Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm

feck em
Garner was too public maybe? Did we bluff Wigan and that fat prick joe royle all along?
Not particularly arsed - we can loan another forward.
Left back needs sorting. As does back up keeper.

Oh
Hope Anthony wanky nickname Robinson does his cruciate at the weekend!
Last edited by officer_dibble on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm

KA is a tight arse but he knows what he's doing.

We simply don't have the money that some of our rivals have, to be able to spend millions on players - which is why he should be actively seeking investment ASAP - however even though we've signed no one today its not the big deal that some may think it is - we've got some very good quality players in this pre season & I'm sure that KA will bring in 2 or 3 more decent quality players in before the end of the loan window....we can still loan with a view to buying until the end of the month.

People should not be getting worked up about no signings today....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm

We simply don't have the money that some of our rivals have, to be able to spend millions on players - which is why he should be actively seeking investment ASAP - however even though we've signed no one today its not the big deal that some may think it is - we've got some very good quality players in this pre season & I'm sure that KA will bring in 2 or 3 more decent quality players in before the end of the loan window....we can still loan with a view to buying until the end of the month.

Stop talking sense.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm
That's time gentlemen, and concludes the worst deadline day in living memory.
In terms of numbers, it's true that it can't be anything other than equal worst. But it's only one day. Appreciate we've obviously tried for a couple (or a few) and come up short, but given our finances that's to be expected.
We've done good business up until now (especially given all other than Wildy are permanent), so for me it's not a patch on January when we were forced to go into proper panic-fanny mode and ended up getting some tinsel and a frozen turkey in to celebrate Easter.
We've got a couple of weeks yet to play the loan market like a shrewdy - not forgetting we can sign up out-of-contractors any time. Compared to this time last year (fistpumping the signing of Darby, Armstrong will net us 20 by Christmas etc - anything to fend off the despondency really) I think we're gonna be reet. :box:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Yep. Plenty of “loan with a view to buy” will be done.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

There are a lot of bloated squads in the PL and Championship so there will be players available.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Yes this TW deadline feels very artificial. There isn't much difference between signing today or signing on loan with an agreement to buy tomorrow. No point getting caught up in panicky bidding wars to sign people today, particularly with the level of player we are after.

Personally, I am more than happy with our business so far. Haggling for and signing players is Ken's strength, and imho he has done excellently thus far in this TW, given our meagre resources. If we get a left back, a goalkeeper, another midfielder, and given Parky seems to think we need one (don't see it myself), another striker, whether loans or loans to buy then we will have a decent squad with decent cover in all areas.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm

We'll end up with Wigan's back-up left back on loan
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm

So have Wigan signed both garner and the guy from rangers Ipswich wanted to sign to replace him?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm

FFS I have to agree with you entirely. Load of panic fannies whinging on. We’ve no money . We made some small bids for strikers hoping they’d come off. They didn’t. We can sign some loans to cover the squad holes.

If suitable quality loans aren’t secured then that is the time to complain. But we aren’t going to be bidding over the odds. Everyone knows this, and deadline day is not really a day for bargains.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Well, that was less fun than I'd hoped. This deadline day only really mattered in us getting a surprise package in, though. All the players we've seemingly had long term interest in are still viable - either as loans or free agents.

Not what I'd hoped for, but hardly the end of the world.

*edit* this does complicate the striker hunt, though.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm
So have Wigan signed both garner and the guy from rangers Ipswich wanted to sign to replace him?
Looks that way. They've done some very good business in this window. Arguably better than us, on paper.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:41 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Looks that way. They've done some very good business in this window. Arguably better than us, on paper.
Given they’ve spent 15 times as much then they ought to have!

Shame, but sounds like it was a sellers market today and we banked on teams needing shut of players.

Frankly I hope we move on and get the loans we need sewn up quickly. Can’t be messing now. Especially Gk and Lb.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Well I dunno - where are they playing all these players? Will grigg still there? Bit like forest having a squad of 35; you can only play 11 and have 3 subs!

We need a back up keeper but why not have one on loan. Left back we need and a centre half with pace would be nice. Wilson offers good cover as well. Definitley an improved team on last year post jan.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Well I dunno - where are they playing all these players? Will grigg still there? Bit like forest having a squad of 35; you can only play 11 and have 3 subs!

We need a back up keeper but why not have one on loan. Left back we need and a centre half with pace would be nice. Wilson offers good cover as well. Definitley an improved team on last year post jan.
This.

Small steps. I don't blame KA for not paying what is being spouted for players that look potentially better on paper.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Garner being reported as a £1.25m signing for Wigan. If he cost that then there is a good chance they are paying him decent wages as well.

Absolutely no way we need to getting involved with that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Interesting to see what Parky says this weekend - you can bet we won’t sign anyone before Bristol now. He was clearly promised more signings.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm
Interesting to see what Parky says this weekend - you can bet we won’t sign anyone before Bristol now. He was clearly promised more signings.
I've absolutely no doubt that he'll agree with KA that £1.25M for Garner was way to much.

I also suspect that he'll get more signings as was 'so called' promised, although anyone we would or will sign wouldn't have featured against Bristol City anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 pm

The squad clearly isn't where Parky wants it to be. Are we better off than last season? Yes. Do we have good depth throughout the team as Ken claimed? No, not for me.

We're not going to be messing around with £1m+ players. If what Ken was doing was counting on desperation then you can either view that as balls or folly - I view it as the latter. If we went in at a couple of hundred thousand plus add-ons, as is being reported, we were just taking the piss. If someone had asked about Madine offered 1mil after we'd quoted 6mil, Ken would have been livid. He can't have it both ways.

That's not really a critique of Ken, he is who he is. He's not the sort to care about codes of conduct. I'm pleased he chases decent deals, even if that's just PR spin for having no money and being a chancer.

It's all very well saying "we've got another three weeks", but that's not how it works. We need to get lads in, make sure their fitness is where it needs to be, incorporate them into the team, get their training right etc. That's especially true of the left back, who needs drilling as part of a unit for a couple of weeks before he'll be fully up to speed. The manager wanted this sorted several weeks ago and we're still a few players short, including his "main target" of a proper goalscorer who fits his system.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm
If we signed anyone now that wouldn't play against Bristol anyway. We need a game plan with what we have; the lads that have trained together, and any new players will surely have to get some training in before letting them loose in the points marathon. I'm relying on keeping attitude going amongst the lads with the likes of Alf chomping at the bit to get on the pitch. Whoever we buy will have to be part of a team and will have to really graft for everything. I still think we'll win due to the attitude that Saturday against Albion must have fired up. I think any players arriving will affect the fans more than the players; they'll be too busy worrying about getting on the team sheet themselves (least I hope so) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?