No time to make crap puns - Bolton v Newcastle, 26 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Re: No time to make crap puns - Bolton v Newcastle, 26 Dec

Post by Whookam » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote:
newboy wrote:I just don't know what goes through his head he had no need to make that sub there was no tactical reason for it. there was no threat coming through the middle because Moo and Nige were bossing it. totally inept and out of his depth just go Coyle.
It didn't work but at least it was a positive move to try to win the game.
It's not the first time he's made that change and at no point has it ever improved the situation. Coyle weakened the midfield in an attempt to win the game and you're happy with that?

No I never said I was happy, but to say there was no tactical reason for it is wrong. We are in a situation where a draw is really not good enough, To put out a team with no creativity is a worse crime than try to change it.
It's a huge tactical error because Muamba and NRC were keeping them from breaking through the centre of the midfield. They were picking up runners if they got anywhere near the box. No sooner had Muamba gone off than we see they have space all through the centre. Wouldn't it have been more positive to take Mark Davies off in place of Eagles?

newboy
Promising
Promising

Post by newboy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote:
newboy wrote:I just don't know what goes through his head he had no need to make that sub there was no tactical reason for it. there was no threat coming through the middle because Moo and Nige were bossing it. totally inept and out of his depth just go Coyle.
It didn't work but at least it was a positive move to try to win the game.
It's not the first time he's made that change and at no point has it ever improved the situation. Coyle weakened the midfield in an attempt to win the game and you're happy with that?

No I never said I was happy, but to say there was no tactical reason for it is wrong. We are in a situation where a draw is really not good enough, To put out a team with no creativity is a worse crime than try to change it.
A draw against the Barcodes and a win against Wolves along with that against the Dingles would have been 7 points from 3 games and a clean sheet to boot. it's all about the long game , sometimes it's about building a platform to work from I don't think many of us would have much complaint about 7 points from 3 games so yes a draw would have been ok

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:44 pm

and I'm slowly beginning to be annoyed by Coyle.

Wake the feck up an smell the coffee............. He should have been sacked 7/8 games ago.
In the words of Quo........We're going down, deeper an' down...................

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Contrary to popular belief on here, Robinson, Petrov and Mark Davies had good games. We were in the game, and controlling the second half, until the bizarre decision to remove Muamba, who should for here on out be playing 90 minutes every game. He's crucial, we need battlers in our current plight. And after that it was the same old case of the Bolton Wanderers Special Buy-One-Get-One-Free offer.

newboy
Promising
Promising

Post by newboy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

The man is tactically naive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm

newboy wrote:The man is tactically naive.
And stupid with it........

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:07 pm

When we are sound in defence (that happens?), we can't score goals.

When we have an attack minded line-up, we leak goals.

Rinse, repeat.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Just got back.
Can't remember fashioning a chance where Krul had to do something. He saved well from a Petrov freekick, beyond that - nowt.
Should have been 1-0 down with Best missing a sitter from a corner, failing to get anything on it (or glancing it weakly).
Sub ruined it by tinkering with the spine of the team. We could have played for days and not got passed them.
We're fecked. Sturridge and Wilshere were loan signings that really spoiled us. Boyata isn't fit to lace Stephan McAnespie's boots as a right back (yes, I know), Tuncay has the gung-ho selfish mentality of the boy you hated at school because he was thought he was better than he was and therefore greedy and for Kakuta see Tuncay. As for Ngog. I don't see it. The only thing he's got that Anelka's got is a shit first touch. Not much else going for the lad.
That Swedish 'lump' we had last season made Collocini look like Paul Robinson. This season, up against our new look front line, he looked like Franco Baresi.

Is Sammy Lee still in charge?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:11 pm

In fairness to Jokers in White the UEFA C does exist, or did, and it's current equivalent is the FA Level 1 which has a 90-odd% pass rate, and teaches you to set out cones and talk in a loud voice. I genuinely don't mean that disrespectfully (though I perhaps also fail in my attempt at humourous), it is not designed to teach 'football coaching' but designed to teach how to organise and conduct mini-games, and it does that job at a very basic level. To bring it into a discussion on Premier League tactics is as relevant as bringing up a 15m Breast Stroke badge. The next one up is the FA Level 2, which is a 'football' badge, but one aimed at kids, developing coaching of technique and when and where to use those techniques. I found it useful, but barely more relevant (and only relevant because the coaches coaching you talk about general principles of the game as a whole at a very basic level) than the Level 1 in regards to 11 a-side tactics.

I'm not saying Joker in White or anybody else with either of those qualifications doesn't know what they are talking about tactically, just that the qualification is no proof, and so the cock measuring attempt is pretty futile. To judge that, you'd have to look at the quality of the posts. The lowest qualification you'd need would be a UEFA B and to my knowledge only one bloke on here has one, and he doesn't come to play any more.

