Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:54 am

My gut feeling is Thomason won't leave anyway.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:47 am
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:42 am
I'm not convinced we're paying anyone 5 figures a week, so while wages are important, £1m is a *lot* of them. The fee for Moxon is probably too big, but GT is arguably our 6th choice central midfielder. And that money might bring in RWBs who are currently out of range.

I don't think we were done even if George had stayed, think there was still some money there. Add in (say it's 750k "up front") and that allows you to replace George and get that top quality RWB and it's a no brainer for me.
A £3K differential in weekly wage across a 3 year contract is nearly half a million.
I mean sure, and wages are important, but it's a small amount in the wider scheme of things whereas £1m is a huge amount for us at this level. As we improve the wage bill is going to creep up.

My wider point is that £1m for any of our players is a ok we'll need to have a think. I think it wouldn't be enough for some, but arguably 6th choice central midfielder who's never really nailed down a first team spot. Obviously you try to maximise the money but it's a no brainer for me, and is a big sum.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am
Prufrock wrote:
I'm not convinced we're paying anyone 5 figures a week, so while wages are important, £1m is a *lot* of them. The fee for Moxon is probably too big, but GT is arguably our 6th choice central midfielder. And that money might bring in RWBs who are currently out of range.

I don't think we were done even if George had stayed, think there was still some money there. Add in (say it's 750k "up front") and that allows you to replace George and get that top quality RWB and it's a no brainer for me.
In theory this is a good plan, but in reality, how many RWBs are out there who are better than JDC, and would be available to us even if we could pay up to £750k?
I like JDC but he's 27 and played most of his football in L2. His back up can't do the job. I'm not a scout and haven't heard of half the players we end up signing but I'd be astonished if that kind of money didn't allow us to go and get a very good player for that role.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:11 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:47 am
Prufrock wrote:

A £3K differential in weekly wage across a 3 year contract is nearly half a million.
I mean sure, and wages are important, but it's a small amount in the wider scheme of things whereas £1m is a huge amount for us at this level. As we improve the wage bill is going to creep up.

My wider point is that £1m for any of our players is a ok we'll need to have a think. I think it wouldn't be enough for some, but arguably 6th choice central midfielder who's never really nailed down a first team spot. Obviously you try to maximise the money but it's a no brainer for me, and is a big sum.
I think there are two different questions here.

Is £1M (assuming mainly up front) a good deal for us? Yes.

That is not the same as saying necessarily that would be enough to improve us - as much of it could simply be eaten signing a replacement.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:16 am

Aye sure, but let's say £3pk extra on wages and a £250k fee is what it gets you. I'm sorry but you have to back to the scouting department to get better than George for that! Even as a like for like (which I doubt). What they're much likely to do is take a bit of a gamble on a midfielder (who again, is potentially sixth choice) and use that money where we can be improved, particularly at RWB. And as I say, my suspicion is there was money there for another mid/CB (the MJ replacement) and a RWB anyway. This money likely let's you go up the list for who you want there, which has to be more important to us than a lad who was likely going to start <10 league games this year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:16 am
Aye sure, but let's say £3pk extra on wages and a £250k fee is what it gets you. I'm sorry but you have to back to the scouting department to get better than George for that! Even as a like for like (which I doubt). What they're much likely to do is take a bit of a gamble on a midfielder (who again, is potentially sixth choice) and use that money where we can be improved, particularly at RWB. And as I say, my suspicion is there was money there for another mid/CB (the MJ replacement) and a RWB anyway. This money likely let's you go up the list for who you want there, which has to be more important to us than a lad who was likely going to start <10 league games this year.
I think the issue is that Evatt doesn't see GT as '6th' choice. Indeed he sees each position as having multiple options with different skillsets (since mainly we can't afford all skillsets in one player) to choose from dependent upon the game. So if you see GT as the more 'dynamic game break up and possession winner' out of him and Sheehan then when those games requiring that comes along he becomes first choice.

This is Evatt's philosophy that he needs tools within the squad to win each game and that isn't the same players each week. As outlined in that coaching podcast he did over the summer.

The point I'd make is that if selling Thomason (for what undoubtedly looks a good fee) means you commit more wages to a less valuable player to perform that role and function then it might not necessarily take us forward. But I agree the fee is as it stands and is reported one we'd have to accept.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:36 am

I think that's right, but some of those players are "first choice this is what we want to do", and that seems to Sheehan Morley and Dempsey at the moment, albeit Maghoma and CMG are new. And others to come in to cover for specific games. So far GT hasn't got in for a home have we expect to have all the ball (fine) or away where we didn't.

He certainly would add more physically than, say Sheehan, but Maghoma would do that too.

