Us Vs The Red Scousers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Us Vs The Red Scousers

Post by Horza » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Totally, 4-2-3-1 just looks misleading to me as the option we have is either 3 men in the middle of the park (4-5-1), or 2 (4-4-2).
More complicated than that. Big difference between a side with one holding midfielder and two advanced and vice versa - both have implications for wingers and fullbacks, covering, counter-attacks etc.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Best and most simplest description I heard of 4-4-2 is that effectively you have 5 partnerships, 5 pairings. If you look at ours:

Centre halves - ok, but one a bit error prone and pisspoor with the ball
Right wing - currently is arguably our weakest link. No cohesion going forward and poor positioning defensively
Left wing - solid full back but often with little cover. similarly good attacking winger but limited support
Central mid - very limited. Easily pulled from positions. Poor passing range.
Strikers - too similar, ish. In that they're both slow and poor ball control, not inclined to run with the ball

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm sometimes frustrated by Coyle's tactics, yesterday was an example. We're always going to be outmatched man for man but it was also obvious we'd have a problem in the 'square of space' between our CB and CM, as Reo-Coker and Muamba were drawn too far forward to Lucas and Adam, allowing Suarez & Kuyt to drop off into it... even if they were marked they could simply touch the ball sideways to a team-mate who definitely would be in space. Watching Suarez was a bit like the 90s when your Cantonas and Zolas would easily exploit the straight-lined 4-4-2 they came up against.

I think it was recognised eventually to squeeze it a bit, but then the problem then became the space behind Steinsson. I'm not a Steinsson hater but doesn't look a confident footballer Steinsson at the minute so I'd chuck Boyata in next game. Although this would further destroy Steinsson's confidence, it's a tough business etc.

I've accepted though that we don't have a tactics-minded manager and they are just one part of the game, his strengths lie in the other parts of it, which is fine...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Both full backs were sold short. Robinson by Petrov (though his own distribution was abysmal yest) and Steinson by Eagles who wad rucking in to help out the overun centre mids...rightly or wrongly.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Both full backs were sold short. Robinson by Petrov (though his own distribution was abysmal yest) and Steinson by Eagles who wad rucking in to help out the overun centre mids...rightly or wrongly.
That is the main thing I took from the game. I think people wanting us to ship in an entirely new backline (especially one that features playing our new loanee centre half at right back, because all new signings are obviously awesome) are missing the point.

Our defenders aren't as irredeemably shite as they are made to look by our tactics and the fact we can't keep hold of the ball.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Think i meant to type "tucking in" re eagles...bring back the days of computers you couldnt fit in your car boot let alone your pocket

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Watched MotD this morning and something that I didn't notice yesterday was just how Cahill got found out on their 3rd goal. Reina punts it downfield and our boy does the worst thing imaginable. He doesn't stop it from bouncing, nor does he stay where he is - he went halfway and watched it bounce over his head.
May the bridges I burn light your way