Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 21, 2023 12:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:47 pm
Yeah I don’t think it’s Dapo style wingers we need. It’s the hard running sort who can work hard have presence and ideally some pace.
Didn’t Dapo have some of our best tackling and covering stats?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 21, 2023 12:49 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yeah I don’t think it’s Dapo style wingers we need. It’s the hard running sort who can work hard have presence and ideally some pace.
I'm thinking there is/was some "revisionism" going on with Dapo. IE had him coming off the bench, towards the end of his time here. Many, as Insano says and I agree with were struggling with probably a winger, never a 10. And we needed/need a 10. The problem was, we got Shola...had we got a "10 Dapo" no one would have been bothered ...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 21, 2023 8:31 am

Sun May 21, 2023 12:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I’m not suggesting he was lazy, he played wing back a couple of times off the bench but I mean he’s a winger who profits round the edge of the area most. Up and down the line isn’t his natural game.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun May 21, 2023 9:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:32 pm
In terms of spirit and attitude this is the best Bolton team for many years.

The only lack of belief is with the ball. The belief that they can consistently make that pass, or that the touch of the receiving player will hold in a tough spot. You have to trust yourself and your team mate to do the most difficult things in the sport.

I think we need a couple of players in the middle that everyone else in the team trusts absolutely. Players everyone is always willing to pass to and who will always play the difficult ball that needs taking on.

Get them on the pitch and the change in this team will be dramatic. Once that change happens, it'll stick.

Give us 2 months with a 6 and 10 who will receive the ball in any situation and try any necessary pass and we'll storm this division. After that two months it won't matter if those new players are in the team, the change in mindset will be permanent for the group.
I assume that these two quality midfielders will need to be better than any of our current midfielders, therefore will cost money in either fee's or higher wages (or both) - have we got the money to sign such players ?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 9:34 am

This next season is important psychologically for Evatt, I think.

Every season thus far he's achieved less than he wanted, but could look back and say "We've really kicked on."

"Really kicking on" from a cup win and play-off fight is promotion. So if he doesn't go up it'll be tough on him, as well as tough on the sales pitch to new players.

This is a really easy project to sell at the moment. We're developing young players, rescuing lost careers and giving players who have never experienced real highs in the game cup wins at Wembley.

"Come to Bolton to be a become player and enjoy meaningful success" is a very strong pitch. We need to use it, lest it becomes "Come to Bolton and sort of bumble along in the top 8 of League One."

That's setting aside any financial issues we might be a year or two away from.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 21, 2023 9:34 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:25 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:32 pm
In terms of spirit and attitude this is the best Bolton team for many years.

The only lack of belief is with the ball. The belief that they can consistently make that pass, or that the touch of the receiving player will hold in a tough spot. You have to trust yourself and your team mate to do the most difficult things in the sport.

I think we need a couple of players in the middle that everyone else in the team trusts absolutely. Players everyone is always willing to pass to and who will always play the difficult ball that needs taking on.

Get them on the pitch and the change in this team will be dramatic. Once that change happens, it'll stick.

Give us 2 months with a 6 and 10 who will receive the ball in any situation and try any necessary pass and we'll storm this division. After that two months it won't matter if those new players are in the team, the change in mindset will be permanent for the group.
I assume that these two quality midfielders will need to be better than any of our current midfielders, therefore will cost money in either fee's or higher wages (or both) - have we got the money to sign such players ?
I think it’s clear that our spending is not going to be like Ipswich’s or Sheffield Wednesdays ever. But we are going to be able to match the levels Plymouth found.

For me it comes down to making the right calls and I’d say the last two windows we probably haven’t quite got it right.

However I think it’s clearer what we need now and we are working from a better base.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 21, 2023 9:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:34 am
This next season is important psychologically for Evatt, I think.

Every season thus far he's achieved less than he wanted, but could look back and say "We've really kicked on."

"Really kicking on" from a cup win and play-off fight is promotion. So if he doesn't go up it'll be tough on him, as well as tough on the sales pitch to new players.

This is a really easy project to sell at the moment. We're developing young players, rescuing lost careers and giving players who have never experienced real highs in the game cup wins at Wembley.

"Come to Bolton to be a become player and enjoy meaningful success" is a very strong pitch. We need to use it, lest it becomes "Come to Bolton and sort of bumble along in the top 8 of League One."

That's setting aside any financial issues we might be a year or two away from.
Yeah. Next season for me is where the question is answered as to whether Evatt is more a Sam Allardyce or a Phil Neal.

He’s got that Allardyce streak of evolving his methods and management over time and learning ruthlessly what is needed for success.

So I hope and think it’s the former. We are far closer to beating a cynical and physical team like Barnsley over two legs than we were last season but still not quite there.

If we fail next season with a similarly equipped squad then the question has to be asked whether we need someone more experienced to add that extra edge. Or just more magic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 10:53 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:25 am
Not necessarily "better", just with different qualities. When Morley and Dempsey have space (as at Wembley) they are excellent footballers.

We need players who can operate in tighter spaces and carry the ball through a press.

They'll probably cost some money, but then so did Morley and Dempsey.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 pm

Just topically, because I'm watching the Leeds v West Ham game - what we are looking for is the next Luke Ayling, Adam Forshaw, Aaron Creswell, etc.

We know there are players in non-league and the lower divisions who are capable of playing in the Premier League. Most people, even in the game, will look at them and fail to see their potential. We have to see what they can do at an elite level, rather than just what they can't do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 21, 2023 1:46 pm

Not sure if I did WYCOMBE's list properly, as they announced it in a whisper. Lewis Wing was mentioned as leaving, as are Curtis Thompson, Jordan Willis, Daryl Horgan and Nick Freeman. As of 10 May, per club site, "Talks are ongoing with Dominic Gape, Jack Wakely and Jordan Obita", but it's since emerged that Gape is leaving.

From what I can see, we're still waiting on word in our division from Ipswich and FGR, each of whom might lose suitable players for very different reasons, plus obvz the four play-off teams. In the Champo, a dozen or so non-playoffers remain unannounced, so maybe they'll start coming out soon.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 21, 2023 2:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 pm
Just topically, because I'm watching the Leeds v West Ham game - what we are looking for is the next Luke Ayling, Adam Forshaw, Aaron Creswell, etc.

We know there are players in non-league and the lower divisions who are capable of playing in the Premier League. Most people, even in the game, will look at them and fail to see their potential. We have to see what they can do at an elite level, rather than just what they can't do.
Not sure we'd be looking at their defenders after that goal be Rice!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 pm

BLACKBURN
Bradley Dack, Ben Brereton Diaz, Daniel Ayala and Dan Butterworth have all played their final games in Rovers’ colours and will leave Ewood Park this summer.

[Young 'uns] Dan Pike, Sam Burns and Aidan Dowling, along with second year scholars George Chmiel, Will Blease and Ryan Wilson, have also been informed that they will not be retained upon the expiration of their current agreements.

Under-23s trio Jared Harlock, Lenni Cirino and Alex Baker have all been informed that the club has taken up the option to extend their registration by a further 12 months, whilst Zak Gilsenan, Patrick Gamble and Isaac Whitehall have been offered new Rovers contracts.

The following scholars have also been offered their first professional contracts with the club: Dominik Biniek, Adam Caddick, Leo Duru, Ben Fyles and Charlie Olson.

Tyler Morton, Clinton Mola and Sorba Thomas will all return to their parent clubs following their loan spells at Ewood Park last season, whilst Dilan Markanday and James Brown will return to Rovers in pre-season following their loan spells with Aberdeen and Doncaster Rovers respectively.
HULL CITY
Forwards Tyler Smith and Billy Chadwick will not be retained when their contracts expire on 30th June. Smith scored five goals in 39 matches for the Tigers, while Hull-born Chadwick made nine senior appearances after progressing through the club’s academy. Left-back Callum Elder, as communicated earlier this month, will also be leaving after four years in East Yorkshire.

The club has exercised one-year options on captain Lewie Coyle, midfielder Greg Docherty and forward Vaughn Covil. Young goalkeeper David Robson, whose current contract expires this summer, has been offered a new deal.
MILLWALL
Defender Scott Malone and forward Mason Bennett will leave Championship club Millwall when their contracts expire at the end of next month. Left-back Malone, 32, has scored 14 goals in 189 appearances across three spells with the Lions. Bennett, 26, scored 11 times in 103 outings after joining from Derby in January 2020. Bennett featured 23 times this season without scoring while Malone played 34 times in all competitions as Millwall finished eighth in the Championship.

Meanwhile, the south-east London club have offered new deals to midfielder Ryan Leonard and goalkeeper Connal Trueman.
Can't find any announcements (barring the odd singular "Bob's off in summer") from Birmingham, Bristol City, Burnley, Cardiff, Sheff U, Watford, West Brom or the Pies, plus playoffers Cov, Luton Town, Boro and Sunlun.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 2:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:04 pm
Not sure we'd be looking at their defenders after that goal be Rice!
Somewhat awkwardly, both their centre backs were bought £10m+ when they were already a Prem team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 21, 2023 9:39 pm

Interesting to learn that the ever-flapping gob of Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has promised/threatened "We are going to deliver a young, dynamic, exciting team next season. I know people will say that means trying to do it on the cheap, but we will be going down the route of a quicker team who will play football in the right way. Our best players the other night were 20 years old, Ronnie Edwards and Ricky-Jade Jones when he came on.”

Also didn't realise Li'l Fergie was only on contract to the end of the season. Mouth Almighty wants him to stay, but of the first 50 respondents to a local 'paper poll, only 26 wanted him to stay and 24 wanted him gone – so there's some split decision for ya.

Apparently the deadline to announce release/retained lists is the third Saturday in May, which this year is the next one. Play-off finalists get an extra four days after their match.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm

Sun May 21, 2023 9:39 pm
Interesting to learn that the ever-flapping gob of Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has promised/threatened "We are going to deliver a young, dynamic, exciting team next season. I know people will say that means trying to do it on the cheap, but we will be going down the route of a quicker team who will play football in the right way. Our best players the other night were 20 years old, Ronnie Edwards and Ricky-Jade Jones when he came on.”

Also didn't realise Li'l Fergie was only on contract to the end of the season. Mouth Almighty wants him to stay, but of the first 50 respondents to a local 'paper poll, only 26 wanted him to stay and 24 wanted him gone – so there's some split decision for ya.
I hope Fergie moves on. He'll be useless anywhere else. but he always does well with Posh. I think a few on here thought I was nuts when I said he'd have them bothering the play-offs, but it was inevitable. He does extremely well with young players and he wants to play attacking football. Get him out of there and they'll end up midtable.

I do wonder what direction we'll go in. Whether Evatt will want to add youth and energy, or "wise old heads." He signed Jerome to be an example to our "talented, young strikers" - will he do similar in midfield? Or are we going to try to add the kinds of midfielders we can make proper money from if they do well?

You've got lads like Noah Chilvers (who *someone* will take a gamble on this summer) knocking around in League Two. But with Morley and Thomason already in the mix I'm sure some will worry about a lack of "leadership", or however they choose to phrase it, in the middle.

If Lee moves on there's very much a lack of "been there, done that" in that compartment. Generally in the squad, actually. You usually want at least two experienced pros who can serve as an example at the training ground every day for the younger lads. We can't be paying two full playing wages out if they're not going to kick a ball, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm

Sun May 21, 2023 9:39 pm

Apparently the deadline to announce release/retained lists is the third Saturday in May, which this year is the next one. Play-off finalists get an extra four days after their match.
Peterborough have some really potentially exciting players. If they are harnessed correctly they could be outstanding.

I’d swap their attack for ours any day.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 10:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm
Peterborough have some really potentially exciting players. If they are harnessed correctly they could be outstanding.

Posh put a lot into talent ID for attackers. They prioritise pace and technical ability. They also use traditional scouting in non-league a lot more than other clubs at their level tend to, so they hoover up talents as they're competing against minnows.

They do have a high turnover and a lot of failures, but the successes fund the club. Their willingness/ability to spend money on really young talents in League Two is something I'd love for us.

Personally, I'd not trade ours for theirs with how we want to play football; but teams will be more frightened by their attack as things stand. This isn't next season's squad, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 21, 2023 11:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm

Posh put a lot into talent ID for attackers. They prioritise pace and technical ability. They also use traditional scouting in non-league a lot more than other clubs at their level tend to, so they hoover up talents as they're competing against minnows.

They do have a high turnover and a lot of failures, but the successes fund the club. Their willingness/ability to spend money on really young talents in League Two is something I'd love for us.

Personally, I'd not trade ours for theirs with how we want to play football; but teams will be more frightened by their attack as things stand. This isn't next season's squad, though.
We are going to need to become more transitional at times if we want to go up ala Wembley and having the pace Peterborough have would be really exciting. But yeah let’s see what next season brings. We need to add some of that pace and dribbling to offer more balance.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 11:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:04 pm
We need to add some of that pace and dribbling to offer more balance.
Yes we do and we tried in January. Shoretire, Nlundulu and Williams were suppose to give us that. In fairness, those three are all in the top 5 for dribbling stats of the squad that finished the season. Then again, that probably says more about the lack of dribbling overall. Our only player who would have made Posh's top 5 was Bradley.

It may be that we go into next season with all three of those still on the books, or it could just be Randell still here; but regardless we'll be after more. At the very least we'll hopefully look for athleticism and technical ability on the right and in another forward. Hopefully we also get more at 10 and another option on the left.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun May 21, 2023 11:35 pm

A few of the names have already been mooted in this thread, but I've thrown together a list of keepers who we might be interested in this summer.