Wanderers v Blackpool

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Re: Wanderers v Blackpool

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:16 pm

thebish wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Another home game with less than half the possession. Tut tut.

we did manage 24 shots though - with 14 being on target..

for all their possession, blackpool managed 16 shots in total - 10 on target...

if I had to choose - I'd choose more shots on target over more possession...
I can't really disagree with that, but I think it's a reflection of how we toiled. The important stat we have two each, so I suppose I'm thinking were we not chasing the ball so often that might well change things.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Am I allowed to be a bit disapointed after that?

Great goals, and great to still be so hard to beat, but it was a huge missed opportunity. People can look at this and the Brum game and say 'Look at the spirit to come back from 2-0 down', but that's overlooking the fact that we were 2-0 down in the first place. And it could've been more.

So yeah, stunning goals, but a match to forget.

By the way, after today there should never, ever, ever be any more debating over whether Steinsson is our best right-back.

Yes

This

This

This

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:19 pm

good attendance still got there money's worth what's our highest under coyle anybody know
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:21 pm

just read this the bit about mark davies is good

http://get.lingospot.com/arc/link/?dst_ ... %2C00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Back home after a really enjoyable and exciting game, with a barely-deserved point and a truly difficult testing by an exuberant Blackpool side, who tested us in the exact way we've tested others - they worked hard, hard, hard, closed down in midfield, broke quickly and purposefully, attacked whenever they could- and were just admirable.

I'm tempted to say they should have had the three points, but nothing can be allowed to denigrate the two magnificent goals that gave us the one. The second goal may have been the best, in certain ways, I've ever seen us score.

What a great, great month... What a strange league this season - massive competition at both ends and no such thing as mid table comfort...

A november to remember - our best Prem month?

W4E will tell us within 3600 seconds... :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Am I allowed to be a bit disapointed after that?

Great goals, and great to still be so hard to beat, but it was a huge missed opportunity. People can look at this and the Brum game and say 'Look at the spirit to come back from 2-0 down', but that's overlooking the fact that we were 2-0 down in the first place. And it could've been more.

So yeah, stunning goals, but a match to forget.

By the way, after today there should never, ever, ever be any more debating over whether Steinsson is our best right-back.
True that the most potent Blackpool threat was always down their left. I'd play Steinsson anyway, but want to say that after the crunching tackle in the first half LCY was quiet and offering not a lot defensively... Don't want to blame Ricketts entirely...

Thought Robinson had a decent game today - and we need that...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 pm

The goals here:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... l-7681663/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't realise what a good finish Petrov's was.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:56 pm

highlights.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... l-7681794/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, apparently I look like Mark Davies, along with Bilayletdinov and Nathan Hauritz. mm.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:57 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:mu
not great the last 2 or 3 games, but, before that, arguably our best player of the seasoon so far... and brings a different game than either Holden or Mavis... And variety is the spice of life... Holden and Mu asap for me, and grateful Mavis is there when needed.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:58 pm

The ref today was that tosser Mike Dean. Completely useless.

Saying that I thought he had a good game and was pretty anonymous.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Verbal wrote:highlights.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... l-7681794/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, apparently I look like Mark Davies, along with Bilayletdinov and Nathan Hauritz. mm.
I think you look more like Dylan Moran...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:58 pm

aren't you about a foot taller than Mark Davies?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Just got back from the game, what can I say. Mavies had a great game and Owen's subs were bold and he should get plaudits for that. 4-4-2 didn't work and when we went for it we had them under the cosh.

3 wins and 2 draws for November is immense and I hope we can keep this form up for another couple of months.

