Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by jaffka » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Chungy will be a definite starter along with Mavies.

Lennon likes to play a diamond midfield so I would think along the lines of..

------------Mavies--------------

Chungy-------------------Danns

-----------Spearing-------------
That sounds about right to me. Give we lack proper full backs, if Lennon wanted to play 3 with a proper defensive midfielder in front, we could go with:

___Mason - C. Davies
_____M. Davies
Hall - Spearing - Feeney
_______Medo
_Ream - Mills - Dervite
______Bogdan

The weakness in that team is that it's too narrow but defensively it should be solid as long as Medo plays the Obi Mikel role by never moving away from the defence, and keeping hold of possession would be easier too, so if Lennon does like 3 at the back, I wouldn't be against seeing how it could unfold.
I'll give you a million pounds if a team even remotely like that ever steps out, provided you give me a pound back for every goal it concedes!
I get the idea that you are trying to put across but that is a favourable bet, do you really think you would get money back from laying out a million?

Were you pissed by any chance when you posted that?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 am

thebish wrote:
Jugs wrote: I agree. Vela uses the ball very well, rarely gives it away in dangerous areas. Moreover, he's actually comfortable on the ball. He's better than Pratley. He's ready, this is his time.

And I was going to say that we're crying out for a better scout system than we've had in the last few years. Hopefully Lennon will put that right.

How have people come to these conclusions about Vela? he's made a total of SEVEN senior appearances for us - EVER! FOUR of those were not starts - but a few minutes as a substitute! Since then he has suffered an injury tsunami!
I don't think he put much of a foot wrong in those games, even in the Prem. There were no nerves, no rushing to get rid of the ball. He was so composed. Then he went out on loan last season to Notts County, who were in a relegation dogfight, and by all accounts excelled. I'm not suggesting starting him, but get him on the bench.

Someone like Pratley, on the other hand, has made a lot more appearances and puts feet wrong all the time. I'm tired of watching so-called experienced players struggle to string a few passes together.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 am

Jugs wrote:
thebish wrote:
Jugs wrote: I agree. Vela uses the ball very well, rarely gives it away in dangerous areas. Moreover, he's actually comfortable on the ball. He's better than Pratley. He's ready, this is his time.

And I was going to say that we're crying out for a better scout system than we've had in the last few years. Hopefully Lennon will put that right.

How have people come to these conclusions about Vela? he's made a total of SEVEN senior appearances for us - EVER! FOUR of those were not starts - but a few minutes as a substitute! Since then he has suffered an injury tsunami!
I don't think he put much of a foot wrong in those games, even in the Prem. There were no nerves, no rushing to get rid of the ball. He was so composed. Then he went out on loan last season to Notts County, who were in a relegation dogfight, and by all accounts excelled. I'm not suggesting starting him, but get him on the bench.

Someone like Pratley, on the other hand, has made a lot more appearances and puts feet wrong all the time. I'm tired of watching so-called experienced players struggle to string a few passes together.
There ..... exactly this. That's all the proof there is because by a combination of injury and being overlooked he's played so rarely.

You being you Bish you'll now begin a contrarian campaign of 'innocent' ridicule against anyone who saw those performances and believe that, especially now he's learnt to run properly, he deserves to be kept available and given opportunities.

Put it this way ... if he's not better than Trotter, Garvan and Pratley maybe he should be blooming sidelined.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:55 am

We all dream of a DevelopmentteamfullofAndraniks... :D Interesting how hard it is to fit all those Next Big Things into yer imperfect 11s...

Good words from Lennon, by all accounts - and that's almost more important than what he's actually said: that the club gets together behind him. Seems pretty f*cking idiotic how Freedman talked about playing kids - and to some extent walked the walk: I haven't checked the stats but season-for-season, he probably gave more academy debuts than any manager this millennium – yet created a training apartheid between the first team and the youth. You want a continuum between the Development squad and the first team, with promotions when it benefits both team and player. It certainly can't hurt to take some young'uns along for the ride to away games, and try to put one or two on the bench in case we can give them stress-free game-time... should such a thing ever exist.

Also interesting to see that Lennon will institute the idea of staying together even before home games. It's common practice in certain continental countries, notably Freedman's beloved Italy, where the ritiro is an unarguable tradition popularised by the ruthlessly successful (and noted catenaccio cat) Helenio Herrera. It's great if you've got a good atmosphere going, which Lennon seems determined to create, but a bit less fun in a divided dressing room - some players have been known to resent the "prison camp", while any enforced jollity runs the risk of echoing Don Revie's fixation with bingo and carpet bowls...

Of course it's very possible that the boss will see a fairly full and lopsided squad, underpromising youngsters and, most important, an enormous need to win points quick. Those are not ideal conditions for blooding youth - but I'm happy that the new guy is making all the right noises.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 am

bobo the clown wrote:Put it this way ... if he's not better than Trotter, Garvan and Pratley maybe he should be blooming sidelined.
Indeed, so let's see which if those suspect Lennon picks. As noted earlier, Pratley has been picked on a frighteningly regular basis by the last two managers, only one of whom signed him. If NL picks him too, maybe we're all wrong...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 am

bobo the clown wrote:
You being you Bish you'll now begin a contrarian campaign of 'innocent' ridicule against anyone who saw those performances and believe that, especially now he's learnt to run properly, he deserves to be kept available and given opportunities.

Put it this way ... if he's not better than Trotter, Garvan and Pratley maybe he should be blooming sidelined.
no - really - I've seen him myself - live - and was fairly impressed - but that was a long time ago now and he has been injured since then (and - truth be told he only actually appeared in 7 games for Notts County!)

nobody on here - not even SF - when asked to name their team is including Vela in it. (yet dougie got bashed for not including him!)

I just think the gung-ho confidence that some folk appear to attach to Vela - given the slender evidence - is a bit over the top, that's all! (secretly, you agree!)

on a slight - but related - tangent.. I sometimes wonder if we are barking at the wrong cat-flap... it has been a common theme on this forum to blame managers for not flooding the team with all our ace youth players... yet - very rarely (if, ideed, at all) does the spotlight ever get pointed at Jiminho and his academy development team...

maybe they are not actually up to the job? we draft in countless promising youngsters from all over the world... but...

Maybe it is that we have loads of ace talented youngsters that successive first team managers have stubbornly ignored and destroyed... OR... maybe (just maybe) those in charge of youth development aren't up to the job we need them to do...

just a thought... are there better youth development teams out there than Jiminho and co.?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 am

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

no - really - I've seen him myself - live - and was fairly impressed - but that was a long time ago now and he has been injured since then (and - truth be told he only actually appeared in 7 games for Notts County!)

nobody on here - not even SF - when asked to name their team is including Vela in it. (yet dougie got bashed for not including him!)

I just think the gung-ho confidence that some folk appear to attach to Vela - given the slender evidence - is a bit over the top, that's all! (secretly, you agree!)

on a slight - but related - tangent.. I sometimes wonder if we are barking at the wrong cat-flap... it has been a common theme on this forum to blame managers for not flooding the team with all our ace youth players... yet - very rarely (if, ideed, at all) does the spotlight ever get pointed at Jiminho and his academy development team...

maybe they are not actually up to the job? we draft in countless promising youngsters from all over the world... but...

Maybe it is that we have loads of ace talented youngsters that successive first team managers have stubbornly ignored and destroyed... OR... maybe (just maybe) those in charge of youth development aren't up to the job we need them to do...

just a thought... are there better youth development teams out there than Jiminho and co.?
or that we don't actually get the ace talented youngsters. Is it Jimmys job to identify and persuade young uns to come to us or someone elses ? (genuine question)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:24 am

thebish wrote:just a thought... are there better youth development teams out there than Jiminho and co.?
How dare you even think that!!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:32 am

According to the BN, there was a divide between the academy and the first team that Lennon has to address. It's all a bit ambiguous.

Like I said, I'm not suggesting throwing Vela straight in the starting eleven, but by getting him on the bench the fans will be given another lift. I think it'd be a good statement from Lennon, to show us that he's prepared to give one of the better younger players a chance. Fans have been asking for it for ages. I honestly don't think it's a gamble - no worse a gamble than Garvan anyway. This lad is not rubbish, nor does he seem phased.

Instead of sending Vela back out on loan I'd make Pratley available for loan and ship him out for first team football elsewhere. Like we've done with Andrews.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:38 am

StaffsTrotter wrote: or that we don't actually get the ace talented youngsters. Is it Jimmys job to identify and persuade young uns to come to us or someone elses ? (genuine question)
i don't really know how our development setup works in that kind of detail - it'd be good if someone on here has that kind of insight to share...

with no cash to spend, the academy does seem like our best hope - are we sure it is the best it can be?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:01 am

no, other than a perception that like much else its a competitive business, the kids are getting younger and the big clubs are able throw more resources/ attract the better youngsters. theres always exceptions though and I guess NL has first hand experience of the crewe set up, as well as benefiting from being a bigger attractive fish at celtic.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am

Development coach Jamie Fullarton has left the club by "mutual consent", or mutual discontent...
https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 3434791936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:05 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Development coach Jamie Fullarton has left the club by "mutual consent", or mutual discontent...
https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 3434791936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting... under whose regime did he arrive?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 am

presumably the development team's job got easier when we got relegated - now they only have to develop them to the level where they'd get into a championship side - not a Premiership one!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

thebish wrote:presumably the development team's job got easier when we got relegated - now they only have to develop them to the level where they'd get into a championship side - not a Premiership one!
Guess. Go-on. I bet you can't ....

(but he used to be at Crystal Palace)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... t/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did wonder whether he was an Aberdeen fan but he's from Bellshill.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 am

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:presumably the development team's job got easier when we got relegated - now they only have to develop them to the level where they'd get into a championship side - not a Premiership one!

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... t/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting that he's off now - whereas Lennie went at the same time as dougie.. I wonder if it is too early for Lennon to have had a hand in this - or whether there was just some delay in the inevcitable to do with paperwork or summat...

if Lennon had summat to do with it - then maybe he has a shake-up in mind.. though it seems Jiminho and Lee seem to have survived..

what exactly WAS Fullarton's role? was he just a coach - or did have another brief?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:21 am

Agreed, though I read that Lennie was given the chance to hang around a couple of weeks but declined.

You never know what history exists I guess, plus the old "one has to exit for one to come in" may come to apply for the staff as well as players. I noted hat Jimmy P got name-checked yesterday in the interviews.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:25 am

bobo the clown wrote:

Was obviously a freedman regime guy & guess they shared similar views. Have no idea if he was good at his job. As has been debated in the past, it always seems strange that for an area that needs longer term planning, the club doesn't seem to have its own ethos/ arrangments that a manager fits into rather than one thats seemingly torn up every couple of years.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am

I thought - but may be wrong - that Fullarton was more of a Sammy Lee, bridge-to-the-first-team type. Although he may just have been Freedman's inside agent... Maybe more info will come out now he's gone.

Andy Hughes was "a Freedman guy". They're not necessarily all of a type.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am

Dr Hotdog actually goes and watches the stiffs - his opinion is worth noting...

here's his assessment from 1yr ago... (I've highlighted the ones whose names are more often mentioned...)
The future doesn't look great. These lads play too much Pro-Ev/Fifa. Pass & move, it's an easy game. Too many times our young pups tried to take their man on and dribble in silly situations. I've never seen a central midfielder give the ball away as many times as Josh Vela last night and Jan Gregus next to him was barely any better, although he did do a couple of piercing through balls which were impressive.

Tom Eaves still tries to control a looping/bouncing ball with the sole of his boot. Until that stops he'll never progress. It's like he's still 11. Pretty fecking embarrassing if you ask me.

The lad we signed from Sheff Weds, Hayden White, is a glorified sprinter. He doesn't know how to get his big, lanky frame into position in order to control the ball in a way that makes whateverhewantstodonext easier. Very quick, got back to make the odd last ditch tackle here and there at the cost of a corner. But that's not what good defending is about, primarily, is it?

The lad we signed from Millwall, Conor Wilkinson (sp), will never effect a game of football until he is willing and confident enough to do ANYTHING with his weaker (right) foot other than stand on it. He had chances to kick it, pass it, cross it, with his right foot, but always thought better of it and their lads nipped in and whatever momentum he had, was gone. Wilkinson did score. He could have slid it in with his right had he wanted to but instead dragged it back onto his left (narrowly avoided being tackled!) and smashed it in.

Tom Youngs missed a penalty. It was very poor. He won the penalty, clearly wanted to take it despite the odd protestation from a couple of the lads (Gregus seemed to be the Dead-Ball man, he'd earlier hit the bar with a 25-yard free kick), and then fluffed his line. Other than that he was very quick, nimble but with no real eye for a pass. Second half completely ineffective.

Chris Lester down the right was ineffective in both halves.

Now, in the second half they did something, tactically, which outfoxed our lot and paid dividends. Their No.10 Adnan Januzaj
came in from the wing and dictated the game from the middle of the park. He was unplayable. United pinched him from Belgium when he was 16. He's 18 now and was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. He delivered a free-kick which was pretty much undefendable. They scored an easy glancing header from it - a chance even Craig Davies couldn't miss if it hit his bulky shoulder. He didn't over-hit or under-hit any passes. He was bob-on.

Gutted. Fullarton stopped shouting at the lads in the second half. He didn't know how to deal with their shift in formation.