When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:12 pm
It has been noted several times that we have 10pts from 5 games, which extrapolates to 92 pts – almost certainly automatic promotion pace.

10pts from 6 games extrapolates to 76pts, which last season didn't reach the playoffs.
The top three last season lost 7, 4 and 6. You don't want to be on 2 losses after 6 games. Obviously, 6 games in it's not "must win," but it'd be decently handy if we did.

The notion of a home game against a team likely in the mix at the end, can just fall by the wayside, is bizarre.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:33 pm
It has been noted several times that we have 10pts from 5 games, which extrapolates to 92 pts – almost certainly automatic promotion pace.

10pts from 6 games extrapolates to 76pts, which last season didn't reach the playoffs.
The top three last season lost 7, 4 and 6. You don't want to be on 2 losses after 6 games. Obviously, 6 games in it's not "must win," but it'd be decently handy if we did.

The notion of a home game against a team likely in the mix at the end, can just fall by the wayside, is bizarre.
Out of interest if you have it, do we know how many they’d lost by Christmas?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:37 pm

Last year Plymouth started with 9 pts from 5 games, and lost 5-1 to Charlton in their fourth outing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Top three were all on 3 losses @ 25th Dec...

Plymouth were on 47 points from 22...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Top three were all on 3 losses @ 25th Dec...

Plymouth were on 47 points from 22...
Thanks that is a reasonable target then. 2 ppg or better by Christmas.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:14 pm

It's the nature of big games right? Lose, we're off the pace, don't seem to have made bigs steps forward, everything is disaster.

Win, we're another two points up on last season, above 2ppg, 4 points clear of the only team the bookies fancied more.

Man in the arena, and all that.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:14 pm
It's the nature of big games right? Lose, we're off the pace, don't seem to have made bigs steps forward, everything is disaster.

Win, we're another two points up on last season, above 2ppg, 4 points clear of the only team the bookies fancied more.

Man in the arena, and all that.
Yeah - it's the relativity too, obviously. If every other bugger is on 35 points from 22 at Christmas, then being on 36 looks pretty darned good. Parky took us up on 1.86 ppg on 86 points (I think from memory - well the 86 is from memory) - on 25th Dec we were on 43 from 22...so we must've slacked off in the second half :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Well yeah. I don’t like it when Evatt starts with the defensive noises. It shows he believes we are struggling. And PPG at this stage can vary wildly.

The stuff about win percentages too is also a bit ‘pointless’ as I mean he’s managed Bolton at the lowest level and only shares that accolade with Phil Neal.
His press interview today interested me. It seemed to support previous comments from Ghost and Lever End about his personality and thin skin towards any criticism. I don't know who these berks are that had such a go at him after Burton and they're certainly not representative of our fan bases attitude towards him as a whole, but it's obviously got to him.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Well yeah. I don’t like it when Evatt starts with the defensive noises. It shows he believes we are struggling. And PPG at this stage can vary wildly.

The stuff about win percentages too is also a bit ‘pointless’ as I mean he’s managed Bolton at the lowest level and only shares that accolade with Phil Neal.
His press interview today interested me. It seemed to support previous comments from Ghost and Lever End about his personality and thin skin towards any criticism. I don't know who these berks are that had such a go at him after Burton and they're certainly not representative of our fan bases attitude towards him as a whole, but it's obviously got to him.
Honestly I think he’s a good manager. But my read is when he starts doing this (and he’s done it a few times) is when he feels the criticism might have some truth to it…and he reacts like this.

I think real nonsense he could just brush off. But I think this probably irks him cos he knows there are issues and maybe thought we had it cracked early doors.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:33 pm

I agree that he's a decent manager, however he's not as good as 'he' thinks he is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:57 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:33 pm
I agree that he's a decent manager, however he's not as good as 'he' thinks he is.
He’s still very young and learning. If there was anything I would say it’s that I think he massively overestimates how much you can improve players. By the age of 22/23 nowadays they pretty much are what they are. Yes you can work with them on systems and tactical stuff but the gains are marginal.

I think there are players we have who won’t ever be able to add the parts that are missing. No matter how much you work with them.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:57 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:33 pm
He’s still very young and learning. If there was anything I would say it’s that I think he massively overestimates how much you can improve players. By the age of 22/23 nowadays they pretty much are what they are. Yes you can work with them on systems and tactical stuff but the gains are marginal.

I think there are players we have who won’t ever be able to add the parts that are missing. No matter how much you work with them
I think that a lot of fans would agree with this and I think this is why many don't think that we currently have a top 2 quality squad. Lets hope by this evening that we have !

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:54 am

Some startling news....Managers don't play football!

They advise, select, supervise and play chess with their teams. They can add, remove , players, shout at and occasionally kick a coffee cup or two around. What they never do during the course of a match, is kick or head a football. That small task is left to highly paid professional footballers.

If said footballers play well,and of course win games, managers can win a Manager of the Month trophy. The alternative is abuse, criticism and a howling mob of fans with bed-sheets and pitchforks calling for the sack...which will undoubtedly follow unless miracles happen. Players can be chastised, but a good game usually balances the equilibrium and they are usually soon forgiven. Managers, not so.

Who'd be a football manager..? :D

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:21 pm

I had a dream about this one last night (honestly). We won 2-1 playing "Chaz-ball". Hope it comes true.. COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:19 pm

2-2 with Dan scoring off the back of his head in the 99th minute.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:19 pm
While trying to volley it?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:00 pm

Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:20 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:19 pm
While trying to volley it?
Possibly, though I figured he was trying to find the exit at the time :)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:16 pm

I think we can agree on 1 thing. If we go behind, we could be in deep doodoo
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:17 pm

<that's what she said>
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:17 pm
<that's what she said>
:D

I'm rather hoping our forward line gets in behind, before theirs. F'narr...