I think the money is good enough that you can replace him AND get the RWB, but even if you had to downgrade slightly on GT, that's just obviously outweighed by being able to get the RWB you want who'll play most games.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:48 am

We need another RWB, probably a dribblier one. We need that partly for alternatives but also for cover. I'm worried that JDC has played 270+ minutes and Randell hasn't been subbed in either league game.

At some point, albeit not yet, I think I would settle for "as good as JDC" rather than "better than". But better is clearly better. :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:56 am

We could do a lot with an additional Million quid that wasn't in the budget. It seems a no brainer for me to let him go
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:17 pm

Should GT move on, that will leave just Ricardo Santos and Gethin Jones as the remaining squad members from Evatt's debut season with us (not counting Dec, who joined on loan in January 2021, and presumably will be carting it down the M61 soon enough anyway).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_B ... .C._season
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:56 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:17 pm
Should GT move on, that will leave just Ricardo Santos and Gethin Jones as the remaining squad members from Evatt's debut season with us (not counting Dec, who joined on loan in January 2021, and presumably will be carting it down the M61 soon enough anyway).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_B ... .C._season
I see Dennis Politic is back in Romania. At Dinamo Bucharest, a famous old name, although they haven't been champions since 2007 and only last year came back up from a brief dip in the second division.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:07 pm

Baccus on non-transfer:
I always want to do my best to progress and get towards that dream of mine to one day play in the English Premier League. There was a chance there to perhaps take another step in that direction with Bolton, but it wasn’t meant to be in the end and it didn’t work out.

There was a bit of personal reasons why it didn’t happen and I also spoke to my club here and it felt like there was a bit of unfinished business. The move didn’t really go too smoothly and I’ve learned from situations in the past that when things go smoothly that’s where you’re meant to be and vice versa.

Nothing against Bolton at all, but when a team really wants you they’ll do most things to make it happen. I was upset for a week but I’m over that now and I’m grateful to be at St Mirren and for the way the club have treated me.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:22 pm

New Twitter/dodgy transfer website rumour is Stoke and Watford interested in Charles. Probably bollocks anyway, but if it were true, I'd say we'd need £3m+ to consider letting Dion move, given how integral he is to our promotion hopes.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:50 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:22 pm
New Twitter/dodgy transfer website rumour is Stoke and Watford interested in Charles. Probably bollocks anyway, but if it were true, I'd say we'd need £3m+ to consider letting Dion move, given how integral he is to our promotion hopes.
Yep. For a club of our size and no immediate need to sell, our top asset cannot go for any less than that

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:04 pm

I hope GT stays. He has improved every season, looks stronger this season and is a leader when he is on the field. Best player during our pre-season and is our only midfielder who has accurate long range passing vision with a work rate better than most. I struggle to see which other of our midfield assets would command a million pounds at this moment.

As far as I am concerned, just like what Ghost pointed out for Ade, he was always a good player before now. GT is a good player and getting better, and if he leaves and reach the premiership in a couple years, lets not say "he never showed it on the field for us". He is young and will get better. I see an excellent player in the future. Lets not be so quick to send him off. He has a lot more to offer us in our promotion bid.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:16 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:04 pm
I hope GT stays. He has improved every season, looks stronger this season and is a leader when he is on the field. Best player during our pre-season and is our only midfielder who has accurate long range passing vision with a work rate better than most. I struggle to see which other of our midfield assets would command a million pounds at this moment.

As far as I am concerned, just like what Ghost pointed out for Ade, he was always a good player before now. GT is a good player and getting better, and if he leaves and reach the premiership in a couple years, lets not say "he never showed it on the field for us". He is young and will get better. I see an excellent player in the future. Lets not be so quick to send him off. He has a lot more to offer us in our promotion bid.
We need to be realistic as a club and sell our assets for the highest amount possible whenever we have the opportunity

We have Morley who is a similar age and a superior footballer. Dempsey only a few years older and is amongst the best in the division and a supreme athlete.

We all like him, but he's not going to start league 15 games this season and there is a club sniffing around him for a 7 figure fee.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:17 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:

Trotter Chatter Podcast (me either) on Twitter, claim that Thomason does indeed want to stay at Bolton. Again, completely unsubstantiated, but it would be a ballsy shout from the kid if true.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:16 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:

We need to be realistic as a club and sell our assets for the highest amount possible whenever we have the opportunity

We have Morley who is a similar age and a superior footballer. Dempsey only a few years older and is amongst the best in the division and a supreme athlete.

We all like him, but he's not going to start league 15 games this season and there is a club sniffing around him for a 7 figure fee.
Based on what I've seen start of this season - I'm not so sure.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Course you're not

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm
Course you're not
The play against Lincoln to set Dempsey away was special. He's looking very good to me. End of the day there is a reason a championship club is bidding seven figures for him....