WE are the one & only Wanderers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: WE are the one & only Wanderers

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Thing with Sordell I just get the impression that his head goes down and his shoulders slump and he becomes negative when things aren't going well. And that's my job. the cheeky bastard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Thing with Sordell I just get the impression that his head goes down and his shoulders slump and he becomes negative when things aren't going well. And that's my job. the cheeky bastard.
he hasn't got much excuse - he's getting starts and game time now.... he also must be very well rested - not as if he has had a tough season...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:45 pm

thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Thing with Sordell I just get the impression that his head goes down and his shoulders slump and he becomes negative when things aren't going well. And that's my job. the cheeky bastard.
he hasn't got much excuse - he's getting starts and game time now.... he also must be very well rested - not as if he has had a tough season...
He tries but his touch is poor and his play outside the box in general isn't very good.

It's fair to say that we don't provide him the type of chances he probably thrives on but neither does he really offer enough all round.

Contrast with Ngog, misses all sorts but is easily the best striker we have on the books for this league at least. Works tirelessly.

Whatever way you slice it though, £7M spent poorly!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Ngog scored one but really, if he was a proper striker, would have had three. Neither he nor Sordell were convincing.

Lee had a very good game, he and Alonso combine very well down the left. Between those two and Medo who is looking a very good find for MotM.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Say what you want about how improved Pratley is. He gone from -2 to 5 out of 20. But Kamara is immeasurably better than him.

Pratley stopped being shit, which made him almost appear good, but on Tueaday he was shite and Medo today has given Dougie an easy decision for Bristol
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Palace are on a terrible run and also catchable. Who would have though we would have been within 6 points of palace after there season start under Dougie.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Combine Dougie's points with Palace, and his points with us, and he storms the league !!
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:Combine Dougie's points with Palace, and his points with us, and he storms the league !!
Now that's what I call optimism.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Just to show how far we've come... When OC was sacked we'd won 3 drawn 2 and lost 5, then we had the run of Sammy lee and Tony Kelly which had us win 1 drawn 1 and lost 1, then Dougie took over and during his reign we've won 13 drawn 10 and lost 8. We had 15 points from a possible 39 when he took over we've gained 45 points during his time here... sitting two points from the playoffs when we through we'd be relegation favorites 3 months back
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:Just to show how far we've come... When OC was sacked we'd won 3 drawn 2 and lost 5, then we had the run of Sammy lee and Tony Kelly which had us win 1 drawn 1 and lost 1, then Dougie took over and during his reign we've won 13 drawn 10 and lost 8. We had 15 points from a possible 39 when he took over we've gained 45 points during his time here... sitting two points from the playoffs when we through we'd be relegation favorites 3 months back
You mean Jimmy Phillips.

Madrigal
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Madrigal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 am

boltonboris wrote:Say what you want about how improved Pratley is. He gone from -2 to 5 out of 20. But Kamara is immeasurably better than him.

Pratley stopped being shit, which made him almost appear good, but on Tueaday he was shite and Medo today has given Dougie an easy decision for Bristol
Medo was the difference today. MOM for me. Won the ball in the middle and had a fine range of passing. Get the rest of the team playing on his wavelength and we'll be a lot stronger.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Quality that. Really accomplished performance. Medo was outstanding. As were Knight and Alonso. Great performance. Can't wait for next week.
Give a player rating out of ten BB?
At the risk of rudely butting in I'll have a go myself...
AB 8 Faultless when called upon
SR 7 Comfortable, thought he might have got forward more but that's nitpicking
MA 8 Classy and attcking threat too
ZK/CD 8 each for being well on top of their front men
Medo 9 Fantastic touch, awareness of space, composure and distribution
Spearing 8 hard as nails
Chung 7 quiet but OK and I'm a generous mood
Eagles 8 constant thorn in their side
Ngog 6 hard working, easy goal but his composure when finishing is awful
Sordell 5 Rubbish at everything today, negative body language annoys me

C davies 6 better than sordell

Don't worry. Saves me a job.

Disagree about Sordell though. Rubbish is harsh. Thought he did ok considering we won the game so early and there was no pint going through the gears.
Ratings are fair. I'd give Ngog a 7 though, he played well.

Sordell isn't very good IMO in general.
Is there any chance you could divest yourself of your N'gog goggles any time soon? Best he's been for a good few games but still generally shit and not in control of the football.

I wouldn't particularly criticise him today, good team effort first half, but it's no disgrace to accept that he's fcuking useless.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 am

^ Yeah, I'm a bit unsure on the Ngog love in. He worked hard but was no better or worse than Sordell. What was unforgiveable was him not shooting when he was clear through at the start of the 2nd half - not what you expect from a striker.

