Bolton v Wolves: The biggest match of the season, again

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The result

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:13 pm

Win
24%
Draw
20%
Lose
24%
Game abandoned (due to overwhelming sh*tness)
11%
Who cares? I don't like football anymore
20%

Total votes: 45

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Bolton v Wolves: The biggest match of the season, again

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:If we weren't already hanging off a cliff with our balls tied to a daisy, yeterday's result might not seem so drastic. It's the fact that we're expecting results like that almost every game now. Truth is, there's not a single player we could buy who would do us any good unless those around him start playing well, no miracle revivals just a big re-think on why we spend so much time penned in our own last third and why other teams are doing a Bolton on us. Soft goals have cost us dearly and are the main reason we're where we are right now. Stupid defending on set pieces is no new thing with us. I can remember N'zogbia scoring for Newcastle against us three seasons ago with a free kick across the box that went straight in with nobody near it. If we insist there are any bad sides in this league, then we have to count ourselves amongst one of the worst right now..

It isn't any single player that isn't playing well, it's a team thing and right now we need to go back to the sort of attitude we had not too long ago where we were the feared ones. There were glimpsed yesterday that more effort was going in, but how many times did you see a Bolton player not watching the game and looking the other way? How many times did we loiter over a throw in then hurl it into the box only for defenders to win it almost every time? It's the "unguarded moments" that are costing us, not the overall game; think how many times we comment on it.

As for those faulting Petrov, or missing Muambas great breaks into the box, were we watching the same game?.... I have to wonder.
Spot on. I'm sure many peoples comments on this thread are just rehashed from previous weeks. Yes we weren't good enough given our current league position but the boys did try and we did play well, going to go out on a limb here and I thought Knight did particularly well (given usual standards) and M.Davies tried his hardest yet was a little keen to impress. Problem is we tired which at this stage of the season is never a good sign.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:46 pm

agree with comment Knight who defended better than i've seen him for a long time. problem yesterday was our lack of anyone in midfield who was able or prepared to pick the ball up off the back four and take charge from there. Davies had a decent game in possession but never once (and i was watching) faced Jussi or the back four to take the ball off them- same with Petrov. So we were either reliant on an increasingly longer ball up to N'Gog who was expected to hold it up and bring others in to play- he was ok at doing this in the first half but less effective as the game went on- or increasingly we pitty patted it about at the back before Jussi or a.n other launched it towards N'Gog and the disinterested Klasnic. if we are to play two essentially destructive players in midffield then we either need another one in there to create or our wide players to take much earlier possession in the build up
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:55 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:agree with comment Knight who defended better than i've seen him for a long time. problem yesterday was our lack of anyone in midfield who was able or prepared to pick the ball up off the back four and take charge from there. Davies had a decent game in possession but never once (and i was watching) faced Jussi or the back four to take the ball off them- same with Petrov. So we were either reliant on an increasingly longer ball up to N'Gog who was expected to hold it up and bring others in to play- he was ok at doing this in the first half but less effective as the game went on- or increasingly we pitty patted it about at the back before Jussi or a.n other launched it towards N'Gog and the disinterested Klasnic. if we are to play two essentially destructive players in midffield then we either need another one in there to create or our wide players to take much earlier possession in the build up
Yep - we have lost our link player (Holden) and the players always available for the out ball (Lee and Holden). Mark Davies doesn't do either job. He has a nuisance value going forward, and could be an asset in a five man midfield.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 am

Good goal by Ricketts, but unfortunate he showed numerous times that from a defensive point of view, he's no better than the idiots who played there while he was injured.

Too often he was ball watching and letting players get goal side. Happened 4 or 5 times in the first half and I wasn't surprised to see him brain fart on the goal. Shit marking and a ludicrously unnecessary tackle (foul or not) that led to it.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:Good goal by Ricketts, but unfortunate he showed numerous times that from a defensive point of view, he's no better than the idiots who played there while he was injured.

Too often he was ball watching and letting players get goal side. Happened 4 or 5 times in the first half and I wasn't surprised to see him brain fart on the goal. Shit marking and a ludicrously unnecessary tackle (foul or not) that led to it.
cos obviously after 9 months off he should be `Ashley feckin Cole as soon as he comes back!
Scores a wonder goal , unfortunate to be penalised for the goal freekick and managed to stop the usual everything down one side approach ala Robbo and wasn't booked .. Lets hope someone comes in for him in the window so we can get Robinson back ... give me strength..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

because i can't be arsed making a new thread - and it is about wolves!!

that lampard tackle today... had that been a wolves player (or a bolton player) making that tackle - straight red.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:42 pm

if it had been down to the half-time Zorb Ball results we'd be pushing for a top 6 place now
The Voice Of Reason

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 pm

thebish wrote:because i can't be arsed making a new thread - and it is about wolves!!

that lampard tackle today... had that been a wolves player (or a bolton player) making that tackle - straight red.
Also, Joey Barton's sending off (against Norwich), did anyone else think it was very similar to Klasnic's sending off (against Norwich)?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 am

Salford Trotter wrote:if it had been down to the half-time Zorb Ball results we'd be pushing for a top 6 place now
They were aamusing for 2, maybe 3 games.

