Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:13 pm

It wasn't ironic, he halfheartedly closed down, got turned inside out and they created bags of space for a shot..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:15 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I work in Fleetwood and live just down the road, so it'll be a couple of short trips for me next year. I had heard that the money was starting to run out at FT?

On another note, I saw Ched Evans in Fleetwood last week and this adds on to a rumour I heard from a neighbour who claims to be in the know, that he's training with the club at the moment on the very QT.
Have,nt heard a peep about this,but I,ll speak to a coach there before the day,s out,don't know about cash running out,the fecker (owner) is just getting richer by the week!
I know a few in Fleetwood, and the owner is rich & his money certainly isn't running out - the issue with Fleetwood is apparently FFP restricting the amount of money the owner can spend on players.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Quote from Phillips in the BN:

“I was going to give young Alex the last 10 minutes but Peter Reid – quite rightly as well – said that Reading were looking to put more balls into the box, particularly at set plays and big Emile (Heskey) was a real asset in defending them.

“It was just ironic that as soon as we got him on the pitch we concede to a great strike.”

Nice one Peter!
Aye, cheers Peter because a 0-0 draw was just what we wanted in our mid table position :roll:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

“I was going to give young Alex the last 10 minutes but Peter Reid – quite rightly as well – said that Reading were looking to put more balls into the box, particularly at set plays and big Emile (Heskey) was a real asset in defending them.

“It was just ironic that as soon as we got him on the pitch we concede to a great strike.”

Nice one Peter!

Reid Out!
Shocking decision IMO to put Heskey on, and shows exactly why Phillips should not be anywhere near the managers job full time - we need a much stronger manager who won't be swayed so easily by a comment from an assistant.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Nice one Peter!

Reid Out!
Shocking decision IMO to put Heskey on, and shows exactly why Phillips should not be anywhere near the managers job full time - we need a much stronger manager who won't be swayed so easily by a comment from an assistant.
To be fair we were crying out for our last 3 managers to listen to someone. Lets see if Jimmy learns from it - now that would be a novelty :D

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote: Shocking decision IMO to put Heskey on, and shows exactly why Phillips should not be anywhere near the managers job full time - we need a much stronger manager who won't be swayed so easily by a comment from an assistant.
But to provide a counter-argument (I don't want JP as full time manager either for the record) isn't that an assistant's job? To provide his insight and advice for the manager to weigh up, then make an informed decision. Maybe that's what JP did, as much as we disagree with it. I wouldn't say that making or changing a decision following advice from your #2 is necessarily a weak trait. We had a "strong" manager in Lennon and that didn't serve us well.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to the opinion of your assistant or anyone else - however the 'informed decisions' have to be the right ones more often than not....and IMO this was not, trying to protect a 0-0 draw at home when already relegated, when trying to give the supporters something different to the previous manager and showing them that you are at least a little competent - to me does not mean bringing on Heskey - not so he could get us a goal (as we don't even try to attack anymore) but just so that he can defend better than the other mon is shocking.

He could have listened to Reid & said I take on board what you are saying, but Heskey's leaving at the end of the season and our defenders 'should' be able to cope with any long balls in the box - all things considered I need to try the kids and I'd rather give young Alex a few minutes instead of that lump Heskey, he's been warming up for 15 mins now and is keen as mustard and it will be good experience for him, and you never know he may actually get over the half way line and have a shot as I bet the Reading keeper's hands are freezing as he's not touched the ball all game !

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote: Shocking decision IMO to put Heskey on, and shows exactly why Phillips should not be anywhere near the managers job full time - we need a much stronger manager who won't be swayed so easily by a comment from an assistant.
But to provide a counter-argument (I don't want JP as full time manager either for the record) isn't that an assistant's job? To provide his insight and advice for the manager to weigh up, then make an informed decision. Maybe that's what JP did, as much as we disagree with it. I wouldn't say that making or changing a decision following advice from your #2 is necessarily a weak trait. We had a "strong" manager in Lennon and that didn't serve us well.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to the opinion of your assistant or anyone else - however the 'informed decisions' have to be the right ones more often than not....and IMO this was not, trying to protect a 0-0 draw at home when already relegated, when trying to give the supporters something different to the previous manager and showing them that you are at least a little competent - to me does not mean bringing on Heskey - not so he could get us a goal (as we don't even try to attack anymore) but just so that he can defend better than the other mon is shocking.

