Wanderers v Geordies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 pm

MOTD highlighted just how much Elmander was targeted by blatant fouls today. That head butt should be a ban when it's watched again and the forearm smash would have done credit to Mick McManus. Big credit as to how he replied. Thought Davo had blood on his mouth when he took the first penalty too. Dirty Bolton hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Thought Davo had blood on his mouth when he took the first penalty too. Dirty Bolton hey?
Yes, he got a smack early on, inside two or three minutes I think it was.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 pm

TBF you be forgiven for forgetting which club Shearer is affiliated with with his comments on MOTD! Plain old praise for us and not sob stories about what they did wrong.

The commentators on football first were better tho, they fecking loved Elmander!!!

It's just soooooo much fun being a wanderer at the moment ( I've been texting my nufc mate 'what time is it?' at five past every hour all night!) but I don't want Europe, would have to sell the house!
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Considering that the top 3 teams are in such indifferent form, I don't think any team could have lived with us today.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:Is this some kind of record for goals scored in a month? 13 in four games!
For Bolton? or the League?
We scored 20 in September 1996, but that was in eight games.

However - and this was the reason I started looking for us surpassing such records, as I remember there being a mad flurry - there was a sequence in Rioch's first year that went:

1) Fulham 1 Bolton 4
2) Bolton 4 Burnley 0
3) Bolton 4 Rochdale 0 (FA Cup)
4) Bolton 5 Bradford 0

That's 17 goals in four games

3 1/2 weeks after that Bradford game, we went to Anfield for an FA Cup third round replay....
That period crossed my mind earlier
Sto ut Serviam

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:55 pm

here's one for ya! Last bolton player to score a hat-trick? If its happened at the reebok I dont recall. Last bolton hat-trick was Sir John McGinlay

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Easy. Bobic. Ipswich.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 am

tripod wrote:here's one for ya! Last bolton player to score a hat-trick? If its happened at the reebok I dont recall. Last bolton hat-trick was Sir John McGinlay
Don't know mate, but right now I don't give a damn who scores. The sheer delight of all the team when we score is great. Cahill had two cracking shots today, one with either foot, that weren't a mile away, Taylor hit the bar and Holden was unlucky not to score. :wink:

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 am

Shit, was there that day aswell! What a sievehead

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:I have a quick question before match comments. When we did get to Europe, did we ever sing "We are Bolton, We are Bolton, We are Football Kings"? :conf:
Yes, it's been sung for donkeys - although it used to be, 'promotion' instead of 'Europe'
I know the chant, I'm just being glib and wondering if we made good on our promise once we reached promotion/wembley/europe to sing said line

As there's nowt wrong with the performance, and I'd be letting as down if I didn't moan...can I have a sulk at MOTD for bumping the game below Chelsea and reds

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:17 am

Ahhhhh, I see what you did there, durrr.

Motd, Who cares, it was perfectly timed to be on as the FF coverage finished! Sweet

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:23 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:I have a quick question before match comments. When we did get to Europe, did we ever sing "We are Bolton, We are Bolton, We are Football Kings"? :conf:
Yes, it's been sung for donkeys - although it used to be, 'promotion' instead of 'Europe'
I know the chant, I'm just being glib and wondering if we made good on our promise once we reached promotion/wembley/europe to sing said line

As there's nowt wrong with the performance, and I'd be letting as down if I didn't moan...can I have a sulk at MOTD for bumping the game below Chelsea and reds
Not really. "League champions and current leaders lose" deserves a bigger story than "Surprise package beat other surprise package" any day of the week. Had we done what Birmingham did today, we'd be moaning if we were under a 5-1 victory against, say, Stoke that moved them into 4th.

The United match tied naturally into that - "can their nearest rivals take advantage of this slip-up?"

Besides, who cares when we're on Match Of The Day, as long as we're not getting the treatment ITV gave us when we were finishing sixth, and giving us 15 seconds at the end of the prgoramme every week, regardless of who we played?
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:27 am

3 litres of Hardys Voyage (£13.98 @Asda) and a few earlier, 5 goals, first gifted by fatboy, one happy happy tramp.

