Bolton v Liverpool Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:35 am

Tombwfc wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Blurred is right about Davies. Love the man, but I cringe every time I hear him talk about how he'd never dive. I don't even mind him doing it if it works, but there's no need for the pretense.

Similar could be said of the entire Reebok though. Half the time is devoted to slagging off an opposition player for being a wimp and going down too easily, the other half is spent slagging off the referee for not giving a penalty when Lee gets knocked over in the box by a light breeze.
It's no surprise after all these years - the precedent has been set and the divers always win.

See also Diouf, El-Hadji
That's fine, and like I said I don't really care about him doing it. Good for him if it wins a free-kick from it.

However, if you're coming out with stuff like this....
Kevin Davies has spoken out about players diving, reserving his most severe criticism for Chelsea`s Didier Drogba.

'If I'm watching on television I shout at the screen. Someone his size, his strength, I just don't understand it,` he told the Independent. Davies also commented on his own refusal to indulge in such tactics.

'I find it embarrassing. Unmanly,` he declared.
..... then you leave yourself open to looking silly. Stevie G-esque.
[/quote]

Blame the Italians Tom :mrgreen:

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:20 am

I missed the game due to having a smashing time in Paris but when I saw the result last night the only thing I could think was 'I fecking knew it.'

You could write the script yourself couldn't you?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Bolton only lost once all season
Unbeaten at home
Liverpool not won away since Burnley in April,
Also the last game that winger Maxi Rodriguez scored a goal
Win would take us to 5th

Oh yes, can we write a script :mrgreen:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Football fans are w*nkers, aren't they?

Moan moan moan.

As fickle as a one year old with a shiny new toy.
Troll and proud of it.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Enjoy the game did you as? Go on give us an opinion, dares you

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:57 pm

as wrote:Football fans are w*nkers, aren't they?

Moan moan moan.

As fickle as a one year old with a shiny new toy.
I can definitely tell, you're a Football fan
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Davies did seem to go flying through the air in the penalty area but he was definitely nudged/barged somewhat. It seems like they're playing for the foul as opposed to trying to see what happens if they shoot. Sometimes it works but if it doesn't work it looks silly and is a waste of possession.

I didn't see the game but I noticed Cahill got some bonus points on my fantasy team so he must have done well generally, and we were never going to get the rub of the green against Liverpool.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Bolton only lost once all season
Unbeaten at home
XXXXXXXX not won away since April,
Also the last game that YYYYYYYYYY scored a goal
Win would take us to 5th

Oh yes, can we write a script :mrgreen:
So many times we could have repeated that statement over past seasons replacing XXXXXXXX by any team and YYYYYYYY by any player, we have almost always lost when in that position. Sad but true, it is very frustrating.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:22 pm

It's a strange one, I thoroughly enjoyed the game at weekend, and wasn't bored at any point, but every neutral whom I've spoken to said that on TV it was a borefest. Strange.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 pm

East Lower wrote:It's a strange one, I thoroughly enjoyed the game at weekend, and wasn't bored at any point, but every neutral whom I've spoken to said that on TV it was a borefest. Strange.
Most of my mates who saw it, said it was just very poor quality rather than boring. I can't really argue with any of that

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:
East Lower wrote:It's a strange one, I thoroughly enjoyed the game at weekend, and wasn't bored at any point, but every neutral whom I've spoken to said that on TV it was a borefest. Strange.
Most of my mates who saw it, said it was just very poor quality rather than boring. I can't really argue with any of that
I thought that was the implication, which was surprising as I enjoyed myself. Maybe that says more about me though eh? Easily pleased.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:26 pm

East Lower wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
I thought that was the implication, which was surprising as I enjoyed myself. Maybe that says more about me though eh? Easily pleased.
I thought it was ok, just not that many chances, but some end to end stuff and good intensity.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm

East Lower wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
It's difficult to find a game 'boring' (in my opinion) when there's an emotional interest in the game.. Unless it's against Southampton or Fulham at home!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 pm

boltonboris wrote:
East Lower wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
It's difficult to find a game 'boring' (in my opinion) when there's an emotional interest in the game.. Unless it's against Southampton or Fulham at home!
I can remember a recent 18 month long period where boredom was the most enjoyable thing about watching us.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm

I think both teams were wasteful with possession, but defended pretty well. So if you are, like a lot of Bolton fans are, appreciative of the tough end of the game it wasn't a bad spectacle.

Have to say as well, there was one point in the first half that we applauded a pass from Davo in the final 3rd back out to Robbo on the halfway line - which was Spurs-fans-esque.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm

ratbert wrote:http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Th ... eaping-928

My mostly rubbish perspective on the game.
Good read, that!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 am

My take on the game, I thought it was a decent game and we did ok and were unlucky to lose - there were some half decent performances

Holden was excellent again, Cahill played well, Lee good 1st half and I even thought Steinsson played well (his best game for ages), Muamba was awful though, he did nothing all game and recently its been like playing with 10 men, Muamba needs dropping he's a liability (prob 2 out of 10 on sunday), it time for Mark Davies to be given a chance IMO

Also the goal should have been saved by Jussi, the shot was straight at him and not difficult to save IMO. He cost us the point.

All in all though we did ok, Liverpool still have good players and anyone who expected a win needs to wake up.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 am

Peter Thompson wrote:My take on the game, I thought it was a decent game and we did ok and were unlucky to lose - there were some half decent performances

Holden was excellent again, Cahill played well, Lee good 1st half and I even thought Steinsson played well (his best game for ages), Muamba was awful though, he did nothing all game and recently its been like playing with 10 men, Muamba needs dropping he's a liability (prob 2 out of 10 on sunday), it time for Mark Davies to be given a chance IMO

Also the goal should have been saved by Jussi, the shot was straight at him and not difficult to save IMO. He cost us the point.

All in all though we did ok, Liverpool still have good players and anyone who expected a win needs to wake up.
Absolutely. He's perfect for 4-5-1, but of no use to use at all in 4-4-2.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am

Peter Thompson wrote:My take on the game, I thought it was a decent game and we did ok and were unlucky to lose - there were some half decent performances

that bit there - that's bollox that is...