He could have listened to Reid & said I take on board what you are saying, but Heskey's leaving at the end of the season and our defenders 'should' be able to cope with any long balls in the box - all things considered I need to try the kids and I'd rather give young Alex a few minutes instead of that lump Heskey, he's been warming up for 15 mins now and is keen as mustard and it will be good experience for him, and you never know he may actually get over the half way line and have a shot as I bet the Reading keeper's hands are freezing as he's not touched the ball all game !
When I read JPs comment after the game it was clear to me that he is not the man for the job fulltime. He was either throwing Reid under the bus because the Heskey change backfired, or was too weak to stand by his own decision. Either way, not what we want from a manager.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:34 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

When I read JPs comment after the game it was clear to me that he is not the man for the job fulltime. He was either throwing Reid under the bus because the Heskey change backfired, or was too weak to stand by his own decision. Either way, not what we want from a manager.
Or he took the advice of a far more experienced manager that was brought in for the purpose of helping him. Not saying Jimmy is the man for the job, but all he's done is listen to someone with more experience. Important thing is he learns to trust his own instincts at the right time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:08 pm

i think his mistake is simply telling us about it... it's all chance and forture - had heskey scored the winner - and JP had let us knolw he took Reid's advice - we'd all be on here saying what a great trait it is of a manager to listen to advice...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:23 pm

If the result mattered how many managers would bring on a 5ft midget who has never played in the first team before ahead of a 6ft plus experienced target man?

I mean in the situation we might as well have had a look at Samizadeh. But Heskey was the percentage move to try and hang on to a 0-0 for the reasons Phillips outlined. Better aerially defensively more able to hold the ball in theory.

But it was odd to even care about trying to hang on to a 0-0 in our position.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:47 pm

thebish wrote: had heskey scored the winner
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:48 pm

feck defending for the last 5 minutes at 0-0 at home - A draw makes no difference - A win keeps the wolf from the door for another week or 2..

I'd bet my house that in 20 games, young Alex would get 3 times the goals Heskey would

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If the result mattered how many managers would bring on a 5ft midget who has never played in the first team before ahead of a 6ft plus experienced target man?

I mean in the situation we might as well have had a look at Samizadeh. But Heskey was the percentage move to try and hang on to a 0-0 for the reasons Phillips outlined. Better aerially defensively more able to hold the ball in theory.

But it was odd to even care about trying to hang on to a 0-0 in our position.
Definitely odd - I agree with everything you've said expect for Heskey being able to hold the ball (in theory).. He couldn't hold an apple in both hands.

Heskey weakens us defensively, as nothing sticks, he can't even run to pressurise defenders. He needs it at his feet, slowly, but even then it'll bounce off, or he'll fall over

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote: had heskey scored the winner
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:00 pm

bringing back the glory.. :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:52 pm

I'd have thought the young lad would've been a spectator on the halfway line as we were doing nothing up front or in mdifield. I agree that he's more liekly to bury a chance than Heskey but doubt he'd have got one. Obviously a point is worth feck all in keeping us up, but nor is 3. They were never going to get 3, but a draw would have given them something to cling to confidence wise, however small.
Subbing Alex S instead of EH would've made no difference either to the nil that we got or the one that they got. Never seen Jimmy as manager, but this makes no odds either way to me.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:28 pm

"Get rid of Lennon, stick Jimmy Phillips in instead. Things can't get any worse."
Businesswoman of the year.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 pm

"Give the kids a chance. Things can't get any worse."

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 pm

:roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:36 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:"Give the kids a chance. Things can't get any worse."
They're not actually getting any worse! At least we can see now that next season's going to be a fecking disaster as well. You know, gets all this ridiculous optimism out of the way good and early. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way