Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:38 pm

So a season and a half of Morley is discounted for that?

I fear we're going into this typical fan thing where if you say he's not as good as someone else, you're "writing him off" or saying "he's shite", but he is not as good at football as Morley is at this very moment in time. I don't think that's actually debatable

Pearson will most likely fancy him for his physique and his sterling attitude
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:38 pm
So a season and a half of Morley is discounted for that?

I fear we're going into this typical fan thing where if you say he's not as good as someone else, you're "writing him off" or saying "he's shite", but he is not as good at football as Morley is at this very moment in time. I don't think that's actually debatable

Pearson will most likely fancy him for his physique and his sterling attitude
It isn't a case of discounting anything. A championship club has bid a substantial amount for him so possibly he's better than we are accounting for is my point.

And ability wise - my view is that Thomason could play at a higher level than Morley - both are limited by a lack of pace but Morley for me will struggle in the championship more than Thomason because of his lack of mobility.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:51 pm

Iles has just done a breaking story that GT is staying.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... stol-city/

Evatt:
He will be staying with us. We have had lots of conversations over the weekend and George has never once expressed a desire to leave this club. He loves being here, we love him here. He is a young player with a huge amount of talent with a huge amount of progression left in him too, so after many heart-to-heart chats with him over the weekend I can say he has no desire to leave.

It was a big decision – and every player has a valuation at this club, so when it is met then it becomes the player’s decision. That doesn’t mean to say we wanted him to leave but we are a business and player trading will have to play a part in it.

I have to say, George from minute one expressed a desire to stay and be a part of what we are doing here. And I have to say it is very refreshing to see a young man with the ethics and morals he has. We have shown him a lot of faith, trust and loyalty and he wanted to repay that. It is great credit to him, and I am delighted he is staying.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:51 pm

Yeah it was looking that way this morning - had all the vibes that he wasn't going to go.

FWIW I think its the bang on decision for him. Could easily go there and get lost - here that won't happen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:53 pm

Back to borrowing a teenage wingback then :-D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:53 pm
Back to borrowing a teenage wingback then :-D
Aye - until someone bids big money for Dion.....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:01 pm

Evatt has tagged him as a future captain for us in the past. Done himself no harm with this.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:01 pm
Evatt has tagged him as a future captain for us in the past. Done himself no harm with this.
I see that. I genuinely can see that happening. Seems like a mature lad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:11 pm

I've been saying for a couple of years that the only limit for Thomason will be his feet.

The brain is there and he's getting there physically. His attitude is sterling. Now it's all about consistency of technique.

I would love to see him make the most of himself. What a journey he'll have had if he does.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:17 pm

Well that's good news. Always good to see players want to be with us. In the same division, we're a bigger club than Bristol City
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:36 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:51 pm

Evatt:
He will be staying with us. We have had lots of conversations over the weekend and George has never once expressed a desire to leave this club. He loves being here, we love him here. He is a young player with a huge amount of talent with a huge amount of progression left in him too, so after many heart-to-heart chats with him over the weekend I can say he has no desire to leave.

It was a big decision – and every player has a valuation at this club, so when it is met then it becomes the player’s decision. That doesn’t mean to say we wanted him to leave but we are a business and player trading will have to play a part in it.

I have to say, George from minute one expressed a desire to stay and be a part of what we are doing here. And I have to say it is very refreshing to see a young man with the ethics and morals he has. We have shown him a lot of faith, trust and loyalty and he wanted to repay that. It is great credit to him, and I am delighted he is staying.
Good news this!

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:09 pm

Excellent news. One of my favourite bwfc players, exceptional attitude and application and bags of potential. Really hope he breaks through to be first choice this season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:13 pm

Well, I'd spent the money already but great attitude and happy he's staying. Hopefully he can kick on now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 pm

I wonder why the club made the bid for Thomason public ? they normally don't comment on transfers until they are done. Perhaps they wanted the lad to go so that they could reinvest the fee & have now had to backtrack a little to cover themselves.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:37 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 pm
I wonder why the club made the bid for Thomason public ? they normally don't comment on transfers until they are done. Perhaps they wanted the lad to go so that they could reinvest the fee & have now had to backtrack a little to cover themselves.
Bristol end reported it. These things get out there.

Evatt is clearly glad he’s staying.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:14 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

I thought that myself. In fact, I think the way the club have handled it is really quite strange.

I suspect that despite Evatt's claims to the contrary today, they probably expected Thomason would choose to leave.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:15 pm

Perhaps even hoped?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:32 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:14 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

I thought that myself. In fact, I think the way the club have handled it is really quite strange.

I suspect that despite Evatt's claims to the contrary today, they probably expected Thomason would choose to leave.
The fact you read too much into what was said Saturday is not their fault.

Evatt gave an accurate portrayal of events. Bid late Friday. Reported Saturday morning by Bristol reporters.

Met club valuation. Player informed. But can’t be expected to decide pre game. However the fact he came on was the biggest hint. Nobody expected him to go. But you have to give the offer.

He decided not to go.

The big clue was ‘decided in next 48 hours’. No transfer could have been done in that time given the need for contract negotiations, medicals etc. Evatt didn’t expect him to leave and that was pretty obvious Saturday.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:32 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Evatt gave an accurate portrayal of events. Bid late Friday. Reported Saturday morning by Bristol reporters.

Met club valuation. Player informed. But can’t be expected to decide pre game. However the fact he came on was the biggest hint. Nobody expected him to go. But you have to give the offer.

He decided not to go.

The big clue was ‘decided in next 48 hours’. No transfer could have been done in that time given the need for contract negotiations, medicals etc. Evatt didn’t expect him to leave and that was pretty obvious Saturday.

And it's me reading too much into it, is it?

I'm not sure anyone thought or claimed the transfer would be concluded over the weekend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:08 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:32 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

He decided not to go.

And it's me reading too much into it, is it?

I'm not sure anyone thought or claimed the transfer would be concluded over the weekend.
Here you go here is what Evatt has said

“We put forward a case to George on why we felt he should stay. He is invested in the project, the fanbase, and he wants to be a part of it moving forwards, which is a great sign of the direction the club is heading in and the progress it has made.”
No conspiracy.