Tykes for the chop! - Barnsley (H) 12/4/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Tykes for the chop! - Barnsley (H) 12/4/14

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 am

http://voiceofbolton.com/wanderers-1-ba ... +Bolton%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting and largely accurate (imo) review.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

I'm not being thick here am I, but, we won didn't we?

You wouldn't bloody know it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 am

Prufrock wrote:I'm not being thick here am I, but, we won didn't we?

You wouldn't bloody know it.
If the result is all you go by then "Yay !! Triumph !!"

If the way we were set out, the way we played, the fact that at least 4 players were to all intents & purposes passengers, the fact that Barnsley missed 4 sitters, plays any part in your thinking then .... wtf was that would be, and is, appropriate ?

If DF said "look, we're safe and I was trying some things out and some worked, some didn't" that'd be fine, but he seems to think it was a solid performance and solid result.

So yes, we won so ...... "yay, yay, yaaaaay. Whooooo. Winners !!!"

Is that better ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 am

I'm not all about the result, but given we've lost one in twelve I'd have thought grinding out a 1-0 win whilst giving chances to some fringe players would be cause for a bit more celebration and a bit less 'oh it's awful'.

Someone earlier went on about 'why is it so hard to beat Barnsley'. We're getting back to the realms of expecting to dick everyone 10-0 every week. There was another team playing.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be entitled to say 'yeah we won, but actually we were a bit lucky/shit/uninspiring', I'm just surprised quite how much vociferous it is and how much emphasis is on the second.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 am

'yeah we won, but actually we were a bit lucky/shit/uninspiring'.

Better ?

As I said. If it was a try-out then fair play. But he seems to see this 1-0 thing as the way forward. To be fair to him he's had that in his mind from day one.

If Barnsley had been even mildly competent in front of goal they'd have turned us over like we did to Leeds last month. They are the relegation zone. That Leeds game, & Blackburn, showed what we COULD do if we were set out correctly so they've become a bit of a rod for his own back.

Thinking about it, when I said we were carrying 4 players I may have been being generous. I can think of 6 (Moritz, Trotter, Baptiste, Hall, Lee, Beckford ... can I count him, as he scored, so MUST be MoM, Shirley ?). Fck, the other 5 must have played well. Let's take THAT as a positive maybe.

Because we are grown ups we can see beyond the result .... we weren't poor, we were shite.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:'yeah we won, but actually we were a bit lucky/shit/uninspiring'.

Better ?

As I said. If it was a try-out then fair play. But he seems to see this 1-0 thing as the way forward. To be fair to him he's had that in his mind from day one.

If Barnsley had been even mildly competent in front of goal they'd have turned us over like we did to Leeds last month. They are the relegation zone. That Leeds game, & Blackburn, showed what we COULD do if we were set out correctly so they've become a bit of a rod for his own back.

Thinking about it, when I said we were carrying 4 players I may have been being generous. I can think of 6 (Moritz, Trotter, Baptiste, Hall, Lee, Beckford ... can I count him, as he scored, so MUST be MoM, Shirley ?). Fck, the other 5 must have played well. Let's take THAT as a positive maybe.

Because we are grown ups we can see beyond the result .... we weren't poor, we were shite.

Do you think the carrying of certain players is down to the organization of the team?

Playing Trotter in the role I assume he's played all his career, he didn't do much wrong for me but still didn't break any pots.

I felt sorry again for Baptiste, he's looked uncomfortable at right back so why did Freedman pick him there? Then sub him when he'd made a balls up.

He keeps pissing around with the system and it's getting right on my tits, playing one man up works well for Chelsea and City who have hundreds of millions of pounds of players backing up the striker, but we just can't play it.

Barnsley (and many other teams we've played) played a simple system and were only let down by the quality of the players.

We're vice versa, some talented players led by a tool.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:59 pm

the wide men were anonymous (both in attack and defence) and in a 4-5-1, they're pretty important..

For me, the system would work well if we had a more mobile, direct and quality number 10.. We had one last season. (We may even have one in Danns)

But I'd much prefer Medo to Trottall
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"