Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:He's right. Players like Spearing, Baptiste, Beckford, Tierney all on Premier league wages. The resigning of Premier League failures like Ream and Wheater. Players like Bolger who were never even close to the first team. The list goes on. And no noticeable upturn in results.
Why did you back a manager who demonstrably wasted more than ten times the amount the current one has? About time you actually explained that one.
Why would I need to? Dougie (our current manager for nearly 2 years now) has made a comment on money has been wasted. I thought that we'd entered into the brave new world where our present manager had enough backbone to admit his own mistakes. Perhaps I was wrong on that?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:01 pm

It's only my opinion. It doesn't carry weight or anything. I think N'Gotty/Laville and Stubbs were better defenders
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:05 pm

N'Gotty was definitely better for us, be he also played in better teams. Stubbs is an interesting one. Plenty of parallels (being young rather than experienced etc) and it could be argued that there was more competition at centre half in Stubber's day. Laville didn't play enough games to really warrant fair comparison.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:N'Gotty was definitely better for us, be he also played in better teams. Stubbs is an interesting one. Plenty of parallels (being young rather than experienced etc) and it could be argued that there was more competition at centre half in Stubber's day. Laville didn't play enough games to really warrant fair comparison.
Appreciate the comments, LK
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:19 pm

N'Gotty was stunningly good..sort of missed in the flair of Campo, JJ, Djorkaev etc. but outstanding.

Bergsson was imperious. Such class. Time on the ball. Amazing.

Cahill was/is very very good. He did combine better with some than others and he was too quiet to be captain material but still very good indeed.

Stubbs was good but he played with us in Div 2 largely. He went on to prove his ability but not as good as any of the three above. Paul Jones probably the same.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:24 pm

TKIZ! wrote:It's only my opinion. It doesn't carry weight or anything. I think N'Gotty/Laville and Stubbs were better defenders
Stubbs a better defender than Cahill? Not in a million years. Stubbs not even in the same league. Seen milk turn faster.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:25 pm

TKIZ! wrote:It's only my opinion. It doesn't carry weight or anything. I think N'Gotty/Laville and Stubbs were better defenders
Agreeing, and also with LK. Bruno was very good, Stubbs was good, but Everton and that blatant shove on two of our defenders for the free kick that went in, put me right off him (yes, a bit unfair when comparing talent). Laville had all the making of greatness but....well, you know the rest. Meite and Faye also did a job for us for a spell. Cahill, well, time marches on and he's current.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Forgot Faye. On his day an absolute beast, one of the first names on the team sheet. I think its fair to suppose that had Allardyce remained interested and stayed, Faye would probably have become a real club legend for us. Rather lost his way with the upheaval at Newcastle.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Forgot Faye. On his day an absolute beast, one of the first names on the team sheet. I think its fair to suppose that had Allardyce remained interested and stayed, Faye would probably have become a real club legend for us. Rather lost his way with the upheaval at Newcastle.
To my shame I forgot Faye, though I think of him more as a central midfield enforcer.

One match at home v Arsenal he put in the finest midfield performance I ever remember seeing. He out Vierra'd Vierra. ... & absolutely his career went off the rails when he moved out. I always held out a small hope he'd return.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Ah ... NOW I se Dougie's game plan ...

(direct quotes via the BEN btw)

“Cash is king. In our position we need to be shrewd and wait for .... At that point it’ll be the right price and the right time for us. I could go out and sign three players tomorrow morning but that has never been my style. I don’t do short-term solutions. I am patient. I was patient with Craig Dawson, I was patient with Lukas Jutkiewicz and I’m being patient with Joe Mason – I think that’s the way to be.”

Be patient, and take your time, like we did with Dawson and the Juke.

Winning formula.

Yes, I know we're boracic. I know we can't splash the cash but those are two very strange examples to chose.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Davies does seem an incredibly strange comparison to make. What about signing a player, then sending him out on loan a year later and bringing in others on loan in his stead, exemplifies the virtue of patience?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Davies does seem an incredibly strange comparison to make. What about signing a player, then sending him out on loan a year later and bringing in others on loan in his stead, exemplifies the virtue of patience?
Possibly stubbornness?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Ah ... NOW I se Dougie's game plan ...

“Cash is king. In our position we need to be shrewd and wait for .... At that point it’ll be the right price and the right time for us. I could go out and sign three players tomorrow morning but that has never been my style. I don’t do short-term solutions. I am patient. I was patient with Craig Dawson, I was patient with Lukas Jutkiewicz and I’m being patient with Joe Mason – I think that’s the way to be.”

Winning formula.

Yes, I know we're boracic. I know we can't splash the cash but those are two very strange examples to chose.
So we wait until January down in 18th place then make a late dash for 14th. Great.

Might just ask if I can trade my ST for two half ST's, this season and next, from January.

I'll stump up the difference for next season.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Have we got money or haven't we? I keep losing track. If we could sign three players tomorrow morning we can't be that hard up.

Also, we definitely did use to insert sell on clauses in our youngsters contracts, because we made money off the likes of David Norris when he went to Ipswich. Other than Chris Basham (who we got good money for), I can't remember us selling any of our kids in recent years, they usually just get released and fade away. I do however note that James Sinclair is having an interesting career - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Sinc ... tballer%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eaves's legacy will be the fact we signed him based off one game, and that he was thrown on against Blackpool just so Dougie could troll Kevin Davies.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Just back to defenders for a minute - surprised no one mentioned Ben Haim. Always thought he was a class act either at centre half or full back. Fell foul of the 'Bolton curse' by becoming bobbins as soon as he left us
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Davies does seem an incredibly strange comparison to make. What about signing a player, then sending him out on loan a year later and bringing in others on loan in his stead, exemplifies the virtue of patience?
What on earth are you on about?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Winning formula.

He's talking about getting the right player rather than just any old rubbish.

See Marvin Sordell as the ultimate example of just spending money cos it is there.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Winning formula.

He's talking about getting the right player rather than just any old rubbish.

See Marvin Sordell as the ultimate example of just spending money cos it is there.
I'll see your Sordell and Raise you an Elmander.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Craig Davies.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Craig Davies.
Great. Why?