Wanderers v Hillbilly Banjo players

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers v Hillbilly Banjo players

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Shirley there can't have been me alone that thought, at the time of Mavies's sending off that -

Under Allardyce, when the other side went down to 10 men we never pressed home the advantage.

And that under Coyle going down to 10 men means that we play a more open game.

Never in doubt :D :oops:

Also, there can't have been me alone that thought that Coyle was going to haul Elmo off for the Moo. What a fecking masterstroke tucking Elmo into wide right.

Oh, and Petrov, it's not all about you, son!
May the bridges I burn light your way

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Excellent game and performance AFTER we went down to 10 men, before that I didn't think that we showed enough energy, played too many long balls which Davies didn't get, Blackburn stifled us drawing us into their style and we forgot about our new footballing style. Then Mavies goes off and Muamba comes on and it all changed for me. Much more energy, much more football, much more commitment and passing on the ground.

Super goal from Muamba, but like others I was thinking pass the ball, but he scored and it may be the first time he has ever kept the ball down and on target at the same time. Could be the making of him, just watch his attacking confidence grow now.

I thought that Blackburn huffed and puffed a lot but didn't really make the extra man count, their goal was well made but I did think that Cahill deflected the ball over Jussi. BUT what a response and what a player Holden is becoming, and excellent control of the ball and finish for the winning goal. I wasn't sure that he was fully fit earlier in the game and expected him to be subbed but after Davies went off and his usual parner Muamba came on he seemed to get a second wind and was close to our best player for the last 40mins.

Didn't think much of the ref's performance, but al least he didn't give a penalty against Knight when the ball hit is arm in the area. He had no idea about it and it wasn't deliberate but you do see them given. Mavies is always a disaster waiting to happen but I thought that he was unfortunate today to get two yellows. The ref made quite a few strange decisions and I wasn't surprised at the 6mins of injury time, he doesn't like us and K Davies in particular.

But forget that, a great battling performance all round for the last 40mins or so and a well deserved win. One last thought though, did we really used to play like Blackburn when Sam :twisted: was our manager? I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that we have Coyle now, what a motivator he must be. :D :D :D :D :D

COME ON YOU WHITES back to 5th and lets hope that Chelsea beat Spurs so that we can stay there!!!!!! :pray:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:07 pm

The stream died for me at the 84 minute mark (actually they closed the channel and switched me to a Spanish game). So I missed the last two goals (probably a good thing given my advancing years). Anyway, c'mon Chelski!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:The stream died for me at the 84 minute mark (actually they closed the channel and switched me to a Spanish game). So I missed the last two goals (probably a good thing given my advancing years). Anyway, c'mon Chelski!
I'll give you the image Monty. During the last 10 mins they played just like the leafs did last night. Always here to help. :grin:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Excuse my lack of rational thought and cynicism of the rest of the performance, but....

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Sometimes you need to throw caution to the wind and think, "sod it, it's shit or bust here". Owen did it against Blackpool, it worked. He didn't at City, we lost. We did it today, we scored the winner nine seconds after we conceded. Sod the clean sheet. We won with ten men against a team we've never beaten the easy way. I'll repeat....

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm

seanworth wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:The stream died for me at the 84 minute mark (actually they closed the channel and switched me to a Spanish game). So I missed the last two goals (probably a good thing given my advancing years). Anyway, c'mon Chelski!
I'll give you the image Monty. During the last 10 mins they played just like the leafs did last night. Always here to help. :grin:
:evil:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:27 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:Followed him to the bench and gave him what for.

Coyles the gaffer and if he wants him off then he should repect that.
Tomorrow morning will be great. Owen, ever the diplomat, gives him praise for what he did, and explains the decision. Petrov, possibly the diva, gives initial stroppage before realising it was the right decision.

I know who's going to get the backing of everyone else for it. I understand Petrov's frustration, because he played better than most today. However, you need to see the bigger picture sometimes, especially when down to ten men.

Oh, MoM - Robinson, our walking disciplinary record, by a country fecking mile.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mark Clattenburg - the new Mike Riley. He hates us doesn't he?
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Despite all he did for us I'm soo glad we dont have to watch Sam Allardyce's teams every week. Typically he set them up to stifle us with 3 in the middle and after a bright start we got a bit sucked into their long ball rubbish. Nice to win it with one though :oyea:

Thought both full backs and Jussi were great today. Elmo wont have a worse half of football than he did in the 1st but he battled well in the 2nd. Good to see Coyle slap down Petrov's petulance too. In contrast with Mancini's lame attempt to laugh off Tevez's last week (lot of good it did him too).

One v happy Wanderer tonight :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:36 pm

I've just come off the back of a top works do, a great gig, my netball team won away with a team record comeback of 25 points... and I looked at this fixture and thought theres no way we'd take something! Not with our record v Dirtburn.

Wasn't a great performance for most of it. They had us in terms of restricting our newfound passing game with good pressing and they knew that if they left it to the back four then we'd just toss it forward, and they could deal with that very well.

