Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Just back to defenders for a minute - surprised no one mentioned Ben Haim. Always thought he was a class act either at centre half or full back. Fell foul of the 'Bolton curse' by becoming bobbins as soon as he left us
Was thinking of Tal Ben earlier, and also Gudni and, for a season, Hierro. Class all.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Davies does seem an incredibly strange comparison to make. What about signing a player, then sending him out on loan a year later and bringing in others on loan in his stead, exemplifies the virtue of patience?
What on earth are you on about?
Craig Davies.
We could buy 21 Craig Davies' and still not get to what we paid for Sordell and N'gog, that the other clueless fcuker signed.

As mistakes go, Cravies hardly counts and for all we know, he might go for around what we paid - which was marginally more than Clueless paid for Eaves who's also heading out of the door.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I *think* LK may have read 'Craig Dawson' as 'Craig Davies' in those quotes from Douglas...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Just back to defenders for a minute - surprised no one mentioned Ben Haim. Always thought he was a class act either at centre half or full back. Fell foul of the 'Bolton curse' by becoming bobbins as soon as he left us
Was thinking of Tal Ben earlier, and also Gudni and, for a season, Hierro. Class all.
Yep, we were spoilt for a while. Bruno and Gudni were the best. Faye I thought better in the holding role. Meite were shite. TBH v good.

Cahill worthy of comparison with any, though probably not quite at Bruno and Gudni level, but not far off. To describe him as anything other than a brilliant defender is ridiculous!

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Just had an Emerson Thome flashback ... make it stop !!
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Davies does seem an incredibly strange comparison to make. What about signing a player, then sending him out on loan a year later and bringing in others on loan in his stead, exemplifies the virtue of patience?
Craig Davies.
We could buy 21 Craig Davies' and still not get to what we paid for Sordell and N'gog, that the other clueless fcuker signed.

As mistakes go, Cravies hardly counts and for all we know, he might go for around what we paid - which was marginally more than Clueless paid for Eaves who's also heading out of the door.
as Omar would say... innnnnndeeed!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Ah ... NOW I se Dougie's game plan ...

(direct quotes via the BEN btw)

“Cash is king. In our position we need to be shrewd and wait for .... At that point it’ll be the right price and the right time for us. I could go out and sign three players tomorrow morning but that has never been my style. I don’t do short-term solutions. I am patient. I was patient with Craig Dawson, I was patient with Lukas Jutkiewicz and I’m being patient with Joe Mason – I think that’s the way to be.”

Be patient, and take your time, like we did with Dawson and the Juke.

Winning formula.

Yes, I know we're boracic. I know we can't splash the cash but those are two very strange examples to chose.
He's talking about getting the right player rather than just any old rubbish.

See Marvin Sordell as the ultimate example of just spending money cos it is there.
... I understand the principle, just not why he'd give as an exampletwo pplayers thatbiding our time meant we lost out on and a thirdwho may also go that way
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:14 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Craig Davies.

Not wishing to poop Omar's party with my own dose of pedantry, but what has Owen Coyle's spending got to do with a comment by Dougie Freedman about Craig Davies? Of course, that's assuming you read what went before.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:... I understand the principle, just not why he'd give as an exampletwo pplayers thatbiding our time meant we lost out on and a thirdwho may also go that way
maybe he meant that biding our time meant we got them on loan last time round....

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:17 pm

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... r-on-trial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another young midfielder, thanks to vienna suite for the link.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Craig Davies.

Not wishing to poop Omar's party with my own dose of pedantry, but what has Owen Coyle's spending got to do with a comment by Dougie Freedman about Craig Davies? Of course, that's assuming you read what went before.
"“Cash is king. In our position we need to be shrewd and wait for .... At that point it’ll be the right price and the right time for us. I could go out and sign three players tomorrow morning but that has never been my style. I don’t do short-term solutions. I am patient. I was patient with Craig Dawson, I was patient with Lukas Jutkiewicz and I’m being patient with Joe Mason – I think that’s the way to be.”

Ahem.

Yeah, imagine if you'd read what went before.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Riviman wrote:http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... r-on-trial

And another young midfielder, thanks to vienna suite for the link.
... & he played at Centre--Half last evening, replacing Wheater for 20-25 minutes Looked decent tbh, but he didn't even attempt to play midfield.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

As the kids say, awkward

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Ah ... NOW I se Dougie's game plan ...

(direct quotes via the BEN btw)

“Cash is king. In our position we need to be shrewd and wait for .... At that point it’ll be the right price and the right time for us. I could go out and sign three players tomorrow morning but that has never been my style. I don’t do short-term solutions. I am patient. I was patient with Craig Dawson, I was patient with Lukas Jutkiewicz and I’m being patient with Joe Mason – I think that’s the way to be.”

Be patient, and take your time, like we did with Dawson and the Juke.

Winning formula.

Yes, I know we're boracic. I know we can't splash the cash but those are two very strange examples to chose.
He's talking about getting the right player rather than just any old rubbish.

See Marvin Sordell as the ultimate example of just spending money cos it is there.
... I understand the principle, just not why he'd give as an exampletwo pplayers thatbiding our time meant we lost out on and a thirdwho may also go that way
He's talking about getting them on loan. But even if he wasn't the point is that he waited patiently for Juke etc and will again even if it means not getting those players rather than spend money in lesser players....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:22 pm

^^ yes. I know what he means.

It's ...... just ...... that ..... it ..... strikes ..... me .... as .... a .... very ..... strange ..... example ..... to ..... give ..... .

Is that clear ???

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ yes. I know what he means.

It's ...... just ...... that ..... it ..... strikes ..... me .... as .... a .... very ..... strange ..... example ..... to ..... give ..... .

Is that clear ???
They are perfect examples if your message is that you absolutely won't risk the longer term financial standing of the club for a short term gain, even if you end up suffering in the short term.

And I think that is the message....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh !!!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 pm

bobo the clown wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh !!!!
what's your prob bobes??

one example of waiting for a loan that worked out (jutkiewitz) to illustrate that he's willing to play the waiting game again for another loan (Mason)

all seems straightforward enough to me... :conf:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 pm

He's giving two failed examples of his bide-his-time tactic to evidence what his tactic is.

Unless the tactic, of biding his time, is his measure .... in which case "well done".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:He's giving two failed examples of his bide-his-time tactic to evidence what his tactic is.

Unless the tactic, of biding his time, is his measure .... in which case "well done".
no - you've missed the point... he waited for Jutkiewitz FIRST time around - when he came on loan - and the waiting paid off - he got his man.

it wasn't a failed example AT ALL. now he's playing the SAME waiting game for mason - for a loan.

keep up Bobo!! 8)