Anyroad great stuff yesterday. Midfield were bloody brilliant and if we have any money in the summer please Dougie, can we sign Jay Spearing? Player of the season for me
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Is there any chance you could divest yourself of your N'gog goggles any time soon? Best he's been for a good few games but still generally shit and not in control of the football.

I wouldn't particularly criticise him today, good team effort first half, but it's no disgrace to accept that he's fcuking useless.
I don't think he is. He is the best we've got in terms of holding it up, bringing others into play, closing players down. In terms of his work outside the box he's the best we've got by a country mile. And I like that he can turn his man and run at defenders too.

The setup for Lee yesterday for example in the first half, was excellent took control of the ball turned and picked out a lovely inch perfect pass.

Far from useless IMO. Not good in front of goal I will accept that. Though I believe he's still scored more than any of our other 'strikers' so not sure what that says. I said yesterday he was nowhere near worth the 4M we paid for him, but I still think he's doing ok now. I like his workrate and the fact he has a little bit of pace.

Even if you take the line he's the 'best of a bad bunch' he's been a constant in the side since we went on this run, and there is a reason for that......he's better than owt else we've got.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ Yeah, I'm a bit unsure on the Ngog love in. He worked hard but was no better or worse than Sordell. What was unforgiveable was him not shooting when he was clear through at the start of the 2nd half - not what you expect from a striker.

Anyroad great stuff yesterday. Midfield were bloody brilliant and if we have any money in the summer please Dougie, can we sign Jay Spearing? Player of the season for me
Aye Spearing had a good game yesterday. Generally it was distribution from him that got us moving forwards rather than anything either of the forwards are doing.. Medo too in the first half. Think they both tired a little in the second, which is, in part, why we were under more pressure. When they tire in central mf, it just highlights for me how much they're doing compared to the two upfront. We play a little deeper and longer and it becomes very apparent how bad the front two are at holding up the ball and doing all this link up play that folk keep telling me about.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I don't think he is. He is the best we've got in terms of holding it up, bringing others into play, closing players down. In terms of his work outside the box he's the best we've got by a country mile. And I like that he can turn his man and run at defenders too.

The setup for Lee yesterday for example in the first half, was excellent took control of the ball turned and picked out a lovely inch perfect pass.

Far from useless IMO. Not good in front of goal I will accept that. Though I believe he's still scored more than any of our other 'strikers' so not sure what that says. I said yesterday he was nowhere near worth the 4M we paid for him, but I still think he's doing ok now. I like his workrate and the fact he has a little bit of pace.

Even if you take the line he's the 'best of a bad bunch' he's been a constant in the side since we went on this run, and there is a reason for that......he's better than owt else we've got.
He's probably now had as much game time as any other striker in fairness (on the pitch time, rather than "starts")

He shows some fine touches, certainly. If I weigh that agaist the number of times he loses it, because it's generally, never quite under control, you can see why when the mf tire we come under shitloads more pressure. Because he and Sordell generally don't hold it up very well.

Best of a bad bunch? Probably. But a bad bunch is still a bad bunch.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 am

Jordon Rhodes has scored 22 goals this year and Blackburn are in the bottom 3.

Quit with the player bashing guys.

Ngog scored an important goal yesterday and that's all that matters.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

He's probably now had as much game time as any other striker in fairness (on the pitch time, rather than "starts")

He shows some fine touches, certainly. If I weigh that agaist the number of times he loses it, because it's generally, never quite under control, you can see why when the mf tire we come under shitloads more pressure. Because he and Sordell generally don't hold it up very well.

Best of a bad bunch? Probably. But a bad bunch is still a bad bunch.
For me yesterday NGog was really on his own as Sordell contributed little for me.

But I still think second half we created enough, especially through Ngog. Sadly he missed the best chance. No surprise there, though he was unlucky late on not to make it three.

I'm not sure I agree that the midfield tired and that's why we slacked off a bit. I just think we did. And went into game spoiling mode as there was no way we would carry on playing like we did in the first 30 minutes.

I don't get the holding it up thing, I think more ball sticks to Ngog up front than anyone else we have by an absolute mile, I think he's great at bringing it under control and brining someone else into the game. He seems to control it from all angles to me.

Like I say I'd not be surprised if he and Sordell went in the summer as we are probably paying em both far too much for what they are.

If we kept any though, for me it would be NGog. With a half decent partner I think he'd be effective.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 am

The N'gog comparison with our other strikers is a bit like being the tallest dwarf. Next home game you txt me every time he controls and distributes it, I'll txt you everytime he loses control, runs down a blind alley, gives it to the oppo, shoots 15 miles wide. etc. :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:32 pm

DJBlu wrote:Jordon Rhodes has scored 22 goals this year and Blackburn are in the bottom 3.

Quit with the player bashing guys.

Ngog scored an important goal yesterday and that's all that matters.
I clapped 'em off yesterday when the subs occurred. Doesn't stop me thinking N'gog's a bit shit though. ;)