Bolton Wanderers: they never make it easy do they :grin:
Pfffft.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:02 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:

aren't you about a foot taller than Mark Davies?
The mascots were about a foot taller than Mark Davies.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:06 pm

We should come with a fecking health warning. Good first twenty, shocking until 75, and awesome with our one man midfield. MD's goal-brilliant, his tan-horrific, seriously shockingly bad. Confusing Lee and Davies first half, that bad! Davo's miss was woeful, though I think Rodrigo was denied a stonewall penalty after he dinked it over Kingson who flattened him. Petrov is incapable of mediocrity, everything he does is either genius or utterly abysmal. Mostly the latter today, but then a brilliant goal. I thought it was over at first, it was that top bag. So close with the frekick too. Really missed Pea Head though, Mavies played well but he doesn't show for everything like Holden does. I'd be tempted to go with both against City next week. Moo hasn't been terrible but Mavies was good today, and Holden our best player. Davo and Elmander not at their best, and Blackpool's two CBs did very well. We cannot cope with three men midfields, and it showed again today. Thought DJ Campbell did well, held it up well for a midget, brought people in, and then what missed what looked like a complete sitter. If they continue to play with that tempo and that intelligence they should be comfortably fine, far from the worst team we have played this year. Adam is a bit of a Hollywood player but surprisingly for a leftie has to good feet and a hell of a ping on him. Vaughan tidy, the cynical feck. The keeper is shocking though, spilled two or three, and they could struggle there. Well impressed with Rodrigo, replacement for Chungy when he goes away? Too many tricks, but direct and picked a few passes. Can't wait to see Mavies' goal again.

Overall, disappointing performance, but good spirit, and great comeback. Rather come from two behind than throw it away, though I reckon they'd have taken that before kick off.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:10 pm

holden and mavies would be intresting

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Neither of their goals were worthy of much of a mention: A speculative header and a cock up.
Ours, on the other hand...were just superb. The composure of our passes for the second was, as the comentator said, a brilliant team goal. Not bad for long-ball lads. Still fifth and three wins and two draws out of five. Blackpool played really well but our battling when down was terrific. No bad result at all. Davies a tad unlucky not to get a pen for the shove, United would have got that off Dean (although he had a resonable game). All in all, do for me. We came so near after being dead and buried. Well done Whites. :mrgreen:
You mean the pathetic dive to win a penalty even though he could have scored from 3 yards out. Instead he waited for contact, I don't know why.. That contact didn't come so he threw his arms out and Gerrarded it...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:18 pm

i did't want to say it but i think he dived aswell all those pens has gone to his head surely it was easier to score from 2 yards

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Terrific fightback from the lads, displayed everything that we've come to expect from the Coyle-era BWFC! Overall though, I have to say that it's a bit disappointing. We played too much long and high in the first half, especially after Blackpool's opener (which was very poorly defended at the near post). We seemed to lose our way, and then conceded the exact same goal early in the second half, and I was worried that that was it. It was only after that that we seemed to remember how to play it on the floor, and Coyle's 2nd half 4-2-4 worked a treat. Brilliant goals. But if we'd played it on the ground with as much intent the whole way through, Blackpool would have got a tonking.
The problem was that 'Pool were first to every second ball, and seemed to want it more, there was so much energy. The diagonal balls over the top caused us real problems, especially for Sam Ricketts, who, I'm sorry, has to be dropped for Steinsson next weekend. Holden back hopefully, and I'd be tempted to go 4-3-3 - Holden, Mavies and Moo in the middle, SKD as the fulcrum of an Elmo-Davies-Petrov triumvirate. Or possibly Rodrigo instead of Petrov, who played excellently when he came on, and showed some real attacking intent.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Neither of their goals were worthy of much of a mention: A speculative header and a cock up.
Ours, on the other hand...were just superb. The composure of our passes for the second was, as the comentator said, a brilliant team goal. Not bad for long-ball lads. Still fifth and three wins and two draws out of five. Blackpool played really well but our battling when down was terrific. No bad result at all. Davies a tad unlucky not to get a pen for the shove, United would have got that off Dean (although he had a resonable game). All in all, do for me. We came so near after being dead and buried. Well done Whites. :mrgreen:
You mean the pathetic dive to win a penalty even though he could have scored from 3 yards out. Instead he waited for contact, I don't know why.. That contact didn't come so he threw his arms out and Gerrarded it...
I'm not sure I agree with that. As ever, Davo with time, looked poor and uncoordinated, the fall was more an after-thought after the embarrasing miss. I don't think he was looking for the penalty as it came across, more trying to excuse his embarrasment, Elmander style, who rolls around a bit after he has fooked up.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.