"The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons) (A)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: "The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons)

Post by HMX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Thought MK weren't good, and just as I muttered about them somehow getting a sucker punch goal, they did... Sorry about that.

Lovely ground and nice padded seats (for half time). Had a hot dog that I wasn't allowed to take onto the stand because the bread was so hard it could've done serious damage if thrown.

We made quite a few chances, but nothing really solid. Heskey should've buried his header. Got really sick of Feeney and Moxey abuse from the know-nowts next to us. Really disappointing evening in the end.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:If Dougie beats us and I have to see his smug, greasy fecking face I might actually cry.
You mean "if Dougie beats us again..." – we got a shoeing at their place in spring.

I've stuck my neck out on here a few times to say I don't dislike Freedman as much as most. And if we rack up another 20 shots like we did in our last home game, or 18 like last night, and still lose - it won't be his fault. Nor, for that matter, will it be Lennon's. (If we play 3/5 at the back as abjectly as we so frequently have, it will be Lennon's fault.)

I think we're not far from being a decent team. I don't think it's as simple as "once we get one we'll get more [than enough]" - I don't think it's a confidence thing and that the dam will break, although it might well help relax players into making better decisions in the box.

But I maintain that it's better to be scoreless despite having 18 chances then to be scoreless because we created very few chances at all, as has so often been the case - under Freedman's cautious gameplans or Lennon's more variable mindset.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:If Dougie beats us and I have to see his smug, greasy fecking face I might actually cry.
You mean "if Dougie beats us again..." – we got a shoeing at their place in spring.

I've stuck my neck out on here a few times to say I don't dislike Freedman as much as most. And if we rack up another 20 shots like we did in our last home game, or 18 like last night, and still lose - it won't be his fault. Nor, for that matter, will it be Lennon's. (If we play 3/5 at the back as abjectly as we so frequently have, it will be Lennon's fault.)

I think we're not far from being a decent team. I don't think it's as simple as "once we get one we'll get more [than enough]" - I don't think it's a confidence thing and that the dam will break, although it might well help relax players into making better decisions in the box.

But I maintain that it's better to be scoreless despite having 18 chances then to be scoreless because we created very few chances at all, as has so often been the case - under Freedman's cautious gameplans or Lennon's more variable mindset.
Depends how you look at it. Not creating enough chances can sometimes be fixed with a system change or one inspirational player (see Clough impact last season).

Not scoring goals can very quickly become a major psychological issue. See Bolton prior to Juke arriving. Similarly with Le Fondre last season.

I'm not sure either is necessarily better or worse. Last night seemed worse than Boro because against Boro we were playing a good side and we never turned up. Ok tactics were wrong but that is all fixable. MK Dons by all accounts weren't great, we had enough possession and still lost. I know which of those is more worrying when looking forward and it isn't the 3-0.

My main concern is looking at the team as it stands we're totally reliant on Clough finding his shooting boots and Madine actually not being hopeless in front of goal. It is a lot of pressure on a young man and a man looking to rebuild his career (who has only really had a good record the league below). Because I think we need both of them to go well beyond double figures as I don't see many goals from the rest. Clayton when he returns perhaps, but we all know not to rely on people returning from injury.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Well, it's a game of opinions.

I'd rather see us lose 1-0 with 18 shots than lose 1-0 with 1 shot. I think the former means we've got more to be confident about.

I've seen BWFC on many occasions struggle to even get near the opposition goal, and I don't seem to remember the players and fans beaming about it.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Interesting comment for Lennon post match that Silva would have been starting the game, but fir them being 3 minutes too late with his registration.

Not sure what the Moxey haters had to complain about, he had a good game. Vela and Feeney were both poor.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 pm

'Arry wouldn't have had that problem!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Interesting comment for Lennon post match that Silva would have been starting the game, but fir them being 3 minutes too late with his registration.

Not sure what the Moxey haters had to complain about, he had a good game. Vela and Feeney were both poor.
Obviously I don't know the circumstances but on the face of it that's not good club administration.