Anyway, as for the game, I thought Coyle f*cked up massively tactically (to judge whether or not I know what I'm talking about you'll have to read back through my posts, a most boring proposition, though I can assure you I did watch shiiiit loads of Football Italia when I was younger). Out-thought by a guy who (allegedly) thinks its a good idea to get allegedly friendly with the alleged wives of his alleged players. Pardew made the right sub with an evenly poised, end to end but not many chances game. Took off a forward and put somebody in the whole. Our response was to open up central midfield even more. Genius. We didn't play too badly, number 4 apart, but we shot ourselves in the foot, and then, to take away the pain, he shot us in the head. Right sub IMO would have been Eagles for Klasnic, keep the Muamba-NRC solid axis and get MD-Eagles-Petrov picking up the second balls. Second half N'Gog still didn't win any headers, but he just stood behind them stopping them keep nodding it back to Krul, so there plenty of second balls.

Robinson is shot. Confidence, mentality, whatever. Awful decision making and looked shit today despite Petrov being very good again. He has been criticised, rightly so, before for being shit defensively, but he made more bloody tackles than Robinson today. I'm not sure what Boyata is, but Prem right back ain't it. If Ricketts still isn't fit, and Steinsson not recovered, next week could truly be Battle of the F*cking Awful Fullbacks.

Our manager is thick. Nice chap, but not enough between the ears. Worst bit was Newcastle fans singing 'sacked in the morning' (remember that one Alan?). He isn't.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Pru sums it up 'our manager is thick'

On that thought time to go and get hammered!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Furthermore, you've just finally won a game, trying to build momentum, you're slightly on the upper hand in a close game at home, looking good for a point and maybe a win, so you go win or bust, shuffling the pack for a worse hand and then lose all the chips (here chips are both points AND momentum. Awesome extended metaphor). 4 points then Wolves wouldn't have been THAT bad. Now we're domed again.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Not the 'game changing substitution' i had in mind.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

newboy
Promising
Promising

Post by newboy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Robinson is shot. Confidence, mentality, whatever.

But still extraordinarily adept at pointing....................

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Pru, the right sub, if there had to be one, was to get us to the team that should've started

Davies or Eagles behind one up top

CAPS - capable of putting cones out without doing a course
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:21 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Contrary to popular belief on here, Robinson, Petrov and Mark Davies had good games. We were in the game, and controlling the second half, until the bizarre decision to remove Muamba, who should for here on out be playing 90 minutes every game. He's crucial, we need battlers in our current plight. And after that it was the same old case of the Bolton Wanderers Special Buy-One-Get-One-Free offer.

Can't see anybody criticising Mark Davies or Petrov. Mark Davies is Mr No-End-Product, but he didn't have a bad game. Petrov had his second very good game in a row, going forward, and again defensively. Robinson was gash. From the first minute where he let a long ball bounce, then headed it weakly into the middle towards Knight. I've defended him, strongly before. Particularly at the start of this season where I felt he was very isolated for long periods. Not so today. Petrov did plenty to help him out, Knight came to win the headers when they targeted him aerially. Second goal summed it up. Just conceded to go one nil down, they've got men in the box and you've won the ball, have ran forward so you are now out of position (no problem, be positive, try to get that goal back) and you try a shit stupid dainty flick. I thought he was one of our better players last year but now his decision making is so bad it is unbelievable, allied to his weakness in the air and lack of pace. He lurches between wildly indecisive and recklessly over the top. A real liability at the moment.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm

To say he is thick does an injustice to thick people

absolute moron imo; i cant believe its taken this long for someone that stupid to be found out

that substitution = 20000 :doh:'s

anyone not turn to their neighbourand say 'thats us fecked'?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Pru, the right sub, if there had to be one, was to get us to the team that should've started

Davies or Eagles behind one up top

CAPS - capable of putting cones out without doing a course
That's what I was describing. I'd have gone for Klasnic off, but can see the argument for N'Gog, whatever, and I'd have made it Eagles playing just off because I thought the midfield 4 was doing well, and Eagles is more of a goal threat, but yes, that shape. It's pretty much the sub Pardew made for them. Striker off, someone to play in behind. When you haven't got points in consecutive games all season, you won your last game, and you don't look like conceding, you don't f*ck about with the spine of the side. Even if playing without a midfield for half an hour did get us a point against Blackpool last year.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:To say he is thick does an injustice to thick people

absolute moron imo; i cant believe its taken this long for someone that stupid to be found out

that substitution = 20000 :doh:'s

anyone not turn to their neighbourand say 'thats us fecked'?
proper facepalm when that sub was made.

Told my uncle we'd be done for after that. Wasn't wrong. sadly.

Eagles for klasnic would have been my move fwiw. Which isn't much.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Just back from the game.

What a feckin stupid substitution, and I say that without hindsight. As soon as Muamba came off it was evident he was taking a huge gamble to go for broke - victory or defeat. Why couldn't he leave the midfield alone and try and eek out a point? It's not a coincidence that we've failed to draw since last season - Coyle is making the same mistake over & over again.

I'll admit that watching Moo and NRC is pretty dull, but still effective. Davies was having a decent game, but he simply can't break up opposition attacks like Muamba does.

Just can't see Coyle getting us out of this mess... the frustrating thing is that the teams he puts out would be good for mid-table if they were just organised and drilled.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks