Can We Beat Pete??

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Can We Beat Pete??

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:So Peterborough are a good side who are only at the bottom of the table because of their pitch?

Just watch them play. They are terrible and anyone who has seen them will know why they're so bad. It doesn't take a genius to figure this basic stuff out.
What I did notice about them in the second half was that their shape was excellent, they lined up like Swansea - ready to use every inch of the pitch and to get in behind our narrow diamond by pushing men well out wide. However, their execution, even the simplest of balls was absolutely shocking. They'll go down because their players are a whole new shade of shit. As far as I can see it's as simple as that.
I was probably a bit harsh on them overall because, as you said, they can play some good stuff when going forward. I think Ferguson has done a good job with them on that, but they are poor defensively and the lack of talent in their team is remarkable. Some of the mistakes were so basic, if they happened in our development squad, you'd be annoyed at it, never mind a first team in the second tier of English football.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:So Peterborough are a good side who are only at the bottom of the table because of their pitch?

Just watch them play. They are terrible and anyone who has seen them will know why they're so bad. It doesn't take a genius to figure this basic stuff out.
They've scored 48 this season. 13 championship sides have scored less.

So keeping a clean sheet against them, was no forgone conclusion.

And limiting them to very few shots was also impressive, no?

I'm happy with the win - but we only restricted them to one less shot on target than we had... (according to the BBC) (which - admittedly wasn't very many!!) 8)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Bogdan was tested once. From a shot that took a deflection. The other 3 were worm shaggers that he could've thrown his cap on.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

They've scored 48 this season. 13 championship sides have scored less.

So keeping a clean sheet against them, was no forgone conclusion.

And limiting them to very few shots was also impressive, no?

I'm happy with the win - but we only restricted them to one less shot on target than we had... (according to the BBC) (which - admittedly wasn't very many!!) 8)
Yeah but as BB says Bogdan made one proper save. And after that they didn't create a chance of note.

Sure they weren't great on the day and are one of the weaker sides in the division (though not for goal scoring).

But we've conceded to plenty of those sides this season!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
But we've conceded to plenty of those sides this season!

we have - including 5 to Peterborough!!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:36 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

What I did notice about them in the second half was that their shape was excellent, they lined up like Swansea - ready to use every inch of the pitch and to get in behind our narrow diamond by pushing men well out wide. However, their execution, even the simplest of balls was absolutely shocking. They'll go down because their players are a whole new shade of shit. As far as I can see it's as simple as that.
I was probably a bit harsh on them overall because, as you said, they can play some good stuff when going forward. I think Ferguson has done a good job with them on that, but they are poor defensively and the lack of talent in their team is remarkable. Some of the mistakes were so basic, if they happened in our development squad, you'd be annoyed at it, never mind a first team in the second tier of English football.
I think they're punching way above their weight just being in the division and you're right they'll go down because their players aren't good enough. however they do score a few and we restricted them to very little in the way of chances despite midfield falling apart after mavies went off. that's credit to a solid back 4 and keeper and the defensive efforts of Spearing. The way we can drop off several levels from flowing attacking football to offering little threat to their defence is worrying though. If we keep playing like teams and we did on Tuesday we'll get picked off by better teams and not improve on tenth. If we can find more consistency up front though we might push on to the fringes of the play-offs and then you never know. A long shot on the evidence I've seen though.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

Anyway .... how was Pele looking ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 am

He was up for it
Pfffft.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Bit soft in the tackle to be honest
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 pm

And did we ever find out who Pete was?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:Bit soft in the tackle to be honest
:lol:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".