Wanderers Vs Man U

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers Vs Man U

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:God I hope so. Then when we get bummed 4-0 I hope OC realises that that doesn't mean 4-4-2 was right, just that 4-5-1 stopped it being 8-0.
For an intelligent poster thats one of the worst posts I've seen!
Yuuuup, well, you did feel the need to start an entire thread about an off hand comment by a vacuous WAG reported by a bottom feeding rag-tag journo, so I'm gonna hold off on giving a shit.

But seriously, if we go 4-5-1 and get beat, I hope it doesn't mean OC discards the idea and reaffirms his marriage to 4-4-2. An exaggerated version of which is apparently one of the worst posts you've seen. Oh my.
If you really think putting Mark Davies in for Klasnic means we will lose 4-0 as opposed to 8-0 then that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Fact is whatever system we play we will struggle to contain them. Isolating Kev up front and letting them push right up on us isn't the answer. If we are going to play one up then that player needs to have pace and running in his legs to stop Man Utd pushing up and just sitting in our half.

Fact is we are not great at sitting back so let's get on the front foot and have a go. Doing that got us a draw last year. If Utd play well we are fooked either way, might as well get at them as opposed to worrying about what happens if they play really well, cos should that happen Mark Davies in for Klasnic will make feck all difference!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I think you must have taken one of Bish's literal pills.

Yeah let's 'have a go'. That should be enough. Probably best not bother with tactics, or a plan, coz all we really need is a positive mental attitude.

Why don't we stick 4 up front then? That worked against Blackpool. Let's do that. We probably don't need the ball or anything. There are no compromises, it's gung ho glory or meek surrender. We played 4-4-2 last season with our set of different players against their set of different players in a different game with different form and different dynamics in an otherwise IDENTICAL situation. And we got a point! Doing with same with a far less mobile front two against a rampant United cannot fail. And any other suggestion is so stupid it must have been written by somebody literally on drugs!

As it goes, yeah, I'd like us to show a bit more nous both away from home, and at home against the big boys. By all means try to get at them, and if we are level with 20 minutes to go maybe stick another striker on, and I'm not suggesting we play three holding midfielders and the two wide players as secondary full backs. I'd just like to see OC have some craft to go with his admirable positivity. Mark Davies (or I'd rather Tuncay) playing just off Davo, with two holding midfielders protecting the areas the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Young and Cleverly like to get into, whilst giving license to Petrov, Tuncay, and Eagles to break whenever we can play the ball into Davies doesn't seem more negative than having to immobile lumps up top providing no pressure on the ball defensively, allowing United players with confidence, youth, imagination to get at our unprotected middle two and through them our unprotected back line, which has proven itself wonderfully competent whenever anyone runs at it. No such thing as a negative, or positive formation.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Would like to see a 4-4-1-1 with Tuncay in there - we could even tweak rednose by leaving SKD on the bench.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 pm

only 3 teams so far have scored more than 6 goals this season, Bolton, Man U, and Man C. Not too bad really, we might as well just go for it today like we did last season in the game that ended 2-2, another result like that wouldn't be too shabby

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers Vs Man Un

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:I think you must have taken one of Bish's literal pills.

Yeah let's 'have a go'. That should be enough. Probably best not bother with tactics, or a plan, coz all we really need is a positive mental attitude.

Why don't we stick 4 up front then? That worked against Blackpool. Let's do that. We probably don't need the ball or anything. There are no compromises, it's gung ho glory or meek surrender. We played 4-4-2 last season with our set of different players against their set of different players in a different game with different form and different dynamics in an otherwise IDENTICAL situation. And we got a point! Doing with same with a far less mobile front two against a rampant United cannot fail. And any other suggestion is so stupid it must have been written by somebody literally on drugs!

As it goes, yeah, I'd like us to show a bit more nous both away from home, and at home against the big boys. By all means try to get at them, and if we are level with 20 minutes to go maybe stick another striker on, and I'm not suggesting we play three holding midfielders and the two wide players as secondary full backs. I'd just like to see OC have some craft to go with his admirable positivity. Mark Davies (or I'd rather Tuncay) playing just off Davo, with two holding midfielders protecting the areas the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Young and Cleverly like to get into, whilst giving license to Petrov, Tuncay, and Eagles to break whenever we can play the ball into Davies doesn't seem more negative than having to immobile lumps up top providing no pressure on the ball defensively, allowing United players with confidence, youth, imagination to get at our unprotected middle two and through them our unprotected back line, which has proven itself wonderfully competent whenever anyone runs at it. No such thing as a negative, or positive formation.
Fact is I agree that we need an alternative to the system, I just dont think leaving Kev up on his own for 90 minutes is the answer anymore and suggesting that it would make a 4 goal difference is just silly. Fact is with Tuncay we have the kind of lad who could play in the hole or out wide and make us more a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 to give us options. With NGog we have a more mobile central striker.

However, I'm not having the notion that packing the midfield is the holy grail. Certainly packing it with Davies will not make us any more solid. We don't have the players for the soak up pressure game, and even if we did I feel Man Utd are far too good for that. This is a freebie, we don't expect owt so lets get out there and have a go game before the real pressure of next week. Going attritional with Kev up on his own would just be detrimental.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:I think you must have taken one of Bish's literal pills.
oi!! leave me out of this - fight your own battles matey - nowt to do with me! :whack:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 pm

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Well! Can't even go for a bit of good old hyperbole with folk doing imagination fails. If you think I am actually suggesting going 4-5-1 over 4-4-2 would make a four goal difference, BWFCi, then I'd suggest you are very careful when choosing what books to read, because if you accidentally wander past non-fiction, it might, might, blow your mind.

