away to birmingham

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: away to birmingham

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:
And scored as many as Sordell has in 9 months I think
Rhodes wouldn't score many sat on the fcuking bench
Sto ut Serviam

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am

Long tunnel, no lights, even at the end, and lots of hurdles twixt here and there. Our "Team" seems to come on, make a small fist of it in the first half and concede in the 2nd half. They give the appearance of just having a kick around while every other team they face give us a walloping, despite, or in spite of, the officials. I said, tongue in cheek, last term about if we at some stage in the past had upset OC and it was now his avowed intent to destroy this club. We are on a downward spiral, same teams, same formations, same excuses and still expensive players sit on the bench and contribute nothing. I've even considered the tax benefits, if any, of deliberately dropping down a couple of leagues or some betting chicanery going on. I think it's at this stage that imaginations start to work overtime and all sorts of perceptions appear. I would imagine on present performance we will be dropping down a division at the end of this term. Surely OC can see his plan is falling apart? We can and we are not the professionals, he is. At one time our sesons were filled with excitement and expectation. I can only now feel disappointment, anger and very little hope. Oh, well, Leyton Orient is closer to me than Chelsea. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 am

Gravedigger wrote:Long tunnel, no lights, even at the end, and lots of hurdles twixt here and there. Our "Team" seems to come on, make a small fist of it in the first half and concede in the 2nd half. They give the appearance of just having a kick around while every other team they face give us a walloping, despite, or in spite of, the officials. I said, tongue in cheek, last term about if we at some stage in the past had upset OC and it was now his avowed intent to destroy this club. We are on a downward spiral, same teams, same formations, same excuses and still expensive players sit on the bench and contribute nothing. I've even considered the tax benefits, if any, of deliberately dropping down a couple of leagues or some betting chicanery going on. I think it's at this stage that imaginations start to work overtime and all sorts of perceptions appear. I would imagine on present performance we will be dropping down a division at the end of this term. Surely OC can see his plan is falling apart? We can and we are not the professionals, he is. At one time our sesons were filled with excitement and expectation. I can only now feel disappointment, anger and very little hope. Oh, well, Leyton Orient is closer to me than Chelsea. 8)
Yeah I think you echo the feelings of most. Its the frustration of seeing it all slip away that hurts the most.

Our rise from the 4th via Neal and Rioch, Todd who wasn't good enough to kick us on, but provided some entertainment along the way and took us into the new stadium and a new era, Allardyce raising the club to heights it had not experienced in more than half a century, and maintaining it for a long period. And even after that we looked like we could remain a premiership side even with difficulties of management surronding the club.

However, Coyle for me has undone the unity we had in the dressing room. The players are not happy with each other. It is not the tight-knit club it used to be.

It feels like most games are just a question of how monumentally poor and uninterested our team will look that day.

I've seen some bleak times as a Wanderer. I'd have to say against the context of the last decade, this is easily the bleakest. IMO.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I've seen some bleak times as a Wanderer. I'd have to say against the context of the last decade, this is easily the bleakest. IMO.
I've a feeling it's going to get a whole lot bleaker yet.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I've seen some bleak times as a Wanderer. I'd have to say against the context of the last decade, this is easily the bleakest. IMO.
Sadly so. Which is probably why it feels so bad now. Because there is absolutely no sign that we can reverse the 18 month slide the club has been on.

Midnite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Midnite » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am

the referee's fault again :roll:

i wonder what would happen if owen coyle stayed at the reebock for our away games :)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 am

Midnite wrote:the referee's fault again :roll:

i wonder what would happen if owen coyle stayed at the reebock for our away games :)

Hmmmmm..... a home manager and an away one?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 am

How many fans did we send down there? Any booing?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 am

Just seen the goals on SSN. Marlon King crumples in the vicinity of Alonso, then rolls around holding his shoulder as if it's broken. Stands up and scores the penalty then invites his team-mates to jump on same shoulder. What a fascinatingly horrible c*nt.

Mind you, that's the same guy who went out to celebrate his wife's pregnancy, sexually assaulted a woman and then punched her in the face when she spurned him, earning him an 18-month jail sentence when the judge took into account the fact that he had appeared in court seven times before for various offences including dishonesty, drink-driving and other motoring offences, violence against women and receiving a stolen £30,000 BMW, the last of which earned him 18-month prison sentence (reduced to nine on appeal).

As the Telegraph put it at the time of his second custodial sentence, "the violence solely involved women, and included common assaults on two he chased through Soho with a belt wrapped round his fist in 2003. Three years later he was convicted of threatening behaviour after slapping another woman on her bottom and head and then spitting at her when police arrived."

King is registered as a sex offender until 2016, and as he was given a custodial sentence longer than six months but less than 30 months, legally we can talk about it freely until October 2019.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 am

Dead Man Walking
"We controlled the early parts of the game and were settling in well, being the team in the ascendency. So to concede from what was Birmingham's first real move upfield was a setback.

"But we got ourselves back into the game and fought our way back, we created a couple of good chances and were worthy of the equaliser which was a great goal from Chris Eagles. It was fair that we went in even at half-time.

"We were disappointed with the penalty decision that gave them the lead again a minute into the second half and from then we battled hard to get back into the game.

"Our travelling fans kept with the players all night and really got behind them as we went in search of our second goal.

"Their goalkeeper Butland has a good reputation and he showed why by making a couple of fine saves. We tested him a number of times but we couldn't get that break to bring us back on level terms.