By now, to be honest, if I could get a rifle into the ground they'd be just after Steve Thompson for gunning down.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
beer_swiller wrote:Despite whether it was a free kick or not, the defending and keeping was shocking to say the least.
Absolutely! Jaaskelainen was, yet again, fecking atrocious yesterday. If people are looking to lay blame then they need to lay blame where it's due.
And yet an absolutely brilliant starfish, Schmeichel-esque stop saved us a point and kept us in touch with Wolves....

shoot and score
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by shoot and score » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Sam Ricketts was amazing, first time back. They/he must have worked hard getting fit to last pretty much 90 mins first time out 1st team. Lets hope OC boosts midfield and up front. Onwards and Upwards. Thought ZK and MD were great too.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 pm

shoot and score wrote:Sam Ricketts was amazing, first time back. They/he must have worked hard getting fit to last pretty much 90 mins first time out 1st team. Lets hope OC boosts midfield and up front. Onwards and Upwards. Thought ZK and MD were great too.
He scored a good goal. That was about it. Defensively he was poor.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm

shoot and score wrote:Sam Ricketts was amazing, first time back. They/he must have worked hard getting fit to last pretty much 90 mins first time out 1st team. Lets hope OC boosts midfield and up front. Onwards and Upwards. Thought ZK and MD were great too.
Welcome, Sam :D

Was just thinking, is it likely that somebody can come back from 10 months out and play two full games in five days?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Not without being knackered and losing concentration at a key ti....... oh...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Funny, not 30 seconds before he scored did I turn to my dad and say he was looking a bit off the pace. Wholly agreed with Boris on this one - the goal was a belter, but he still made errors, notably for the goal and also a slip high up the pitch which left us short and gave them a decent chance again.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:35 pm

to imagine that we are going to be able to afford/attract players that don't make errors is foolishness!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Ricketts isn't a left back, and it was his first match back. I'll give him some leeway I think.

Agreed with Jussi on the goal, and I'm still in the Al Habsi is better camp...but I get the sale. Shame Bogdan cocked up his opportunity, cos Jussi might be a bit more on his toes/off his line, with some competition.

I think the think that feck* me off the most is us when you compare to other recent results,
Fulham winning last night, Blacklburns last two outings, Wigan taking points from Chelsea and Liverpool, Swansea and Norwich taking points from bigger teams...we are the only ones who dont do it - we just pull our pants down and bend over. Its embarrassing. We might take points of those near to us for the rest of the season, though a single one of wolves isn't good enough, but we dont even compete against 10 or so teams now...thats why we will deservedly go down.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Ricketts isn't a left back, and it was his first match back. I'll give him some leeway I think.

Agreed with Jussi on the goal, and I'm still in the Al Habsi is better camp...but I get the sale. Shame Bogdan cocked up his opportunity, cos Jussi might be a bit more on his toes/off his line, with some competition.

I think the think that feck me off the most is us when you compare to other recent results,
Fulham winning last night, Blacklburns last two outings, Wigan taking points from Chelsea and Liverpool, Swansea and Norwich taking points from bigger teams...we are the only ones who dont do it - we just pull our pants down and bend over. Its embarrassing. We might take points of those near to us for the rest of the season, though a single one of wolves isn't good enough, but we dont even compete against 10 or so teams now...thats why we will deservedly go down.
we played the top four or five when they had everybody fit.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 am

norm the jedi wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Good goal by Ricketts, but unfortunate he showed numerous times that from a defensive point of view, he's no better than the idiots who played there while he was injured.

cos obviously after 9 months off he should be `Ashley feckin Cole as soon as he comes back!
Scores a wonder goal , unfortunate to be penalised for the goal freekick and managed to stop the usual everything down one side approach ala Robbo and wasn't booked .. Lets hope someone comes in for him in the window so we can get Robinson back ... give me strength..
So not marking people on set pieces and failing to get goalside in open play time after time is okay, along as you've been injured? If he's not fit, he shouldn't fvckin play.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 am

thebish wrote:to imagine that we are going to be able to afford/attract players that don't make errors is foolishness!
I can forgive a lack of ability, of course. But when it comes down to concentration and school-boy errors? Working on the training ground can eradicate some of those things.. Working harder than your rivals should be your main focus when you don't have the ability of others.