There is a serious discussion to be had here, but it is tempting to avoid it when folk throw in comments like, "For an intelligent poster thats one of the worst posts I've seen!". Just to reassure you, I don't think any of our players will actually be sodomised by any of the United players either. Viciously or otherwise.

As for packing the midfield, again, I'm not suggesting that, certainly not to the point where it isolates Kev. Equally shrugging and laughing it off as an inevitable defeat, and a freebie is just as cowardly as meek surrender in my view. It's 11v11. Yes, eleven extremely talented, expensively assembled players on one side, but in a one off game it is possible to beat them. I'd rather us do what we can to have a go at that. If any evidence were needed for the, I thought, self-evident notion that KD and Klasnic together up top is absolutely not the way forward against teams unlikely to surrender much of the ball, it came pouring through two weeks ago at Anfield.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:Well! Can't even go for a bit of good old hyperbole with folk doing imagination fails. If you think I am actually suggesting going 4-5-1 over 4-4-2 would make a four goal difference, BWFCi, then I'd suggest you are very careful when choosing what books to read, because if you accidentally wander past non-fiction, it might, might, blow your mind.

There is a serious discussion to be had here, but it is tempting to avoid it when folk throw in comments like, "For an intelligent poster thats one of the worst posts I've seen!". Just to reassure you, I don't think any of our players will actually be sodomised by any of the United players either. Viciously or otherwise.

As for packing the midfield, again, I'm not suggesting that, certainly not to the point where it isolates Kev. Equally shrugging and laughing it off as an inevitable defeat, and a freebie is just as cowardly as meek surrender in my view. It's 11v11. Yes, eleven extremely talented, expensively assembled players on one side, but in a one off game it is possible to beat them. I'd rather us do what we can to have a go at that. If any evidence were needed for the, I thought, self-evident notion that KD and Klasnic together up top is absolutely not the way forward against teams unlikely to surrender much of the ball, it came pouring through two weeks ago at Anfield.
I suspect that rather like when Sam was manager and there were games we lost and drew there for the taking had we put extra up front but didn't, there will always be games where we might have snuck something under Coyle had we been more circumspect. He's not that kind of manager and I guess better to accept that than worry about what may be. Long as he keeps improving us, I will live with going for the odd game and getting a thumping!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:17 pm

In the automated, predictable, tactically oreientated world that football's become, oh for a JJ who could do a bit of the unexpected and unpredictable stuff that turns games on their heads. Oh for us to get stuck into the backs of players going for balls and hassling them instead of running off them in true tactical fashion. Oh for a vintage Bolton display instead of a tippy-tappy, look how pretty we can play game. Get stuck in the fxckers.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:19 pm

So, United fans. C*nts to a man eh?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:19 pm

But why do we have to accept that? There are many reasons to praise Coyle, is it that unreasonable to be frustrated by his, apparent so far, refusal to be shifted from his dogmatic devotion to 4-4-2? There is no reason why we can't keep the swashbuckling a win and a loss is better than two draws approach to the majority of games, whilst accepting (bam) that occasionally we have to try to box a bit more cleverly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:So, United fans. C*nts to a man eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97pdv392DM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:But why do we have to accept that? There are many reasons to praise Coyle, is it that unreasonable to be frustrated by his, apparent so far, refusal to be shifted from his dogmatic devotion to 4-4-2? There is no reason why we can't keep the swashbuckling a win and a loss is better than two draws approach to the majority of games, whilst accepting (bam) that occasionally we have to try to box a bit more cleverly.
You live in an ideal world though. Our manager has built an attacking squad to play a game he clearly favours. Takes a bit to suddenly become a solid soak it up and hit on the break side!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:41 pm

No-one has suggested sitting back and hitting on the break though. Just putting in a mobile midfielder in instead of an immobile striker. No camping men behind the ball, no playing for set pieces, no massive change in style, just a bit of intelligence. Compete in midfield and look to get numbers forward in the same style.

I don't think it is being an idealist to hope for the otherwise admirable manager to be a bit less dense against the teams with far superior squads. Let's forget, OC's record against the big boys for us, shambolic Arsenal aside, is pretty piss poor. His record against everybody else is very good. It really isn't that much to change the approach for a few games a season.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Our results against the top 4 have been pretty poor for about 5 years, and spanning a few style changes. I'm not sure, considering how much wider the gulf has become recently, how we can vastly improve on last season's top four results. Perhaps less capitulations would be nice.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

@OfficialBWFC
Wanderers Subs: Bogdan, Muamba, Tuncay, Pratley, Ngog, Kakuta, Wheater

@OfficialBWFC
Wanderers: Jaaskelainen, Robinson, Cahill, Eagles, Petrov, Knight, K Davies, M Davies, Klasnic, Reo-Coker, Boyata

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

LL will be bloody loving Steinsson not being in the side!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:38 pm

He's definitely going for it then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I was all up for two up front but M Davies and NRC in midfield sounds a bit like suicide to me. Would have had Muamba in there myself for today!