Wanderers vs The Villa

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers vs The Villa

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 am

I don't get folk being upset by a bit of music after goals. To be honest I barely noticed. Its not like we as fans make a great deal of noise or are renowned for our repertoire of lung busting terrace anthems is it? Anything that might appeal to the more "casual" fan won't do any harm will it?

We need to do anything we can to attract a "broader" fan base as seemingly the "hardcore" isn't going to fill the ground, not by a long shot.

People say it makes us seem "small time". Well we are small time, in terms of attendances and touches like this might just get a few more families etc through the turnstiles, boosting support and revenue for the club. If it doesn't do anything then it hasn't cost anything has it?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Any links to the goals? I foolishly thought I'd be able to catch it on MOTD or on iplayer or somert, but no joy

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:11 pm

I think about 3/4 pages back HRG, there should be a working link or try 101 goals site?
Pfffft.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:13 pm

http://www.footytube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I think about 3/4 pages back HRG, there should be a working link or try 101 goals site?

Ah, found it

That's a way of saying "search for it yourself you lazy bastard" isn't it?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

I would never say that HRG. I'm not that crude but yeah :D
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bw@bw wrote:I can understand Fergie and Phelan watching yesterday - next PL game....
But why was Dalglish there?
They have played us twice, and only play Villa in last match of season.
Window shopping?
Cahill, Holden, Lee and maybe Sturridge watching no doubt? .
Not to mention a few of the opposition. They've been linked with Downing, for example, under a few different managers.

Someone mentioned Kyle Walker, Villa's on-loan Spurs right-back. He looked rather good, again. Wonder if we could borrow him next year?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
bw@bw wrote:I can understand Fergie and Phelan watching yesterday - next PL game....
But why was Dalglish there?
They have played us twice, and only play Villa in last match of season.
Window shopping?
Cahill, Holden, Lee and maybe Sturridge watching no doubt? .
Not to mention a few of the opposition. They've been linked with Downing, for example, under a few different managers.

Someone mentioned Kyle Walker, Villa's on-loan Spurs right-back. He looked rather good, again. Wonder if we could borrow him next year?
Liverpool have been linked mostly with Ashley Young. I'd imagine thats quite likely come the summer.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't get folk being upset by a bit of music after goals. To be honest I barely noticed. Its not like we as fans make a great deal of noise or are renowned for our repertoire of lung busting terrace anthems is it? Anything that might appeal to the more "casual" fan won't do any harm will it?

We need to do anything we can to attract a "broader" fan base as seemingly the "hardcore" isn't going to fill the ground, not by a long shot.

People say it makes us seem "small time". Well we are small time, in terms of attendances and touches like this might just get a few more families etc through the turnstiles, boosting support and revenue for the club. If it doesn't do anything then it hasn't cost anything has it?
We don't have to get 50,000 loud fans to not have something approaching a choreographed celebration. A goal should be an ultimate moment, possibly the climax to the match, but now just after the first roar and celebrations with your mates it gets interrupted by a song blasting out which was played pre-match in order to keep people's ears occupied.

Accuse me of making a mountain out of a molehill but it honestly brings down the match day experience for me to hear it, and I'm not sure in what way it would really improve the day out for families or 'casual' fans either? Yes OK have some music before the game, yes OK have something going on at half time, but I'd not be happy if this is to be a regular thing again as I thought we'd put this behind us.

If the kids don't enjoy the game but do like singing & dancing to songs recently covered by The Saturdays they're probably better listening to a CD on their afternoons if we're honest.

As for acting small time because we are, can we not try to be a bit better than this? All the bigger clubs don't have it, in fact even Arsenal and their moronic stadium announcer don't have it, but the likes of Wolves, Burnley and pretty much every League 1/2 club do...

And to think I had the cheek to scoff at Wolves' Ebanks-Blake thing last week.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Athers wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't get folk being upset by a bit of music after goals. To be honest I barely noticed. Its not like we as fans make a great deal of noise or are renowned for our repertoire of lung busting terrace anthems is it? Anything that might appeal to the more "casual" fan won't do any harm will it?

We don't have to get 50,000 loud fans to not have something approaching a choreographed celebration. A goal should be an ultimate moment, possibly the climax to the match, but now just after the first roar and celebrations with your mates it gets interrupted by a song blasting out which was played pre-match in order to keep people's ears occupied.

Accuse me of making a mountain out of a molehill but it honestly brings down the match day experience for me to hear it, and I'm not sure in what way it would really improve the day out for families or 'casual' fans either? Yes OK have some music before the game, yes OK have something going on at half time, but I'd not be happy if this is to be a regular thing again as I thought we'd put this behind us.

