The Macron Stadium

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Macron Stadium

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:28 pm

T-oof!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm

ChrisC wrote:New official BWFC app now available. It will also finally help with a decent internet connection when your in the stadium!

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/new- ... 11999.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just downloaded it. Looks good. No need to fanny about with the shite website any more!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:54 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
ChrisC wrote:New official BWFC app now available. It will also finally help with a decent internet connection when your in the stadium!

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/new- ... 11999.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just downloaded it. Looks good. No need to fanny about with the shite website any more!
Has push notifications on the IOS one so hopefully score updates for people who cant make the game.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:15 am

ChrisC wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Has push notifications on the IOS one so hopefully score updates for people who cant make the game.
I have absolutely no idea what that means! :?

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 am

Means your phone will beep/buzz/do the conga when there's an update (goal etc.).

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:09 am

The stadiums probably lead lined cos its built on a swamp!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:17 am

re the wifi, I sign in to the stadium wifi, so I don't see why that cant just be beefed up to allow you peasants to get on?
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 am

Now technology isn't my strong point, but whilst I can see how concrete walls could prevent some problem, there's none of them out in the stands. Surely a few dotted there and one in each concourse can't be that expensive? I mean, I'm not offering to pay for it myself like, but really?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:02 pm

There's a big difference between 3/4 people using a standard wifi hub like at home, compared to about 15/16k people using one (or two/three). Big money involved in that.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:Now technology isn't my strong point, but whilst I can see how concrete walls could prevent some problem, there's none of them out in the stands. Surely a few dotted there and one in each concourse can't be that expensive? I mean, I'm not offering to pay for it myself like, but really?
Baaaandwidfth yoof, baaaaandwidf
Just imagine all that wifi as chocolate coated peanuts pouring out of a packet. If the packets hole isn't large enough only one or two choccy peanuts come out a a time and if some greedy bastard who's standing next to the packet keeps eating them, nobody else can get a choccy peanut themselves. The ideal solution is to have lots of packets with large openings pouring forth a multitude of peanuts such that the stadium is awash with choccy peanuts, but alas chocolate peanuts don't grow on trees...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 pm

People were specifically talking about the nature of the stadium being the problem. I understand how bandwidth could be a problem, but that isn't what folk were saying.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Ah something that's (sort of) my field of expertise! I work more in harmful radiation, but have some knowledge of wider stuff.

It's not just concrete that's an issue. Whilst thick layers of concrete will block out various radiation sources, it's more the support infrastructure that will cause an issue. If there's lots of intersecting girders and/or metal poles to support the stands, which there almost certainly is on such a large structure, it could be that the stadium walls are acting as a Faraday Cage which could be seriously interfering with electromagnetic waves (signal is typically UHF radio) causing the crappy signal that you're all reporting. For mobile signal that is your Edge/2g/3g/4g. You might also be getting destructive interference from various signal towers; think multiple sources of music and you're trying to listen to just one. Lots of issues at play, it's unfortunately not just as simple as "I'm outside therefore I must have signal".

As LLS says in his analogy, if you're having trouble with wifi connection it's going to be a combination of the concrete and support architecture interfering with signals, and also "bandwidth" being used up by lots of people accessing it all at once. Even at large facilities, such as conferences that I go to, 15k+ people accessing wireless networks all at once generally slows it down to a crawl.

We could rent out some stadium space for a signal tower, say on one of the floodlights. Get some cash in for transfers so that Dougie can sign the striker we so desperately need :P
Would a wifi router inside each concourse not solve that though. Then each concourse is a 'room' as it were. Again, a wifi router outside in the stands shouldn't have those problems?

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:Ah something that's (sort of) my field of expertise! I work more in harmful radiation, but have some knowledge of wider stuff.

It's not just concrete that's an issue. Whilst thick layers of concrete will block out various radiation sources, it's more the support infrastructure that will cause an issue. If there's lots of intersecting girders and/or metal poles to support the stands, which there almost certainly is on such a large structure, it could be that the stadium walls are acting as a Faraday Cage which could be seriously interfering with electromagnetic waves (signal is typically UHF radio) causing the crappy signal that you're all reporting. For mobile signal that is your Edge/2g/3g/4g. You might also be getting destructive interference from various signal towers; think multiple sources of music and you're trying to listen to just one. Lots of issues at play, it's unfortunately not just as simple as "I'm outside therefore I must have signal".

As LLS says in his analogy, if you're having trouble with wifi connection it's going to be a combination of the concrete and support architecture interfering with signals, and also "bandwidth" being used up by lots of people accessing it all at once. Even at large facilities, such as conferences that I go to, 15k+ people accessing wireless networks all at once generally slows it down to a crawl.

We could rent out some stadium space for a signal tower, say on one of the floodlights. Get some cash in for transfers so that Dougie can sign the striker we so desperately need :P
Would a wifi router inside each concourse not solve that though. Then each concourse is a 'room' as it were. Again, a wifi router outside in the stands shouldn't have those problems?
The Company I work for do this sort of thing and it's more complicated than that. You need about £50k's worth of access points and antennas to cover a stadium the size of ours, plus a wireless controller and software. It's a fair sized investment for not much reward (although the betting companies are keen on the idea so they can allow supporters to use 'in play' betting).

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 pm

My goodness it's like reading "The Scientist", better quality of post than we normally get !!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:43 pm

mrplow wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

The Company I work for do this sort of thing and it's more complicated than that. You need about £50k's worth of access points and antennas to cover a stadium the size of ours, plus a wireless controller and software. It's a fair sized investment for not much reward (although the betting companies are keen on the idea so they can allow supporters to use 'in play' betting).
Fine Darren Pratley a month's wages under the Trade Descriptions Act and there we go.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm

We could always just do without internet for around 90 mins or so, like we used to.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
jaffka wrote:We could always just do without internet for around 90 mins or so, like we used to.
But then how would we share our passive aggressive feelings and get our opinions validated by loose acquaintances, hashtagging our despair at the final whistle? :P
We wouldn't. I think that might be jaffka's point.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jaffka wrote:We could always just do without internet for around 90 mins or so, like we used to.
But then how would we share our passive aggressive feelings and get our opinions validated by loose acquaintances, hashtagging our despair at the final whistle? :P
Aye, it is.

Like we couldn't before.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sorry, was meant as sarcasm! I meant it as a flippant, hypothetical question poking fun at people who post streams of drivel on Facebook and Twitter! I'll try to make it a little more obvious next time, sarcasm can be lost in translation in text form.
Yeh, I know. I was merely highlighting the inherent sarcasm by being waggish. #lostwaggishness :pissed:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Could even make real time decisions for players, at the minute they must get confused when some people shout 'Get rid!' or 'Man on!' when someone else will shout 'Keep hold of it!' or 'Time!', can also decide whether a striker should shoot or pass.