Coyle vs Megson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Coyle vs Megson

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 05, 2013 9:14 pm

hi there, i'm craig wrote:Coyle had his flaws but despite everything.....

He is still a legend!
Fckg right he is ..... no mere mortal could possibly have ballsed it up to the extent he did.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm

I take back everything I said in this thread. Give me Megson. Coyle's idiocy not only took us down but made it an uphill battle to come back up.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
hi there, i'm craig wrote:Coyle had his flaws but despite everything.....

He is still a legend!
Fckg right he is ..... no mere mortal could possibly have ballsed it up to the extent he did.
In which case... we've had several demi-gods in charge...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 am

Slightly off-topic but with Fergie retiring and Moyes leaving Everton that leaves the Everton job up for grabs... just had a look on oddschecker for the favourites for Everton. Looks like Laudrup or Martinez... Coyle is pimping himself about a lot at the moment so scrolled down to see where he was... 66/1. Then remembered hearing he was favourite for Millwall, but he's apparently dropped right off on that one too. Just wondering which club will match his ambition and take on his backroom staff... At the same time I couldn't find Megson's name anywhere on aforementioned lists.

Maybe a club who has a really unpopular manager playing awful football could use a Coyle for a season to motivate themselves.

Megson might have shaded it in terms of actually having a clue, but he's widely hated and it looks like he might have bowed out of management... I can't wait to see where, if anywhere, Coyle ends up.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Slightly off-topic but with Fergie retiring and Moyes leaving Everton that leaves the Everton job up for grabs... just had a look on oddschecker for the favourites for Everton. Looks like Laudrup or Martinez... Coyle is pimping himself about a lot at the moment so scrolled down to see where he was... 66/1. Then remembered hearing he was favourite for Millwall, but he's apparently dropped right off on that one too. Just wondering which club will match his ambition and take on his backroom staff... At the same time I couldn't find Megson's name anywhere on aforementioned lists.

Maybe a club who has a really unpopular manager playing awful football could use a Coyle for a season to motivate themselves.

Megson might have shaded it in terms of actually having a clue, but he's widely hated and it looks like he might have bowed out of management... I can't wait to see where, if anywhere, Coyle ends up.
If he insists on bringing his troupe of tossers with him it's likely to be a very long time at indeed.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Megson was an early frontrunner for the Wolves job. No, me either.

Coyle will get another job somewhere, and quite possibly do well for a while. Or maybe a long time, if he gets better staff and learns to listen.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm

I keep hearing about how Coyle will be fine if he gets better staff and "listens to advice". Which is fine and dandy. Except I'd then ask, what the hell does Coyle bring to the show?

Surely the whole point of being a manager is to appoint the right staff, listen to the right people, make the decisions, structure things how you want.

Coyle has had the chance to do all those things. And didn't.

You could probably say ANY manager in the football league will be "ok" if they have a "really experienced assistant and great staff".

I have more sympathy with a manager who goes into a club and isn't given the chance to pick his coaching staff and setup. Sure that's not always easy especially if they are sympathetic to the departing manager etc.

Take an example away from football. All those vacuuos nothing celbrities like Jordan (or whatever she calls herself now) have not made their money by being stupid. They've got the right people in to advise and manage that side for them.

Thats part of it for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Nah. Some managers are knobheads. Coyle's not.

By all accounts he's a hard-working bubbly chin-upper, he likes attacking football, he's won promotions and had cup runs - there must be something there. He just couldn't arrest a slide, and might only ever be a (relatively) short-term fix. Nothing massively wrong with that - Mourinho's never stayed more than three years anywhere.

How he recovers from this, his first setback, will be telling.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Nah. Some managers are knobheads. Coyle's not.

By all accounts he's a hard-working bubbly chin-upper, he likes attacking football, he's won promotions and had cup runs - there must be something there. He just couldn't arrest a slide, and might only ever be a (relatively) short-term fix. Nothing massively wrong with that - Mourinho's never stayed more than three years anywhere.

How he recovers from this, his first setback, will be telling.
Well I don't buy that. I think folk label people as nice guys or knobheads but usually it's a reflection of a persona they put across.

I reckon Ferguson is probably a really decent bloke away from football, but I still think he's a knobhead on the touchline.

I don't think it matters.

What matters is how bright you are and that will in turn dictate how self aware you are of your own limitations, what support you need etc.

Coyle was either negligent and stubborn or just a bit thick. I think it's either or......

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I keep hearing about how Coyle will be fine if he gets better staff and "listens to advice". Which is fine and dandy. Except I'd then ask, what the hell does Coyle bring to the show?

Surely the whole point of being a manager is to appoint the right staff, listen to the right people, make the decisions, structure things how you want.

You could probably say ANY manager in the football league will be "ok" if they have a "really experienced assistant and great staff".

I have more sympathy with a manager who goes into a club and isn't given the chance to pick his coaching staff and setup. Sure that's not always easy especially if they are sympathetic to the departing manager etc.

Take an example away from football. All those vacuuos nothing celbrities like Jordan (or whatever she calls herself now) have not made their money by being stupid. They've got the right people in to advise and manage that side for them.

Thats part of it for me.

as you've already made it clear that you hope that Coyle is never ever given another job in football again at any level - I think we get the message.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I keep hearing about how Coyle will be fine if he gets better staff and "listens to advice". Which is fine and dandy. Except I'd then ask, what the hell does Coyle bring to the show?

Thats part of it for me.

as you've already made it clear that you hope that Coyle is never ever given another job in football again at any level - I think we get the message.
I don't really care. But it's a broader point than just Coyle.

Would you really want a manager who needs an experienced assistant but hasn't made that decision themselves?

I'd rather have a manager who either didn't need one, or more realistically had the sense to realise it and found someone to work with.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote: as you've already made it clear that you hope that Coyle is never ever given another job in football again at any level - I think we get the message.
I don't really care. But it's a broader point than just Coyle.
you cared enough to write it on here quite forcefully IIRC...

oh - and this sounds a little bit personal...
BWFC_Insane wrote:I think 'Coyle is a mahoosive, huuuuuuge c*nt' would be more accurate.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 09, 2013 7:46 pm

I just keep wondering how that dick Gartside who appointed them both and let both over stay their welcomes fails to get a dishonourable mention!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:I just keep wondering how that dick Gartside who appointed them both and let both over stay their welcomes fails to get a dishonourable mention!
90% at least of the fans wanted Coyle as well, as did Celtic and he was being talked up as the next big thing. Appointing him was exactly the right thing to do at the time but none of us had a crystal ball. I'm no big fan of PG but I think that's unfair.
As for Megson, poor appointment but his brief was to keep us up and he did it. fact is we punched above our weight for 11 years as a Prem club and PG deserves some credit for that. I'm also liking his most recent appointment so far. Give the guy a break!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coyle will get another job somewhere
http://t.co/YoUPGf0QwJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
...and the fans are keen too. :lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri May 10, 2013 11:25 am

Good luck to him. I was glad he went when he did, but his side gave me a lot of pleasure over a sweet season that came to a crashing end at Wembley... from which we never recovered in the rest of the season...

too many one dimensional memories here...

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
...and the fans are keen too. :lol:
I know. I've been talking to a Wolves supporting golfing partner just this morning who was quite upbeat about the prospect. I now question his sanity.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Employing your 20 stone brother in law probably seems sensible compared with what they are used too.