If the kids don't enjoy the game but do like singing & dancing to songs recently covered by The Saturdays they're probably better listening to a CD on their afternoons if we're honest.

As for acting small time because we are, can we not try to be a bit better than this? All the bigger clubs don't have it, in fact even Arsenal and their moronic stadium announcer don't have it, but the likes of Wolves, Burnley and pretty much every League 1/2 club do...

What do you recommend? As it stands, we have two chants. "Wanderers, Wanderers" and "We are the one and only Wanderers", both repeated ad finitum. Unless a player does something particularly good, then we have a few (limited) individual chants for them. When we score, we have a burst of noise, cheering and the like, and then back to silence. Most of the "big clubs" have a few more songs in their repertoire. However, our support is almost pitifully quiet. For the record, I quite like the song and accompanying video - not least because that's me the camera's focused on in the 2nd frame =D

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Songs from fans in the stands and a song over the PA are very different things though. I don't see how having PA music helps inspire fans to sing something else when it's switched off?

Nor is it inspiring anyway as we're all still celebrating not trying to encourage.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Athers is bang on the money for me. A goal is the ultimate in a football game, everyone is bouncing around, and then that shite comes on. This has nothing to do with the fact a guy from work sings the two lines he knows to that song over and over again ALL WEEK. It's almost, but not quite, as City putting chants over the tannoy. It's oh so very cringeworthy!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Maybe when we've had our obligatory 15 mins after the break where we can't find a white shirt with our passing, Steinsson's man is cheerily waving in 20 yards of space and Elmander's just been knocked off the ball by a packet of crisp we can wheel out the ol' "Karate Kid" song to lift them up :mrgreen:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Maybe when we've had our obligatory 15 mins after the break where we can't find a white shirt with our passing, Steinsson's man is cheerily waving in 20 yards of space and Elmander's just been knocked off the ball by a packet of crisp we can wheel out the ol' "Karate Kid" song to lift them up :mrgreen:
Is this what they do in basketball? :grin:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Maybe when we've had our obligatory 15 mins after the break where we can't find a white shirt with our passing, Steinsson's man is cheerily waving in 20 yards of space and Elmander's just been knocked off the ball by a packet of crisp we can wheel out the ol' "Karate Kid" song to lift them up :mrgreen:
Is this what they do in basketball? :grin:
:spank:

We just stoop to "DE-FENCE", the Gary Megson chant

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:Athers is bang on the money for me. A goal is the ultimate in a football game, everyone is bouncing around, and then that shite comes on. This has nothing to do with the fact a guy from work sings the two lines he knows to that song over and over again ALL WEEK. It's almost, but not quite, as City putting chants over the tannoy. It's oh so very cringeworthy!
I mentioned this earlier on in the thread so don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm really not a fan of it either I wonder why we suddenly decided to bring the music back.

It's the same as with the drums (which I found more incessantly annoying than ever on Saturday - from the pretty shameful "cheat, cheat, cheat" thing to the lets-bang-them-as-fast-and-as-hard-as-we-can routine after each goal).

I don't think we need either, and if nearly 20,000 people cheering and celebrating as hard as they can after a great comeback in a very entertaining match isn't loud enough for some people on TV then that's their problem.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm not a great fan of it, mainly because it is a bit small time watching Celtic fans sing it on TV and then thinking 'We'll try that'.

In fairness, once the initial 'roar' died down, people in my end were singing along with the tune, so whatever. It's not like it impacted my enjoyment of the game in any meaningful way.

Far far more embarrasing is the 'cheat' drums, usually done at a time when the referee has made a fair decision.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

A lot of the old chants have just died out though, 'Football Kings' song has made a comeback which is good but we have a real reluctance to try anything new in my opinion or we don't have the medium in which to get new chants across.

Music being played after a goal is just awful, it should just b the celebration of the fans that's important
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Every BWFC supporting child should be taught to recite "Stevie Bull's a w*nker" by heart, or face the cane.

Hobo will back me up on this.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Athers wrote:

The missus who is at best a casual supporter who attends infrequently, loves that sort of thing. I think it appeals to women and kids mainly.

But hey whats the issue with it? It didn't ruin my enjoyment.

I just can't get by the whole "it makes us small time" stuff. When we can fill the reebok without trying owt extra then fair enough. But we can't. I'm willing to bet that "small time" Wolves who have that "silly song" have bigger crowds than we do.

No need or reason to be so precious about it.

I don't even mind the drummers, but as is pointed out that "cheat" drumming is just plain daft. But hey as fans we make such a racket who needs that? And we have soooooo many songs we can draw on........... :roll: