Local derbies can be unpredictable.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: We don't lack passion and desire in my view. Not really. We lack know-how, experience of this level and physical presence.

I'm a bit surprised that given Lennon has talked extensively about physicality since he came, that we haven't addressed this.

How would you describe the likes of Amos, Prince, Wheater, Pratley, Madine and Heskey then? We can't have a team full of big bruisers.

Trotter is a physical presence, and Lennon is shooing him out, but no one seems to like him anyway. He's the archetypal big lug who can't pass or do anything positive. Which is what a lot of big, physical players are like. Bagging the excellent physical presences (players who can do more than just look like giants and robustly smash a player now and then) costs money, the amount of which we don't have.

With the resources we have, were we really going to get a better target man than Madine, for example?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: We don't lack passion and desire in my view. Not really. We lack know-how, experience of this level and physical presence.

How would you describe the likes of Amos, Prince, Wheater, Pratley, Madine and Heskey then? We can't have a team full of big bruisers.

Trotter is a physical presence, and Lennon is shooing him out, but no one seems to like him anyway. He's the archetypal big lug who can't pass or do anything positive. Which is what a lot of big, physical players are like. Bagging the excellent physical presences (players who can do more than just look like giants and robustly smash a player now and then) costs money, the amount of which we don't have.

With the resources we have, were we really going to get a better target man than Madine, for example?
Physicality is more than just size. Moxey is big but for me not a particularly physical type of lad. Prince isn't even that big but very, very aggressive and wins a lot of aerial and on the ground battles.

Amos is a keeper so isn't challenging for aerial battles.

Wheater is big. Beyond that he's slow and always unfit.

Heskey - see Wheater.

Agree on Pratley and Madine and Prince. But that isn't enough.

We're lightweight in general. Lennon has said this many times through last season and over the summer but for me hasn't fixed it. We kind of know this because he had agreed a deal to sign Rudy Austin, who is exactly the sort of physical midfield presence we lack. But it fell through as we didn't have the money. But I find it odd that since then he's not added any physicality to us really.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Physicality is more than just size. Moxey is big but for me not a particularly physical type of lad. Prince isn't even that big but very, very aggressive and wins a lot of aerial and on the ground battles.

I chuffin' hope he is!!!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Heskey - see Wheater.

We're lightweight in general. Lennon has said this many times through last season and over the summer but for me hasn't fixed it. We kind of know this because he had agreed a deal to sign Rudy Austin, who is exactly the sort of physical midfield presence we lack. But it fell through as we didn't have the money. But I find it odd that since then he's not added any physicality to us really.
Aye, but as I said, do we really have the money to purchase good quality physical lads? Or do we only have the cash to buy players who are no better than, say, Trotter? With that in mind, maybe Lennon has had a look but not really found anyone that fits the bill in his price range.

For ex, Forest are clearly looking for a player of that mould and have come up with Trotter.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:38 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Amos is a keeper so isn't challenging for aerial battles.
I chuffin' hope he is!!!
Aye, my point about Amos is that he is big for set pieces. Consider Mignolet, for example, who looks like a little boy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Heskey - see Wheater.

Aye, but as I said, do we really have the money to purchase good quality physical lads? Or do we only have the cash to buy players who are no better than, say, Trotter? With that in mind, maybe Lennon has had a look but not really found anyone that fits the bill in his price range.

For ex, Forest are clearly looking for a player of that mould and have come up with Trotter.
Trotter isn't a physical type.

Are small foreign full backs who have played in the top leagues cheaper then than a commanding physical midfield player?

The money excuse is tiresome. We don't have money. And that excuse might be valid for a lack of quality. But not for the overall balance we have,.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Trotter isn't a physical type.

and...

Amos isn't challenging for aerial battles.
I think we're entering a zone where all words seem to become meaningless and/or have an alternate but non-specific BWFCi definition!! :D

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Trotter isn't a physical type.

Are small foreign full backs who have played in the top leagues cheaper then than a commanding physical midfield player?

The money excuse is tiresome. We don't have money. And that excuse might be valid for a lack of quality. But not for the overall balance we have,.
Trotter isn't a physical type because he's useless, but he is a physical presence nevertheless and he should be more dominant physically because those are his most obvious attributes. He's taller than Pratley and weighs almost 10kg more.

I'm not sure about the full-backs, but obviously Lennon started to prioritise them, maybe due to Vela's pre-season form. I do agree that if we could slot a big lad in there next to Pratley, it would help; but who can you really think of that would come cheap? As an example, I've no idea how much Karl Henry cost QPR but I imagine it was significant. These quality physical lads aren't cheap.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:09 pm

thebish wrote:apart from Crazy Horse - has NOBODY got any faith in Lenny anymore??? c'mon!!!

I've still got faith in Lennon - whether that remains the case in Jan / Feb if we are still shite and down at the bottom remains to be seen - because progress or the lack of it has been very slow almost invisible ! and I did expect more from Lennon even given the state of our finances.

My point about fans being disillusioned again is as much to do with the rudderless way the club is being run at the top, as it is about the spineless, useless, disorganised, leaderless shite we have out on the pitch most weeks