No time to make crap puns - Bolton v Newcastle, 26 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Re: No time to make crap puns - Bolton v Newcastle, 26 Dec

Post by Gail Platz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:53 pm

I don't think I've ever been as angry after a game as this one.

I see a lot of people are blaming the substitution for us losing the game. In one sense you're right because it was Chris 'touch of a rapist' Eagles who was 100% completely at fault for that goal happening, for gifting them possession. However, I don't know how anyone can slate Coyle for it because both goals didn't come from down the centre of the park where Muamba was, it was an attacking substitution and both of our goals came from crosses in on the right and left sides.

There has never been a player that has made me as angry and frustrated as Paul Robinson. Is he deliberately out to try and feck us over? Obertan ripped him a new arsehole. He has no idea how to defend, he just backs off and backs off wingers and then falls over! There was one time he headed the ball straight to Demba Ba, who then gave it him back and he just headed it out for a corner!

Final one from me, I'd love to see Kevin Davies and David Ngog in a 60m sprint race. My money would be on Davies just to pip it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Two further, unrelated points.

1. Though NRC was very good again today.

2. If there weren't bigger reasons for whinging I'd be whinging at the ref. Tiote should have gone at 0-0. Walking a tight rope after being booked for about 26 first half fouls, got turned by Reo-Coker who would have been running at their defence, and went right through the back of him. The ref, somehow, decided it was their free-kick. Our kid reckons he blew for the free-kick, then realised he'd have to send off, the frankly terrifying, Tiote so bottled it and pointed t'other way. Our Dad reckons he's just shit. You decide.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:18 pm

How the feck does losing the ball on the halfway line make it 100% eagles fault

contributor yes but 100%?

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Coyle will probably blame the result n the "two minutes of madness" again but the lads really need to find a way to keep the ball and maintain composure so quickly after conceding.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Get rid of Robinson or play the LB from the reserves
Pfffft.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Get rid of coyle and put the tea lady in charge

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Who is underneath Alonso in the pecking order? Surely even I can't be too far from getting a call up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:04 pm

S'gotta be San Rarrets

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Who is underneath Alonso in the pecking order? Surely even I can't be too far from getting a call up.
Adam Blakeman.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Surely he is as much of a left-back now as Nolan is centre-half? Looked comfortable on the ball, but didn't look like a defender against Macclesfield. It's San Rarrets all the way!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Truth is they were better than us. Passing, interception, reaction time and tackling they had us beaten in every area. Keeping them out counts for little when you're creating nothing and feck-all is the sum total of what we created most of the game. Our only real efforts came from free-kicks and we were disorganised and about as dangerous as fairy cakes in attack. We're too slow in all departments and, as I commented at half time, same old script. They closed us down on space and hassled us off the ball as soon as we got it. It's easier to do that to us than closing a library book. Every team in the league now knows how to play Bolton. Mark Davies is good running forward, and no sort of a defender and he's the only one that can run at and beat players. Both the goals were of the soft variety and I never once felt we'd win this after the first half.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm almost to sad to comment. A point today would have set us up nicely for Wolves next week. We looked able to get it and then OC's weird mistrust of the Moo (again) led to a bizarre and, patently, wrong substitution. An error of 'bringing on McCann' proportions.

Is that 10 losses from 11 home games and he's still as comfortable as he ever was.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:13 pm

And still folk will defend him

Today was nothing to do with 'championship budgets'

It was all to do with a ridiculous substitution - oh aye, he picked the wrong team, too, but that's a given
Sto ut Serviam

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Newcastle were the 9th worst team at the Reebok this season. We were the other 8. How the feck Newcastle have 30 points this year is beyond me if that's a true reflection of their game.

Anyone who thinks Robbo was the worst fullback on the pitch needs to take a good look at Boyata's performance. What is more annoying about that lad is that he might actually be good if he tried.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Boyata isn't too bad at defending in open play. Wank on the ball, and shit at marking for set pieces. Never a full back, and from his showings for us, a long way from a centre-half too!

Think you do a disservice to Newcastle there, they're not particularly good going forward, Ba aside; however, their back 5 plus Cabaye and Tiote are all fairly comfortable on it so they don't invite endless pressure, and despite not particularly rating any of that back four (Coloccini is a 4 games very good, one game VERY bad sort) they were well organised and coped very easily with us. We weren't great but we've at least occasionally looked like scoring against others. They also have a keeper who they've either swapped for his twin, is having a massively lucky spell, or has made a hiooouge improvement in the last 6-12 months. Added to a striker who has the propensity to score the odd hat-trick here and there and it shows why they're doing well. That said, they've players who'd struggle to get in our side. Leon Best is wank, the wingers are nowt special (thought Gutierrez had a decent game) and I don't really rate Simpson. Happen, then, they have a manager with a vague fecking clue beyond trying to inspire them beyond their, and his, limitations.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:20 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:And still folk will defend him

It was all to do with a ridiculous substitution - oh aye, he picked the wrong team, too, but that's a given
Think that's a tad harsh CAPS. It isn't necessarily the team I'd have picked, but given it seems he had no option at fullback (I may have been tempted by Ricketts at left back, but I have no idea how fit he is) I'd probably only have made two changes, and I can't see how Wheater for Knight would have affected it much.