Not a good game to try the Holden-Mavies formation. They looked very lightweight against a robust Blackburn 3-man midfield. Davies will be frustrated that he will have to miss a game, but unfortunately if we give Clattenberg those sorts of decisions to make then he's gonna go against us every time.

Two cracking finishes, Holdens just blew the house down.

I note FiO doesn't mention the fans. 24,500 with an empty away top tier give or take 200 or em. Decent turnout, be nice to get a full un before end of the season.

Robbo - a worthy MOM. Steady before the sending off, and immense after it. Like having two players at times.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm

H-A-P-P-Y...

Dull first half, Blackburn dominating the last part of it. Better the second. The irony is that the sending off led to Blackburn deciding to try and win the game by some other means than a set piece, and suddenly, for the first time, we had a little space in midfield. Owen's sub was right - Muamba starts next game, and, I hope, every one after. If not, while the Mavies/Holden combo didn't convince today it was against a tight five-man midfield and it does take time to build an understanding and partnership and it isn't hopeless. But Moo and Holden works very, very nicely...

The difference between this manager's approach to the task and a previous one whose name I cannot recall is a chasm very deep and very, very wide.

And TFFT! Aldi champagne in fridge. We know how to push the boat out in Bolton. :D :D :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I thought Zat Knight was also immense today at the back, meself. At times he was organising Cahill, and putting his head in where he could. If anything, i felt Cahill looked a little off the pace.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:45 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:I've just come off the back of a top works do, a great gig, my netball team won away with a team record comeback of 25 points... and I looked at this fixture and thought theres no way we'd take something! Not with our record v Dirtburn.

Wasn't a great performance for most of it. They had us in terms of restricting our newfound passing game with good pressing and they knew that if they left it to the back four then we'd just toss it forward, and they could deal with that very well.

Not a good game to try the Holden-Mavies formation. They looked very lightweight against a robust Blackburn 3-man midfield. Davies will be frustrated that he will have to miss a game, but unfortunately if we give Clattenberg those sorts of decisions to make then he's gonna go against us every time.

I note FiO doesn't mention the fans. 24,500 with an empty away top tier give or take 200 or em. Decent turnout, be nice to get a full un before end of the season.

Robbo - a worthy MOM. Steady before the sending off, and immense after it. Like having two players at times.
Spot on! A monster performance. The slightest mistiming with tackles that ferocious would have been a certain red. Never happened. His best game for us ever. :D

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:50 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:I've just come off the back of a top works do, a great gig, my netball team won away with a team record comeback of 25 points... and I looked at this fixture and thought theres no way we'd take something! Not with our record v Dirtburn.

Fair point mate, a good turn out but surprisingly less than against Balckpool. But well done to all those who did turn up as it sounded like they lifted the team very well after we went down to 10 men, sounded somewhat quiet before that but that's not surprising at the way we were playing.

Those who don't go are missing some great games of football at the Reebok, I'm amazed that there is an empty seat in the ground where else can you see such good football matches week in week out? The commentary we got in OZ was very complementary about our style of play under Coyle and very very derogatory of the way Balckburn play under Sam. And that is not a surprise at what we saw today, they are a very poor team with very little to offer in terms of footballing skill or enjoyment.

But the Whites are so different now that its a bit scary when commentators and the press like us, its a pity that some of the refs don't!!!!
Last edited by FaninOz on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I thought Zat Knight was also immense today at the back, meself. At times he was organising Cahill, and putting his head in where he could. If anything, i felt Cahill looked a little off the pace.
Distribution shocking though

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 pm

A great win and so nice to watch the smile drop off the fat ones face.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:52 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 280062.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

diddums... I LOVE IT :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:53 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I thought Zat Knight was also immense today at the back, meself. At times he was organising Cahill, and putting his head in where he could. If anything, i felt Cahill looked a little off the pace.
Distribution shocking though
Aye, but lets walk before we run.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Lee frustrated me a few times in the first half. He would steal the ball deep in the defensive end, and instead of just kicking it out for a throw in would try to lump it up the field, but not having the positioning basically knock it to the Blackburn midfield offering us no respite.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Yeah Robbo was pretty incredible.

Not a great game, but the finish more than made up for it. There's not a lot you can say other than be chuffed about it.

Disapointed in Petrov, he was winning me round by the fact that he worked hard and played really quite well. I felt it was harsh that he was brought off. He acted like a nice person though. I'm not having the Roberto Mancini-style 'I want my players to be unhappy when they come off'. There's being unhappy, and there's being a dick.

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eire_Trotter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Delighted to beat Big Sam's B'burn this time around as it is actually helpin us progress up the top half of the table.

Happy for Holden getting another goal, he seems to be getting better and better the more he plays.

Lets hope we can kick on and get another few good results and make it a very happy christmas to all the wanderers and trotters out there :pissed: .