Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 pm
Enough money for two CMG type deals (and the additional wage), plus a bit extra and a future fee? That'd do.

If he stays, great.

Yeah, barring him staying and picking up an ACL injury in the next couple of weeks, I don't think we can really lose in this situation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:02 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 pm
Enough money for two CMG type deals (and the additional wage), plus a bit extra and a future fee? That'd do.

If he stays, great.
Depends how the deal is structured. ‘Up to £1M’ can mean a lot of things.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:00 am

There's always the possibility of Thomason achieving even greater status and increasing his value. We don't want to be seen as bargain basement or desperate to sell. Let the bidders pay his value if they want him. I've never been a fan of selling for selling sake. We have a long hard struggle to achieve promotion and money won't buy it. Only rumours make us any different than we were a couple of weeks ago. Chase the cheap-jacks off.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:37 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:00 am
There's always the possibility of Thomason achieving even greater status and increasing his value. We don't want to be seen as bargain basement or desperate to sell. Let the bidders pay his value if they want him. I've never been a fan of selling for selling sake. We have a long hard struggle to achieve promotion and money won't buy it. Only rumours make us any different than we were a couple of weeks ago. Chase the cheap-jacks off.
Was have a chat yesterday at the game and the point was made that it’s hard to envisage Thomason significantly raising his value here in league one. To do that he’d really need to establish himself as a championship player and that isn’t happening with us this season.

Age wise he’s 22 so arguably peak market value now age wise. I think he’s good enough to play regularly for us but if Evatt is using a squad and rotating players then he’s probably not likely to play week in week out either.

I think that the question is purely what we are getting up front, how much Evatt would get of that and what he thinks he can do with it.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:47 am

It sounds like it might be a good deal for all parties.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:48 am

If there's a chance of shifting Sads and John then I'd be concentrating on those two deals first. Then I'd be looking at the Thommo situation next.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:56 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:48 am
If there's a chance of shifting Sads and John then I'd be concentrating on those two deals first. Then I'd be looking at the Thommo situation next.

In an ideal world, perhaps, but there are a number of moving parts in any transfer and no club really has a great deal of control over when things happen.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:11 am

Plus there is no chance Thomason will extend a deal unless there’s a release clause and he starts playing more football - we get peak price this window.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:56 am

There has to have a significant benefit to the club in selling, or why bother? Unless G.T actually wants to leave, it's all about the club. With us he stands to gain promotion to Championship level. Can he guarantee to do that with any of our competitors? This has all the earmarks of "I wish I hadn't left Bolton" in the crystal ball, or should that be Tarot cards, with F standing for Finance rather than football.

Just a view. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:56 am
There has to have a significant benefit to the club in selling, or why bother? Unless G.T actually wants to leave, it's all about the club. With us he stands to gain promotion to Championship level. Can he guarantee to do that with any of our competitors? This has all the earmarks of "I wish I hadn't left Bolton" in the crystal ball, or should that be Tarot cards, with F standing for Finance rather than football.

Just a view. ae:)
The benefit would be considerable money for a player who is still a squad option rather than a first teamer - money to invest in the squad for Evatt.

As for Thomason - he would move to a championship club no doubt get a big pay rise and guaranteed chance at the level above.

I doubt he’s desperate to move but not many would turn that down if we are honest.

I think the difference now between past sales is Evatt can make a footballing decision. I’m sure if he says ‘nah be a bad move to sell GT’ the board will back that. Whereas historically the manager had no choice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:29 pm

I'm sure that's part of what the parties will consider, TD. George will likely considering whether this is a good chance for him to progress his career, Evatt and the Board will likely be wondering if the fee will help the Club progress either on or off the field. T'was ever thus (maybe not "ever," but for a long time... :-)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:37 pm

Will GT see it as career progression ?

He's not a 1st team regular here, but he still gets plenty of game time - will he get game time at Bristol City in the championship ?, if he doesn't he'll go backwards, for me I think the club are probably comfortable with the fee (maybe £750k up front with add on's for the other £250k), the question is will Thomason want to leave & move down to Bristol if he's potentially not getting game time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:46 pm

George would surely get a large increase on his current salary plus a signing on fee that'd set him up for life. Not bad for a boy from Longridge.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:46 pm
George would surely get a large increase on his current salary plus a signing on fee that'd set him up for life. Not bad for a boy from Longridge.
If that's the case & the money is too good to turn down for GT, then it'll probably happen.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:55 pm

Yeah they're established in the champ and cash rich, he's going to be in line for a big pay bump, and fair enough.

And as for us, depends on the structure to an extent but it it's anywhere near £1m (one million pounds, seven figures, three Dions, two Dapos) for a lad I'm not sure has 10 starts above league two...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:19 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:55 pm
Yeah they're established in the champ and cash rich, he's going to be in line for a big pay bump, and fair enough.

And as for us, depends on the structure to an extent but it it's anywhere near £1m (one million pounds, seven figures, three Dions, two Dapos) for a lad I'm not sure has 10 starts above league two...
All depends what it buys you in THIS market. Because it sounds a lot but equally - GT won't be on huge wages. A player we bring in for a fee likely will be on more. So you can easily eat £1M on a player not as good as George. I'm of the view that like anything if they've hit our valuation it comes down to the club having a conversation with him and going from there.

A lot of people say things like 'sell him and get Moxon' but for me Moxon is a Morley replacement not a GT one - he doesn't do the off ball work that GT offers and we need a holding mid replacement who does. But even that aside I bet you can't sign Moxon in total for the money you let GT go for plus the wage differential. And even if you just about could it would leave no shortfall for elsewhere and leave us less balanced in terms of midfield types...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:42 am

I'm not convinced we're paying anyone 5 figures a week, so while wages are important, £1m is a *lot* of them. The fee for Moxon is probably too big, but GT is arguably our 6th choice central midfielder. And that money might bring in RWBs who are currently out of range.

I don't think we were done even if George had stayed, think there was still some money there. Add in (say it's 750k "up front") and that allows you to replace George and get that top quality RWB and it's a no brainer for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:42 am
I'm not convinced we're paying anyone 5 figures a week, so while wages are important, £1m is a *lot* of them. The fee for Moxon is probably too big, but GT is arguably our 6th choice central midfielder. And that money might bring in RWBs who are currently out of range.

I don't think we were done even if George had stayed, think there was still some money there. Add in (say it's 750k "up front") and that allows you to replace George and get that top quality RWB and it's a no brainer for me.
A £3K differential in weekly wage across a 3 year contract is nearly half a million.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am

Prufrock wrote:

In theory this is a good plan, but in reality, how many RWBs are out there who are better than JDC, and would be available to us even if we could pay up to £750k?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:52 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am
Prufrock wrote:

In theory this is a good plan, but in reality, how many RWBs are out there who are better than JDC, and would be available to us even if we could pay up to £750k?
We need someone different to JDC at the very least. He's not going to beat many folks and that leaves us a bit one dimensional at times.