It wasn't as 'wrong' as it has been, shall we say. At least he recognised we needed some movement up top, and that Muamba and NCR had to play, though he then f*cked that up by taking Muamba off. My problem was he a)misjudged the whole mood of the place. After Tuesday, a hard fought point where we actually did some attacking (in that we were in their half, if not creating chances) would, finally, have created some momentum and good feeling before Wolves. The chance to put a run together. He threw that away moronically by b) making a dim change that opened up the middle of the park and created a desperate win or bust mentality in the team by taking away the central solidity we had.

Budgets are an excuse for not having good enough players. They are not an excuse for failing, consistently to get the best out of the players you do have.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Who are those nice people that sit next to Coyle during the game? The young-ish chap and the grey-haired guy? Assisstants I presume, but what are their names? They look like a right pair of smug c*nts – presumably because they know they're stealing a living.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:Boyata isn't too bad at defending in open play. Wank on the ball, and shit at marking for set pieces. Never a full back, and from his showings for us, a long way from a centre-half too! Think you do a disservice to Newcastle there, they're not particularly good going forward, Ba aside; however, their back 5 plus Cabaye and Tiote are all fairly comfortable on it so they don't invite endless pressure, and despite not particularly rating any of that back four (Coloccini is a 4 games very good, one game VERY bad sort) they were well organised and coped very easily with us. We weren't great but we've at least occasionally looked like scoring against others. They also have a keeper who they've either swapped for his twin, is having a massively lucky spell, or has made a hiooouge improvement in the last 6-12 months. Added to a striker who has the propensity to score the odd hat-trick here and there and it shows why they're doing well. That said, they've players who'd struggle to get in our side. Leon Best is wank, the wingers are nowt special (thought Gutierrez had a decent game) and I don't really rate Simpson. Happen, then, they have a manager with a vague fecking clue beyond trying to inspire them beyond their, and his, limitations.
Sounds about right to me.Newcastle are were they are because they're well organised,work as a teamand have a striker on a hot streak. The fact we were well in the game with them after 65 mins was a big plus which makes blowing it so irksome. We had a system that was working and looked comfortable defensively for once. We have a team that struggle to create chances unless opponents are having to chase the game so our priority should be making sure we dont concede first and foremost and avoiding creating an open game which whilst being coyles idea of entertaining(and everyone elses of course) is only fun against equally matched teams of which unfortunately there are very few. With the exception of the fullbacks (one a centre back who didnt look happy when he arrived and never has and the other completely devoid of confidence) I thought we looked ok for the first hour today.If Moo,Steinsson and Ricketts are fit for Wolves its a game we should win. Boyata should get back to his rich mates where he clearly thinks he belongs and Robbo needs to be out of the firing line as it's a shame to watch him at present.Got to respect him for not hiding but he must be feeling pretty grim after a half season long nightmare

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:And still folk will defend him

Think that's a tad harsh CAPS. It isn't necessarily the team I'd have picked, but given it seems he had no option at fullback (I may have been tempted by Ricketts at left back, but I have no idea how fit he is) I'd probably only have made two changes, and I can't see how Wheater for Knight would have affected it much.

It wasn't as 'wrong' as it has been, shall we say. At least he recognised we needed some movement up top, and that Muamba and NCR had to play, though he then f*cked that up by taking Muamba off. My problem was he a)misjudged the whole mood of the place. After Tuesday, a hard fought point where we actually did some attacking (in that we were in their half, if not creating chances) would, finally, have created some momentum and good feeling before Wolves. The chance to put a run together. He threw that away moronically by b) making a dim change that opened up the middle of the park and created a desperate win or bust mentality in the team by taking away the central solidity we had.

Budgets are an excuse for not having good enough players. They are not an excuse for failing, consistently to get the best out of the players you do have.
IF Steinnson was unavailable, and that will hopefully come out when he writes his memoirs, the back 5 could - but admittedly, it's arguable - have been improved with Wheater in for Knight...other than that, he made the only choice he could

Its the front 6...wrong, wrong, wrong

He would have gone 4-2 whatever happened at Rovers but beating a shite defence made him think everything was about to turn rosy

It should have been the 5 man midfield I argued for on here

Did you notice, that once Muamba went off, Petrov didn't touch the ball again

5 in midfield is not less attacking than 4-4-2..not if its the only fcuking way you see the ball
Sto ut Serviam

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Cone man is right.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.