Plus, as Pru says 'array or Wenger would have sorted it somehow.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Interesting comment for Lennon post match that Silva would have been starting the game, but fir them being 3 minutes too late with his registration.

Not sure what the Moxey haters had to complain about, he had a good game.
Vela and Feeney were both poor.

Commentators said the same!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Never....can't be right - not Feeney, but at least he's committed though !!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Yes, agree with Bob, poor game for Vela - but we do know he's better than that.

We can't have any complaints about Moxey if he plays like that - but we do know he can be a whole lot worse.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:49 pm

William the White wrote:Yes, agree with Bob, poor game for Vela - but we do know he's better than that.

We can't have any complaints about Moxey if he plays like that - but we do know he can be a whole lot worse.
Not picking on you WW, but there in one is the footballs fans variable benchmark. He's a bad un/ we don't like him, low benchmark - begrudging praise when he plays well but he'll revert to type; or he's a good un/ we like him - he's had a few bad games but its just a blip.

Problem is, the benchmark and sentiment can shift - spearing, danns etc. Are they good uns or are they bad uns. Feck knows - sometimes wonder what our team would be like if we had x factor type votes on player recruitment, sales and selection.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:18 pm

either way - it's time for Lenny to prove his mettle and sort it out.. that's his job, for which (I imagine) he is well remunerated.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:46 pm

thebish wrote:either way - it's time for Lenny to prove his mettle and sort it out.. that's his job, for which (I imagine) he is well remunerated.
and your definition of 'sort it out' is ?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 pm

He's been sniping since last season, I wonder if it's due to religious bigotry...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

:lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 pm

And we have needed (sorting out) since last season!!! I remain committed to the Neil Lennon in Brigade!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Jeremiah 5:21

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:either way - it's time for Lenny to prove his mettle and sort it out.. that's his job, for which (I imagine) he is well remunerated.
Stop us losing. Which seems fair enough!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:23 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
as I said before - I will be counting success as anywhere over half way. I know that many predicted promotion playoffs and stuff when lenny arrived - but I think that's asking too much...

so - for me, "sort it out" means using the resources we have including the players he has acquired and getting better results than draw, loss, loss, loss out of them so as to achieve a league position above half way - I don't think our current league return of 0.33pts per game will achieve that...

In our situation - that is what we have needed from a manager for a long time - someone who can get better than average results in a bargain basement world. I still hope Lenny can do this - but that IS the measure of the job - and it's the job he signed up for - so I expect him to get on with it. Coyle and Freedman couldn't hack it - I'm hoping Lenny is better - I'm expecting him to be better...

that's all!

now, I know some have now recalibrated their expectations such that simply avoiding relegation is success - in which case (for them) Lenny needs to sort it so we are out of the bottom three (We are currently bottom.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:31 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
as I said before - I will be counting success as anywhere over half way. I know that many predicted promotion playoffs and stuff when lenny arrived - but I think that's asking too much...

so - for me, "sort it out" means using the resources we have including the players he has acquired and getting better results than draw, loss, loss, loss out of them so as to achieve a league position above half way - I don't think our current league return of 0.33pts per game will achieve that...

In our situation - that is what we have needed from a manager for a long time - someone who can get better than average results in a bargain basement world. I still hope Lenny can do this - but that IS the measure of the job - and it's the job he signed up for - so I expect him to get on with it. Coyle and Freedman couldn't hack it - I'm hoping Lenny is better - I'm expecting him to be better...

that's all!

now, I know some have now recalibrated their expectations such that simply avoiding relegation is success - in which case (for them) Lenny needs to sort it so we are out of the bottom three (We are currently bottom.)
And all this is entirely reasonable. I think any Bolton fan is looking mid table, certainly not bottom three.

Lennon more than maximised what he had when he first arrived. But like previous managers since then results have been poor. There are potential excuses for some of it, but 2 wins in 16 is 2 wins in 16 and needs to be improved because we all need bloody well cheering up!