The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by Jugs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 am

Sordell scores three goals in two pre-season games and people are selling sell him? Deary me.

AbrahM
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AbrahM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

I don't really see Spearing as a priority, Medo IMO is a better player and if Eagles is playing off the striker most games we only need 1 other CM, With Pratley, Holden, Andrews, Vela and Mavies (when fit) do we need to be spending money on Spearing.I wonder if a loan is still possible it would suit Bolton and Spearing more than a move permenent.

I think Dawson should be the main target, we were such a different side with him in last year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:He tweeted the other day "I have absolutely zero luck" with a sad face thing. So if there's an injury, we should assume its him. I'd have assumed it was him before seeing that tweet in fairness.
shrewsbury seem to think that before the injury, they were lined up for loaning Riley - so it doesn't look like he figured in our immediate plans anyway...
...an injury which Graham Turner is describing as ligament damage. Poor Joe.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:He tweeted the other day "I have absolutely zero luck" with a sad face thing. So if there's an injury, we should assume its him. I'd have assumed it was him before seeing that tweet in fairness.
shrewsbury seem to think that before the injury, they were lined up for loaning Riley - so it doesn't look like he figured in our immediate plans anyway...
...an injury which Graham Turner is describing as ligament damage. Poor Joe.
I know we're saving money these days, but when did we make Graham Taylor our spokesman ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Jugs wrote:Sordell scores three goals in two pre-season games and people are selling sell him? Deary me.
I know it was only Dan but I was shocked at that.

If we're hoping Dougie can get the best out of Beckford where Leicester failed, then surely we should hang onto a guy who cost us what he did, and with a record he had before he joined?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Jugs wrote:Sordell scores three goals in two pre-season games and people are selling sell him? Deary me.

If we're hoping Dougie can get the best out of Beckford where Leicester failed, then surely we should hang onto a guy who cost us what he did, and with a record he had before he joined?
Tom Eaves scored a hat-trick in a pre-season friendly the season we bought him - against us. Don't necessarily think that put him in the must buy at all costs bracket. Similar with Sordell, pre-season friendlies one thing, season proper, completely another.

At the minute, we have Cravies, Beckford, N'gog, Eaves, Sordell and Odelusi. Of those, Freedman has picked Cravies and Beckford, so you start to wonder if he's going to look to cash in on either Sordell or N'gog (as the other two may not attract much cash)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Absolutely. Bolton fans frighten me sometimes with their opinions on our strikers. I remember reading on here several years ago when we had Anelka that we should sell him and replace him with David Healy because Healy is more of a team-player.

I've no idea whether Sordell will take his pre-season form into the league but to cry 'sell him' after he scores a few goals is a bit extreme.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Jugs wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Absolutely. Bolton fans frighten me sometimes with their opinions on our strikers. I remember reading on here several years ago when we had Anelka that we should sell him and replace him with David Healy because Healy is more of a team-player.

I've no idea whether Sordell will take his pre-season form into the league but to cry 'sell him' after he scores a few goals is a bit extreme.
If we could sell Sordell and use the money to buy Dawson I don't think anyone would think twice.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm

I think being made to feel important and being cuggled a lot is the key to Sordell doing well .... oh, & being about 180m further South.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Surely a couple of hundred metres is achievable?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Surely a couple of hundred metres is achievable?
Well argued, but I still deal in Imperial. They were miles.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:11 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I think being made to feel important and being cuggled a lot is the key to Sordell doing well .... oh, & being about 180m further South.
Bloody HR. Get him on a non-performance report with a must do better. What's the world coming to?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

you young things and your persistent metricness!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
It's now Commonwealthial

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
It's now Commonwealthial
Only to you lightweights.

I'm only just past leagues, rods, poles and perches.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

If we could sell Sordell and use the money to buy Dawson I don't think anyone would think twice.
Sounds like a typical Bolton fans' reaction. Sell the guy who's scoring a few goals.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Swapping Dawson fro Sordell is not even nearly the same as swapping Anelka for Healy! I like Sordell, but I'd rip your hand off for Dawson instead.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Sounds like a typical Bolton fans' reaction. Sell the guy who's scoring a few goals.
It's about prioritising though, we have an abundance of strikers. If Sordell is the best of them then great. But I highly doubt he is. A second choice striker is less critical than a proper centre half for us right now.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm

West Ham had an abundance of strikers two years ago and they went up because they had strength-in-depth. When someone wasn't scoring, someone else came in.

I agree we need defensive cover. If we have to shift a striker, I'd sooner let someone like Ngog go who has mostly looked hopeless in front of goal his entire career.

At least Sordell has shown, to me at least, that he has a finish in him. He looks more of a natural striker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Jugs wrote:West Ham had an abundance of strikers two years ago and they went up because they had strength-in-depth. When someone wasn't scoring, someone else came in.

I agree we need defensive cover. If we have to shift a striker, I'd sooner let someone like Ngog go who has mostly looked hopeless in front of goal his entire career.

At least Sordell has shown, to me at least, that he has a finish in him. He looks more of a natural striker.
We need more than defensive cover. We need defensive quality.

Ngog is currently leagues ahead of Sordell. And they aren't that far apart in age. Sordell may have progressed. We shall see when the season starts. But there is a lot to add to his game before he will be a regular for us IMO.