"We are six games in and there is no doubt we wanted a bigger points tally than we have at this stage. We have taken seven out of nine points on home turf and are unbeaten, and we know we want that on the road too.

"We put a lot into the game and the least we deserved was a draw, but it wasn't to be.

"Jay Spearing came off earlier in the match and he will be assessed in the next couple of days ahead of our game at Sheffield Wednesday."
Yet again it's down to the oppo's cheating by playing a goalkeeper, the cad's!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am

Hoboh wrote:Dead Man Walking
"We controlled the early parts of the game and were settling in well, being the team in the ascendency. So to concede from what was Birmingham's first real move upfield was inevitable

"But we got ourselves back into the game and fought our way back, we created a couple of good chances and were worthy of the equaliser which was a great goal from Chris Eagles. It was fair that we went in even at half-time. for one of my half time team talks

"We were disappointed with the penalty decision that gave them the lead again a minute into the second half and from then we battled hard to get back into the game. i.e. we were clueless trying to score from open play

"Our travelling fans kept with the players all night and really got behind them as we went in search of our second goal. puts fingers in ears and says 'lalalala can't hear you lalalala'

"Their goalkeeper Butland has a good reputation and he showed why by making a couple of fine saves. We tested him twice but we couldn't get that break to bring us back on level terms.

"We are six games in and there is no doubt we wanted a bigger points tally than we have at this stage. We have taken seven out of nine points on home turf and are unbeaten, and we know we want that on the road too.

"We put a lot into the game and the least we deserved was a draw, but it wasn't to be.

"Jay Spearing came off earlier in the match and he will be assessed in the next couple of days ahead of our game at Sheffield Wednesday."
Yet again it's down to the oppo's cheating by playing a goalkeeper, the cad's!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Sadly so. Which is probably why it feels so bad now. Because there is absolutely no sign that we can reverse the 18 month slide the club has been on.
It's nowhere near as bleak an atmosphere as when that ginger tosser was in charge. Don't ever forget that.

WW - always looking on the bright side. :)
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
It's nowhere near as bleak an atmosphere as when that ginger tosser was in charge. Don't ever forget that.

WW - always looking on the bright side. :)
Its worse. We're a division lower, with less crowds and the general feel rather than one of indignation, is of weariness and complete and utter disillusionment with the situation to the point of almost not caring.

As someone said, the two goals against Watford were barely celebrated around the ground.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Its worse. We're a division lower, with less crowds and the general feel rather than one of indignation, is of weariness and complete and utter disillusionment with the situation to the point of almost not caring.

As someone said, the two goals against Watford were barely celebrated around the ground.

never mind... I'm sure there's a buttery, buttery base around the corner to cheer you up...

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Its worse. We're a division lower, with less crowds and the general feel rather than one of indignation, is of weariness and complete and utter disillusionment with the situation to the point of almost not caring.
No, no it's not.

Not for me anyway.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:How many fans did we send down there? Any booing?
I was pleasantly surprised at how many were there, possibly 600 or so? Not so much booing but, put it this way, there weren't many sticking around to applaud them off.

We were an absolute bombscare in defence any time Brum came forward, but with a bit more composure and organisation in attack we'd have scored four or five on another day. Whether either of those are necessarily Coyle's fault once they run over the touchline I'm not entirely sure, but they're his players and his selections so he has to take ultimate responsibility for their lack of performance. The worrying thing is that Birmingham looked a seriously poor side and almost Bolton-esque with how many chances they let us have along with the possession, yet they're the ones with the three points in the bag.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Terry McDermot: "I'm going to do an Arsene Wenger and say I didn't see the penalty incident"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
No, no it's not.

Not for me anyway.
Thats fair enough, though rationally I'm not sure how being in and around the bottom 6 in the premiership at 1ppg can be worse than 15th in the championship at approx 1 ppg.

This feels worse because I always felt if Megson went we could attract someone with at least some potential to keep us up.

Now, I fear that when Coyle goes, whilst we would be almost certain to find an improvement of some kind, I don't see how we will get a long term solution. When Megson left we were one win off 11th, and I suspect a relatively decent proposition for an incoming manager of some ability.

Now, we're bottom half of the championship and looking like a club sinking fast. Can't be that appealing for people without a point to prove, not IMO.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Now, we're bottom half of the championship and looking like a club sinking fast. Can't be that appealing for people without a point to prove, not IMO.
I suspect you are being slightly over pessimistic... but we've sniffed round this tree before - we are still a very long way from being an unattractive proposition for an ambitious manager....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Now, we're bottom half of the championship and looking like a club sinking fast. Can't be that appealing for people without a point to prove, not IMO.
I suspect you are being slightly over pessimistic... but we've sniffed round this tree before - we are still a very long way from being an unattractive proposition for an ambitious manager....
Probably not, though there are some rumours abound that we are in such a mess behind the scenes that nobody will touch us with a bargepole....like I say rumours that may well be nonsense.

However, as you said re Redknapp, he wouldn't touch a championship side, simply on that basis alone. There will be others.

Lets say we were a premiership side, I could see us poaching Holloway out of Blackpool where he is under-funded and by several accounts a bit frustrated with Oyston and visa versa....

As it stands, I think we'd have a snowball in hells chance.

Just as an example.....

Not saying these are managers we'd WANT but plenty of championship managers who'd have jumped at a premiership job, but won't be as keen to jump a few places down the same league their in.