Happy as a pig in shit to say yes Mandy can play just pissed he ain't done it before he's after a big payday.

Knight wants shooting for letting Carol go free for the goal, Holden is the biz, Lee is coming back on form and SKD is SKD a true feckin heroe.

Watch yer backs Red Shite the super whites are a coming.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 am

Hoboh wrote: Knight wants shooting for letting Carol go free for the goal, Holden is the biz, Lee is coming back on form and SKD is SKD a true feckin heroe.
What's happening Hoboh is team spirit and work-rate. Robinson' playing better with Taylor working, Rickets/Steinsson get lot of help from Lee, Muamba and Holden work their socks off and the big lads guard the gates. That leaves KD and Elmo to run riot up front. And they're all doing it for ninety minutes. It's all down to what Coyle's got em doing.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Hoboh wrote: Knight wants shooting for letting Carol go free for the goal, Holden is the biz, Lee is coming back on form and SKD is SKD a true feckin heroe.
What's happening Hoboh is team spirit and work-rate. Robinson' playing better with Taylor working, Rickets/Steinsson get lot of help from Lee, Muamba and Holden work their socks off and the big lads guard the gates. That leaves KD and Elmo to run riot up front. And they're all doing it for ninety minutes. It's all down to what Coyle's got em doing.
Good all well but knight still let feckin Carol roam free for the goal we still need some clean sheets or we'll end up looking like Keegans Barcodes

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:56 am

What a wonderful Sunday morning fillip. Imagine reading an on-line report describing the play of 'brilliant Bolton'! I have no idea what Mr Coyle has done, but I sure as heck hope he keeps doing it. No, I'm not getting ahead of myself, given that two thirds of the season awaits us, but I'm absolutely certain that any football supporter would rather be where we are at the moment than in the position a few other clubs find themselves.

Cheers, lads and lassies. :pissed:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

Well - that was a stunning performance. To a man we harried and fought for every ball and played some great football. Elmo man of the match for me . Special mention to SKD, Holden as always, Cahill and Lee and also to Taylor who I thought had by far his best game for a long, long time. Once again, it's hard to leave anyone out.

As TD points out, the work rate and team spirit is outstanding and is paying dividends now. Credit to Coyle for this.

On the down side, there is no place in the game for the type of attack on Elmo by Collocini - an awful foul. I need to look at Willamson's "head butt" again but at first look on the replay I didn't see that as an innocent collision.

After almost 40 years of watching the Whites it is hard to remember feeling this good about a team - I'm sure I have in the past but I think I'll just enjoy the moment now. I am sure the players are, as they look like they are having more fun than we are.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Well - that was a stunning performance. To a man we harried and fought for every ball and played some great football. Elmo man of the match for me . Special mention to SKD, Holden as always, Cahill and Lee and also to Taylor who I thought had by far his best game for a long, long time. Once again, it's hard to leave anyone out.

As TD points out, the work rate and team spirit is outstanding and is paying dividends now. Credit to Coyle for this.

On the down side, there is no place in the game for the type of attack on Elmo by Collocini - an awful foul. I need to look at Willamson's "head butt" again but at first look on the replay I didn't see that as an innocent collision.

After almost 40 years of watching the Whites it is hard to remember feeling this good about a team - I'm sure I have in the past but I think I'll just enjoy the moment now. I am sure the players are, as they look like they are having more fun than we are.
We've been there a few times only to be dumped at the alter

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:11 am

Hoboh wrote:We've been there a few times only to be dumped at the alter
True enough, though a win against Blackpool next weekend is going end a perfect November (if it wasn't for those thieving scousers).
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:11 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Hoboh wrote:We've been there a few times only to be dumped at the alter
True enough, though a win against Blackpool next weekend is going end a perfect November (if it wasn't for those thieving scousers).
I wish we was playing Celsea next :mrgreen: